Confirmed with Link: Salvador Named Next Devils' Captain

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Yeah, quite a few wrote his career off 48 months ago or whenever it was. Finished, kaputt.

Good choice.

They way things had sounded with the injury, I didn't expect him back

Then one morning last summer I went onto TG's blog and out of the blue Sal was good to go :laugh:

Getzo5

The Punisher
Feb 13, 2010
Presov, SVK
I am willing to bet everything I own that they chose Sal to be a captain because he makes for a good captain as opposed to Henrique, Larsson, or Zajac or whoever making for a good captain 3 years from now.

There is no guarantee that any of those 3 players are Devils 3 years from now. Obviously I would expect them to be here, but hockey is a business. Assuming you're a playoff contender and not rebuilding, you make decisions based on works now. If we're doing things only to benefit ourselves 3 years from now, this franchise has done a complete 180.
And I`m not saying anything else, just think about it for a second.

Sal is a good choice now and it gives them the opportunity to give it to someone younger when he retires.

Flame Demers*

Why cause we can't say what we would like to see happen?

good point. but he is not as good as people make him out to be.

Any way, back to the thread.

I love the comment about how if you make Kovy the C now, you cant ever take it away with out some serious damage control. Well put.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
I never said that this was a bridge for Henrique.

But Salvador is old and probably won't be playing in 2-3 years so unless he retires the C with him then they will be picking again. Thought I made a derp-level obvious statement, but we're so starved for hockey everything is analyzed to death on the table.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

Sal is a good choice now and it gives them the opportunity to give it to someone younger when he retires.

pretty obvious stuff right here. Not sure why people are getting upset at us looking at future scenarios.

Mory Schneideur*

What a joke. Don't blame Kovy for wanting to stay in Russia. Sal is cool, but captain? Gimme a break. Smh.

apice3*

I'd like to see Henrique be the next captain as much as anyone else, but I just don't see that factoring into the decision, personally. The Devils always do what benefits them now and worry about the rest later.

Getzo5

The Punisher
Feb 13, 2010
Presov, SVK
I never said that this was a bridge for Henrique.

But Salvador is old and probably won't be playing in 2-3 years so unless he retires the C with him then they will be picking again. Thought I made a derp-level obvious statement, but we're so starved for hockey everything is analyzed to death on the table.
And mind me asking, is there something wrong with picking the next captain after, let`s say, three years?

It`s not the ****ing CBA.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
good point. but he is not as good as people make him out to be.

Any way, back to the thread.

I love the comment about how if you make Kovy the C now, you cant ever take it away with out some serious damage control. Well put.

I actually really like JJ's game, but as u say, he does need to produce more scoring. And he's certainly down the list a ways in terms of looking at future captains.

And there are various reasons not to make Kovy captain. Personally I like him fine in the role of star winger.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
And mind me asking, is there anything wrong with picking the captain after, let`s say, three years?

It`s not the ****ing CBA.

I wasn't complaining. We pick a new coach every 3 years so stagger the C decision and we can run this place like capitol hill.

VaxjoDevil

No kids - Still a person
Nov 11, 2009
Princeton, NJ
I have to say that I'm on the side that DeBoer thought he was the best man for the C now without giving any thoughts about two or three years from now. The same reason Elias openly voiced his opinion for Sal as C.

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
I'd like to see Henrique be the next captain as much as anyone else, but I just don't see that factoring into the decision, personally. The Devils always do what benefits them now and worry about the rest later.

They should make Henrique the captain a year before he's an UFA. That will compel him to stay long term lol

Getzo5

The Punisher
Feb 13, 2010
Presov, SVK
Why can`t you just accept that it could`ve played some role? Because I`m almost certain it might`ve. And it`s not just about Henrique. Forget about that, just read what Scott04 posted.

All that aside, it doesn`t contradict to anything you said.

I wasn't complaining. We pick a new coach every 3 years so stagger the C decision and we can run this place like capitol hill.
Well it sure sounded like you did. That way or the other, what I said still needed to be said.

Everybody would be glad to have a captain for twenty years, like Toews or Doan, but that`s not the point.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
There is no way Henrique becomes captain on this team as long as Kovy is here. Zajac may even be a stretch. I am going to guess Sal is the captain and then it gets past to Kovy as he will be a devil for 5 full seasons by then.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

So the Devils organization has no eye towards the future?

I think naming Sal meets the "worry about the rest later" criteria to a T. They know they will have to deal with this again later.

And maybe they like that idea wether they feel they have some young future captains on the squad or not.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
I don't like the pick. He's gonna be retired in like 2 maybe 3 years...should've gone with someone who'd be a part of the core for years to come( kovy, zajac). I guess Lou will let them prove who it should be. I guess looking at it that way it's not a bad move. Congrats to sal!

Mory Schneideur*

I really don't think everyone understands what a captain has to do.

Kovy is almost too passionate to deal with the refs, the other players, etc. Sal is a great choice for a "real" captain. Not just the most talented guy, but the guy who can actually fill the role.

Are you kidding? "Too passionate" & too talented to be an effective leader and captain? Kovy has been captain numerous times. I'd rather have a passionate guy to fight our fight on all fronts than someone who will be gone in 2 years. I think out last pick for captain also turned out to be a great choice right? Especially when he spit in the face of what it meant to the organization and it's fans this summer.

Kovy's passion alone is more than enough to demonstrate leadership and ability to wear the C.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Why are we worrying about who will be the captain after Sal?

As the coaches and Lou have said countless times, we have so many leaders on this team, the letter is just a letter

When it comes to picking a leader, you don't base it around the situation 3-4 years from now because that situation may not even be there! You make the decision that is best for your team right now

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
There is no way Henrique becomes captain on this team as long as Kovy is here. Zajac may even be a stretch. I am going to guess Sal is the captain and then it gets past to Kovy as he will be a devil for 5 full seasons by then.

Why is this?

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Are you kidding? "Too passionate" & too talented to be an effective leader and captain? Kovy has been captain numerous times. I'd rather have a passionate guy to fight our fight on all fronts than someone who will be gone in 2 years. I think out last pick for captain also turned out to be a great choice right? Especially when he spit in the face of what it meant to the organization and it's fans this summer.

Kovy's passion alone is more than enough to demonstrate leadership and ability to wear the C.

On successful squads?

Scott04

Sep 13, 2010
New Jersey
I honestly think they were hesitant to give Kovy the C because they didn't want to burden him with extra responsibility. They just want him to play.

I think its also a timing thing for Kovy. Not that they don't look at him as a leader on the team, because obviously they do (or why would he have had an A last year while there were a number of good candidates there). But after the whole mess with him in the KHL and him coming back late, it gives off a bad image to then give him the C. We know obviously 98% of the quotes we were hearing were false, and that it was a non-story. Yes, Lou gave him permission to play there for the ASG, which is obviously more than fine. But it doesn't look good that there was all of this (inaccurate) speculation, and the guy showed up 2 days after the start of camp, and is then rewarded with the C. Even if its not the intention, it gives off the vibe that the guy is above the team to a small extent, and that's the exact opposite of what this franchise stands for. Not saying the C was withheld from him as a punishment, or because of this situation at all. But its just part of why they COULDN'T give it to him now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad