Confirmed with Link: Salvador Named Next Devils' Captain

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
I really don't think everyone understands what a captain has to do.

Kovy is almost too passionate to deal with the refs, the other players, etc. Sal is a great choice for a "real" captain. Not just the most talented guy, but the guy who can actually fill the role.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Congrats to Sal! I expected Kovy, but Sal was the only other guy I could really have seen getting it. He'll do a good job while he's here.

britdevil

Tea with milk...
Feb 15, 2007
UK
Solid choice. Sal is a warrior and leads by example on the ice and I can only imagine that he is well respected in the locker room.

Nice to finally have a D wearing it.

Scott04

Sep 13, 2010
New Jersey
Totally fine with it. Everyone raved about him, his work ethic, and his leadership last year, so its clear he was an important part of the locker room. I'm cool with him getting the recognition with the C. Not to mention, you give it to him now, you can always give it to Kovy or someone else (like Zajac or any of our young guys if they're here for years to come) down the line. Give it to Kovy now, and you can't give it to anyone else for a decade without a messy situation on your hands. Good move short term and I think it sets things up well in the long term to let others step up in the coming years to show they're deserving of it when the time comes.

Getzo5

The Punisher
Feb 13, 2010
Presov, SVK
:facepalm: That's not why you name a captain.

If they want Henrique or someone later, they would have gave it to him now. Or they would have rolled 3 A's.
They`re kinda right.

That being said, Sal is a logical choice AT THE MOMENT and it gives someone like Henrique more time to mature.

Totally fine with it. Everyone raved about him, his work ethic, and his leadership last year, so its clear he was an important part of the locker room. I'm cool with him getting the recognition with the C. Not to mention, you give it to him now, you can always give it to Kovy or someone else (like Zajac or any of our young guys if they're here for years to come) down the line. Give it to Kovy now, and you can't give it to anyone else for a decade without a messy situation on your hands. Good move short term and I think it sets things up well in the long term to let others step up in the coming years to show they're deserving of it when the time comes.
Exactly. It`s a smart coaching/management decision.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
I honestly think they were hesitant to give Kovy the C because they didn't want to burden him with extra responsibility. They just want him to play.

Kylington

Slim Shady
Jan 17, 2013
As a Swede i'd love to see Larsson or Josefsson carry the C one day.
I think Zajac could have gotten it instead though. But Sal is a good choice, just that his time is soon over unless he does a Chelios.

apice3*

They`re kinda right.

That being said, Sal is a logical choice AT THE MOMENT and it gives someone like Henrique more time to mature.

I am willing to bet everything I own that they chose Sal to be a captain because he makes for a good captain as opposed to Henrique, Larsson, or Zajac or whoever making for a good captain 3 years from now.

There is no guarantee that any of those 3 players are Devils 3 years from now. Obviously I would expect them to be here, but hockey is a business. Assuming you're a playoff contender and not rebuilding, you make decisions based on works now. If we're doing things only to benefit ourselves 3 years from now, this franchise has done a complete 180.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Why does everyone even assume Henrique is the 'next' one? It's not like it's out of the realm we're worried about HIM bolting as a UFA by then. Zajac is signed till he's 35, if you were going to 'save' it for anyone which to me is silly anyway. Other than not wanting to give the C to a UFA ever again, there's no issue with giving it to the best candidate.

Sgt Brylin

Trade is one for one
Dec 28, 2012
I think Zajac could have gotten it instead though. But Sal is a good choice, just that his time is soon over unless he does a Chelios.

Or a Lidström :P

Zajac will carry it a few years down the line, he'll probably get Elias' A when he goes.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
:facepalm: That's not why you name a captain.

If they want Henrique or someone later, they would have gave it to him now. Or they would have rolled 3 A's.

Never said that's why they name Sal, but it is consequence of it.

And maybe they do think Henrique COULD be a captain down the road, just don't think he is at that stage now.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

Why does everyone even assume Henrique is the 'next' one? It's not like it's out of the realm we're worried about HIM bolting as a UFA by then. Zajac is signed till he's 35, if you were going to 'save' it for anyone which to me is silly anyway. Other than not wanting to give the C to a UFA ever again, there's no issue with giving it to the best candidate.

Cause he scored the game clincher against the Rags... enough said :sarcasm:

KohoDonuts88

Sep 6, 2006
New Brunswick
A whole lot of internal factors come into play when naming a captain. I wouldn't presume to judge the decision considering all we see are a few interviews and on-ice play. Until a player acts in a clearly "anti-captain" way (Langenbrunner) I'll trust the coaches.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I really don't think everyone understands what a captain has to do.

Kovy is almost too passionate to deal with the refs, the other players, etc. Sal is a great choice for a "real" captain. Not just the most talented guy, but the guy who can actually fill the role.

This right here. Especially after having our last captain bolt on the team, I think some level-headed vet leadership is in order to keep the ship right. Salvid-Orr definitely earned it with his play and leadership last year.

All those expecting Kovy, Zajac or Adam. You know be happy that we have some great candidates to take over the team when the old guys go. I am definitely ok with this pick.

VaxjoDevil

No kids - Still a person
Nov 11, 2009
Princeton, NJ
Cool, I'm glad for Sal

Over coming a potentially career ending injury to later become the team captain, great stuff

Captain Sal has a good ring to it

bryce-salvador-ap-story.jpg

Yeah, quite a few wrote his career off 48 months ago or whenever it was. Finished, kaputt.

Good choice.

Oroku Saki*

Is he the second black Captain in NHL history besides Iginla? I don't know his nationality.

Flame Demers*

As a Swede i'd love to see Larsson or Josefsson carry the C one day.

CONGRATS TO SAL!

ps
can people stop talking about Josefsson like this until he actually produces in the NHL?

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

Well it is an assumption, not a guarantee. Him bolting maybe went into the thought process, letting him further develop maybe went into the thought process.

Sal being a good choice now, definitely went into the thought process.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
Kovy talks to the refs more than anyone on the ice. I am shocked they didn't give it to Kovy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad