Confirmed with Link: Salvador Named Next Devils' Captain

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
Wasn't Kovy the one that knew Rolson was a goal away from a milestone and did a back pass to him?

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
Wasn't Kovy the one that bought the playoff clothing for the entire team? Kovy is the closest to Stevens as a captain this team has. I am not knocking Salvador, I just think Kovy is a great leader for this or any team.

Clothing has nothing to do with time and effort it takes to organize what the captains need to do.

Your best player shouldn't automatically be captain - and that's a trend around the NHL I personally hate.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Wasn't Kovy the one that bought the playoff clothing for the entire team? Kovy is the closest to Stevens as a captain this team has. I am not knocking Salvador, I just think Kovy is a great leader for this or any team.

He is a great leader, no doubt about that. Which is why I don't think that not giving him the 'C' will stop him from leading this team. Elias has been arguably this teams most influential leader on and off the ice without the captaincy. The letter on the jersey may be symbolic of one's leadership but in the dressing room and on the ice, guys like Kovalchuk and Elias will lead this team just as much as Sal will.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
Clothing has nothing to do with time and effort it takes to organize what the captains need to do.

Your best player shouldn't automatically be captain - and that's a trend around the NHL I personally hate.

What the hell does a captain do off the ice? I don't think Kovy should be captain because he is the best player, but because he cares about the team more than anyone else.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Yes. He's too polarizing to be an effective leader. He's worn the "C" but has he ever really captained a team? Truly be a veteran leader? We need a guy who will invite 18-19 year olds to stay in their house, bring them over for Christmas, and truly raise a team. Something this team has desperately been searching for since the very first little of Langs being captain and Stevens was absolutely a beast at being that guy.

Kovy needs to be Kovy on and off the ice. Being a player's captain isn't in his style.

Perfect example, Stevens took Arnott under his wing when Arnott was first traded here - let Arnott live with him and helped straighten him out a bit because he had some minor attitude issues when he was with Edm

Wasn't Kovy the one that knew Rolson was a goal away from a milestone and did a back pass to him?

As I already mentioned and as Lou and the coaches have mentioned countless times, there are a ton of leaders on this team and the letter is just simply a letter

PWiz30

I love to hockey!
Jan 3, 2013
A whole lot of internal factors come into play when naming a captain. I wouldn't presume to judge the decision considering all we see are a few interviews and on-ice play. Until a player acts in a clearly "anti-captain" way (Langenbrunner) I'll trust the coaches.

This. Although from what we see from the outside Sal is the best choice IMO. Veteran guy who his teammates seem like they would do anything for.

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
What the hell does a captain do off the ice? I don't think Kovy should be captain because he is the best player, but because he cares about the team more than anyone else.

The captain is the link between the players and everything else off the ice.

They need to bring something to the coaches or organization? The overwhelming majority of the time that goes through the captain. People don't realize that kind of thing. I think the game is changing in that a lot of assistant coaches and even head coaches are different now with email, texting, etc. But back when, the coaches, equipment guys, organization guys, etc. didn't want 20+ guys calling them all the time about stuff.

The captain also delegates and helps handle a lot of PR type stuff - who needs to go to what public events and stuff like that. They help negotiate how many events they'll do a year, how many things they'll sign, and so on.

Being captain is a HELL OF A LOT more then just playing and caring about the team above all else.

Salvador seems to be the right kind of politician of sorts to smooth over all these wrinkles that might happen. Look at Stevens, people respected him and he could bring a team together. Langs had that once, and then it fractured and tore the people apart. Salvador, I feel, can keep the **** together if something heads the wrong way.

RandoDoomer

Apr 6, 2007
Bridgewater, NJ
Eh, I guess I'm cool with it. But given his age and injury history, I was sort of hoping for a longer-term captain. But whatever. Maybe one of the younger guys will be ready in a couple years when Salvo is done.

Based Anime Fan

Himedanshi Bandit
Mar 11, 2012
Tokai
Tom Gulitti @TGfireandice: Bryce Salvador named Al MacInnis as the captain he learned most from. Was his D partner when he broke into league with St. Louis

This is 100% cool with me. MacInnis was an incredible leader in his day, and was a solid player and person.

Mory Schneideur*

Elias seemed to be okay with it. But I don't see how we would strip it from Kovy. The only thing he cares about is winning and his teammates.

To me the captain isn't someone who talks to the refs as that adds no value, but is someone that will kick a teammate in the ass if they aren't doing something right.

I feel this is pretty spot on.

Mory Schneideur*

Love how people know who cares about the team the most.

One would think they clean their houses and bang their wives.

Same can be said for some people and their expert analysis here. You would think they get paid for their services by the organization lol.

Based Anime Fan

Himedanshi Bandit
Mar 11, 2012
Tokai
Perfect example, Stevens took Arnott under his wing when Arnott was first traded here - let Arnott live with him and helped straighten him out a bit because he had some minor attitude issues when he was with Edm

I'd have attitude problems too if I had to put up with what he did when he was there. They booed him everytime he touched the puck. And he was THEIR player.

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
To me the captain isn't someone who talks to the refs as that adds no value, but is someone that will kick a teammate in the ass if they aren't doing something right.

Valid, valid point. But not only do they need to kick the teammate's ass, but then also know the teammate isn't taking something the wrong way.

Again, look at the room fractures from Langs. Stevens used to jump down people's throats and there was never any question about why.

I honestly believe that Salvador can have that quality about him.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
The captain is the link between the players and everything else off the ice.

They need to bring something to the coaches or organization? The overwhelming majority of the time that goes through the captain. People don't realize that kind of thing. I think the game is changing in that a lot of assistant coaches and even head coaches are different now with email, texting, etc. But back when, the coaches, equipment guys, organization guys, etc. didn't want 20+ guys calling them all the time about stuff.

The captain also delegates and helps handle a lot of PR type stuff - who needs to go to what public events and stuff like that. They help negotiate how many events they'll do a year, how many things they'll sign, and so on.

Being captain is a HELL OF A LOT more then just playing and caring about the team above all else.

Salvador seems to be the right kind of politician of sorts to smooth over all these wrinkles that might happen. Look at Stevens, people respected him and he could bring a team together. Langs had that once, and then it fractured and tore the people apart. Salvador, I feel, can keep the **** together if something heads the wrong way.

Yea pretty sure there is an intern that does all that crap. I just think Kovy is the captain of the team already, but the Devils want to wait another 3 years so Kovy has 5 seasons with the club before they give it to him.

Getzo5

The Punisher
Feb 13, 2010
Presov, SVK
It`s not that Kovy wouldn`t deserve to be a captain now, or wouldn`t be a good choice. There are simply more reasons why it`s smarter to wait and see what`s going to happen in the next few years.

Not to mention Sal does deserve this, now. That`s really all you need to know.

Same can be said for some people and their expert analysis here. You would think they get paid for their services by the organization lol.
Whoa, you really did recognize yourself in that post?

Not by this orgaization, but you`re close.

You two should exchange numbers. ;)

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey

If you're trying to make a dig at me, come right out and say it. Don't pander about. I openly criticize many things about the org, closed practices, anti-fan attitudes, and even the Zajac contract pricing...

And if not, I'm truly story for being defensive about it.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
I didn't want Kovy as captain. I don't like captains with overly emotional games. I wouldn't want Jeff Friesen as my captain either.

This is a good choice.

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
Yea pretty sure there is an intern that does all that crap. I just think Kovy is the captain of the team already, but the Devils want to wait another 3 years so Kovy has 5 seasons with the club before they give it to him.

An intern? For what?

Historically, those have all been de facto, unwritten roles of the captain, at every level of the sport.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Kovy has been a Devil longer and is the face of the franchise. You think Adam has the balls to say something to Kovy? I sure don't.

Henrique is a professional athlete, not a 10th grade fan. If he doesn't have the balls to think he can compete with the best in the world, he wouldn't be where he is.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

I didn't want Kovy as captain. I don't like captains with overly emotional games. I wouldn't want Jeff Friesen as my captain either.

This is a good choice.

If that's how you feel, you must be crossing your fingers for Larsson to get the captaincy cause he looks half dead 90% of the time :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad