Sam Bennett - most needed change of scenery ever or hot streak?

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
Bennett
Fox
Jankowski

and no players since 2017 (only Valimaki) that was drafted by the flames played 1 NHL games. Brutal

I'll hammer on the club as much as the next guy, but the addition of Fox is disingenuous.

If anything it shows that drafting him was a huge coup.

Not the Flames fault that he went full bitch and refused to play for them.

Followed it up by f***ing over Carolina as well.

With regards to Bennett, he was given every opportunity to play with skilled players. In turn he took stupid penalties and played like shit. Yes, he would give you flashes of brilliance, but that lasted for about 4-5 games, then went back to being a garbage player.

It's great he is playing well for Florida, looks like he's actually giving a shit, something he rarely displayed in Calgary. Of course, he certainly wasn't alone in this regard. When your most consistent player is Looch.....you're not winning many games.

Last edited:

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
No. He's playing like a 2C. He's carrying the puck, dishing passes...
Some people see what they want to see. I’ve seen tips around the net, rebounds and pretty straight forward passes. I don’t see a different level of skill than we’ve seen from the guy. He looks rejuvenated, which is obvious.

I like the guy and really wanted the Canes to get him. I just see all this fuss and talk like he’s a different player. He’s the same player in a different situation. He must be licking his chops to have his current role be “give the puck to Huberdeau, forecheck, grind, go to the net....and give the puck to Huberdeau.” That guy makes a lot of people look good.

He’s not playing different and the passes he’s making aren’t complicated. He’s got a lot of understandable energy and he’s making the most of this change. To go from the mess in Calgary to a rising team headed for the playoffs is probably the best thing that’s happened to him professionally in a long time.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
In fairness, the management felt nostalgic about the 90s when they gave away a player to a florida team and he ended up becoming a key cog in Tampas cup win. They thought they would be fair and give the other Florida team a shot. Good guys over there.
The trade isn't a big deal because I knew he would pop and was preparing myself for him to be moved. It's everything that led up to it

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I can sympathize. In the heart of the Oilers garbage days, there was many players who would leave and light it up elsewhere. See Schultz or even Strome recently

A lot of it does have to do with the locker room/culture and once a player is free from that, they take big steps

I wanted Bennett earlier in the year, I always thought he could have a Benoit Pouliot style of career and turn into a solid 3rd liner

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
I will cheer for Bennett as a Flames fan while continuing to hate our management.

We never gave him a fair chance for any length of time with good players.

He was also our best playoff player each and every year.

Second paragraph says it all.

Flames did right by him by trading him. Respect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad