Sam Bennett - most needed change of scenery ever or hot streak?

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Not sure what is more impressive, his individual stats or his possession stats.

In his 6 games as a Panther:
4g 3a 7p +8 (all even strength points)
21 Shots 20 Hits 5 Drawn Penalties
17:41 TOI (averaging 20 mins his last 4 games)

Speaking of even strength play, he's posted a 74.1% xGF% at even strength.

What a pickup for the Panthers.

The cool thing is, as he and they keep getting these chances, Bennett has another gear offensively. So far his goals have been "garbage" goals and his assists have been perimeter assists. This is a guy just trying to bump and grind for now.

But we've seen on the past that his repertoire has an array of one-timers, backhands, wraparounds and slick passes which he abandons when he's feeling less good about his game. The confidence is building - he's having fun out there and we'll start seeing the full extent of his skillset. Every mistake isn't being converted at the other end since the four guys out there with him are good on the forecheck. The floodgates are waiting to open when he scores a "pretty" goal.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Really? I thought he's looked pretty good, made some real nice setups etc. Looks like he's been struggling with puck luck though.

At 5v5 he's 6.14 xGF and 2.93 xGA but only 2 GF and 2GA (2.67 on ice sh%)

He's a trainwreck defensively and that cancels out the few good offensive plays he makes. You have to be playing pretty bad to not look good with Barkov.

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
If you're ever considering wasting time by watching a Craig Button segment, remember that he insisted that Bennett was a bottom 6 grinder wing, but that Nolan Patrick was a future franchise 1C.

Reactions: Panthers Propaganda

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
Button called Maroon a nothing player when Edmonton traded for him and Maroon scored 27-30 next to McDavid lol

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
If you're ever considering wasting time by watching a Craig Button segment, remember that he insisted that Bennett was a bottom 6 grinder wing, but that Nolan Patrick was a future franchise 1C.
Bennett has played most of his career like a bottom six grinder, and those attributes are what’s making him him fit in with the skill players in Florida. It’s not like the guy is suddenly going end to end. Most of the plays I’ve seen he’s mucking and grinding away same as always, he’s either giving the puck to high skill players or following them to the net to finish their play by going to the dirty areas....like a bottom six grinder.

Reactions: Anantika

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
I have always been a big fan of Bennett. Not sure if he can maintain the offensive consistency but always felt there was more potential there.

Necrobutcher

Sep 20, 2018
Tampere, Finland
Bennett has played most of his career like a bottom six grinder, and those attributes are what’s making him him fit in with the skill players in Florida. It’s not like the guy is suddenly going end to end. Most of the plays I’ve seen he’s mucking and grinding away same as always, he’s either giving the puck to high skill players or following them to the net to finish their play by going to the dirty areas....like a bottom six grinder.
No. Like a top six grinder. :naughty:

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
He's now 4th in the league in scoring since his first game with the Panthers (4/16) behind only Huberdeau, Zibanejad, and McDavid.

7gp 4g 6a 10p +10

He's also
3rd in ES scoring
1st in penalties drawn
2nd in +/-
6th in SOG
14th in hits

And of course, he's 1st in PIMs due to that fighting major + 10 min misconduct.

Even if he wasn't scoring this would be a very valuable player. Can't believe Calgary had him in their bottom 6 haha.

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
No. He's playing like a 2C. He's carrying the puck, dishing passes...

Reactions: Two4Fighting

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad