Confirmed with Link: Salvador Named Next Devils' Captain

Scott04

Sep 13, 2010
New Jersey
Any PR stuff. The staffs have gotten so big that each player can request anything they want.

The staff is surprisingly small, especially in hockey ops. Go flip through a program/media guide. You'll see about 95% of the employees. And an overwhelming, shocking number are not allowed to talk to the players.

The 2nd post is correct for the most part. Speaking from experience, be it when I interned there, or with other pro sports teams. The large majority of positions do not have contact with the players. At the minimum, its in the "do not engage them" sense. If I was an intern there right now and I'm walking by one of the players, it would not be encouraged for me to go up to him and say "hey! whats up!" but if the player gives me a nod or just says hello (to be friendly, which some players will do, some won't I'm sure), I can respond and say hello. Its not like its a strict "DO NOT COMMUNICATE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES!" type of order. But there are small staffs directly associated with the team/hockey Ops that handle that role of being the middle man between the team and the media, or any outside sources. There is probably one or two people that would serve as team administrators to handle that role. But not many. And definitely not an intern. Haven't come across a team that I've worked for that would put an intern in THAT capacity.

PWiz30

I love to hockey!
Jan 3, 2013
A whole lot of internal factors come into play when naming a captain. I wouldn't presume to judge the decision considering all we see are a few interviews and on-ice play. Until a player acts in a clearly "anti-captain" way (Langenbrunner) I'll trust the coaches.

This. Although from what we see from the outside Sal is the best choice IMO. Veteran guy who his teammates seem like they would do anything for.

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
I'll take it lol. Where have you worked? I know you were in the media offices I think, but dont know much else. I didn't know they share info with the departments. I mean, Lou's way of things is so secretive it's almost mafia like :D

I've been working with social media/marketing/PR... but I know people in HR, ticket sales, Amerihealth, the exec offices, etc.

I keep my sources private though. They keep giving me stuff so long as they know they aren't going to get caught up :laugh:

Scott04

Sep 13, 2010
New Jersey
Well, see, I have worked inside the Devils offices before... ;)

I'm definitely not any more informed about the players or hockey ops then anyone on this board... but I know the people who are, :laugh:

I have interned with the Devils/Prudential Center, so I could comment on many things. But on-ice/hockey ops related stuff... yeah, none of us here really can. To put it simply, I have been inside literally just about every single room in that building. The only one I was never in, nor really ever permitted to go in to, was the Devils locker room (and any rooms branching off inside there). Been in any other locker room in the building on a regular basis as part of my job. But they are VERY closed off on those things except for the few that need to be in there.

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
I have interned with the Devils/Prudential Center, so I could comment on many things. But on-ice/hockey ops related stuff... yeah, none of us here really can. To put it simply, I have been inside literally just about every single room in that building. The only one I was never in, nor really ever permitted to go in to, was the Devils locker room (and any rooms branching off inside there). Been in any other locker room in the building on a regular basis as part of my job. But they are VERY closed off on those things except for the few that need to be in there.

Well, a fan stole a phone number list off a locker room wall during a tour way back when, and now the doors are kept very shut.

I've also dressed in a couple of those locker rooms, ;)

But I'm glad to have correlating evidence. I'm incredibly happy to see Kovy in the A, not the C.

Scott04

Sep 13, 2010
New Jersey
Well, a fan stole a phone number list off a locker room wall during a tour way back when, and now the doors are kept very shut.

But I'm glad to have correlating evidence. I'm incredibly happy to see Kovy in the A, not the C.

I interned there about 2 years ago now, so maybe that happened after? I was in building/event Ops, so I was literally all over the place. I spent more time in locker rooms, next to the ice/on the floor when the ice was covered up, and walking through the tunnels than in any of the offices oddly enough. While I never got dressed in any of those locker rooms, I've moved around furniture in them, so that's something, right?

Oroku Saki*

I've been working with social media/marketing/PR... but I know people in HR, ticket sales, Amerihealth, the exec offices, etc.

I keep my sources private though. They keep giving me stuff so long as they know they aren't going to get caught up :laugh:

Terry Farmer is my aunt.

theking72

Confucius Ackbar
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
NJ
Good, good.

Salvador is a fine choice for this transition period while our new 'core' of young players develop.

Kovy doesn't even talk to media 1/2 the time, there is no way he could wear the C.

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
I interned there about 2 years ago now, so maybe that happened after? I was in building/event Ops, so I was literally all over the place. I spent more time in locker rooms, next to the ice/on the floor when the ice was covered up, and walking through the tunnels than in any of the offices oddly enough. While I never got dressed in any of those locker rooms, I've moved around furniture in them, so that's something, right?

No, the phone list was many years ago. It's why the Devils room is kept shut to virtually everyone now.

Getzo5

The Punisher
Feb 13, 2010
Presov, SVK

Yeah, but Dorholt is not. :laugh:

Mory Schneideur*

Ill say one thing though, for the anti-passion crowd, the Flyer did interestingly choose Giroux. Then again, there's a reason we are contenders most years and those guys are just pretenders :)

AZNDevil

Yay band.
Jul 30, 2010
Tennessee
Good for Sal, and well deserved. :handclap:

Tom Gulitti ‏@TGfireandice
Salvador on missing 2010-11 w/concussion: "to be named captain, I don’t know what the odds would have been for that in Vegas two years ago"

HughJazz3dg

Jun 27, 2011
If we trade Janssen now, whoever we get might be ready for the captaincy three years from now.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
My girlfriend is best friends with one of the Devils dancers, and they have a strict NO CONTACT policy. They can't say a word to them, and shouldnt even look at them. :laugh:

thats so weird, my gf is friends (not best friends, but i think they went to school together) with one of them too. not sure if shes still even there, i wanna say she is a ginger

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I don't understand this pick why not Zajac or Kovalchuk who will be here a lot longer than 3 years

BadFella

"$8 Million Goalie My Ass!"
Jan 9, 2013
Exit 105
Dislike. I know we're a defense-oriented team, but there's little upside to this. All of our recent captains were identifiable Devils. He's turning 37. He's a journeyman. He's on Kovy's team. Kovy should wear the "C" or nobody at all. Zajac, even, would be better.

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
My only complaint is that Sal can't fight anymore.

Having a captain absolutely beat another guy's ass a couple times a season is a nice morale boost.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Dislike. I know we're a defense-oriented team, but there's little upside to this. All of our recent captains were identifiable Devils. He's turning 37. He's a journeyman. He's on Kovy's team. Kovy should wear the "C" or nobody at all. Zajac, even, would be better.

Completely agree with you

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I like this move. No complaints here from me.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Salvador isn't exactly a journeyman. He's played on two teams in his career and he's been here for half a decade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad