Confirmed with Link: Salvador Named Next Devils' Captain

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
Why can`t you just accept that it could`ve played some role? Because I`m almost certain it might`ve. And it`s not just about Henrique. Forget about that, just read what Scott04 posted.

All that aside, it doesn`t contradict to anything you said.

Well it sure sounded like you did. That way or the other, what I said still needed to be said.

Everybody would be glad to have a captain for twenty years, like Toews or Doan, but that`s not the point.

so serious around here today.

Devilsfanatic0421

"You're next"
Feb 24, 2012
Kovy has been a Devil longer and is the face of the franchise. You think Adam has the balls to say something to Kovy? I sure don't.

What happens if you give Kovy the C and things don't work out?

He's here for the rest of his career, you can't give it to him, strip him and expect things to be okay.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
I really don't think everyone understands what a captain has to do.

Kovy is almost too passionate to deal with the refs, the other players, etc. Sal is a great choice for a "real" captain. Not just the most talented guy, but the guy who can actually fill the role.

"too passionate"? errrmmm...

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011

He's here for the rest of his career, you can't give it to him, strip him and expect things to be okay.

Elias seemed to be okay with it. But I don't see how we would strip it from Kovy. The only thing he cares about is winning and his teammates.

To me the captain isn't someone who talks to the refs as that adds no value, but is someone that will kick a teammate in the ass if they aren't doing something right.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

Elias went threw the exact scenario you are trying to paint and he's the franchise's all time point producer and will most probably play his entire career with the same organisation.

Just saying ;)

crusher

Feb 28, 2008
black captain

Is he the second black Captain in NHL history besides Iginla? I don't know his nationality.

He is the first black captain of a US-based NHL team, and only the second in league history. He is the same age as Iginla, was drafted in the same draft, and played against him in the WHL. :handclap:

Last edited:

engy

Mar 12, 2012
Not surprised. Parise said last year that he thought Salvador would be the captain if it wasn't him.

VaxjoDevil

No kids - Still a person
Nov 11, 2009
Princeton, NJ
Why are we worrying about who will be the captain after Sal?

As the coaches and Lou have said countless times, we have so many leaders on this team, the letter is just a letter

When it comes to picking a leader, you don't base it around the situation 3-4 years from now because that situation may not even be there! You make the decision that is best for your team right now

Because we basically all agree it was a good choice so we have to find something to disagree on. :laugh:

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
Are you kidding? "Too passionate" & too talented to be an effective leader and captain? Kovy has been captain numerous times. I'd rather have a passionate guy to fight our fight on all fronts than someone who will be gone in 2 years. I think out last pick for captain also turned out to be a great choice right? Especially when he spit in the face of what it meant to the organization and it's fans this summer.

Kovy's passion alone is more than enough to demonstrate leadership and ability to wear the C.

Yes. He's too polarizing to be an effective leader. He's worn the "C" but has he ever really captained a team? Truly be a veteran leader? We need a guy who will invite 18-19 year olds to stay in their house, bring them over for Christmas, and truly raise a team. Something this team has desperately been searching for since the very first little of Langs being captain and Stevens was absolutely a beast at being that guy.

Kovy needs to be Kovy on and off the ice. Being a player's captain isn't in his style.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

Because we basically all agree it was a good choice so we have to find something to disagree on. :laugh:

I don't think that's the case at all. It's just that we've seen numerous coaches and captains over the last decade and some stability wouldn't hurt once in a while.

After locking up IK and Zajac to multi year deals, it would've been nice to have some stability as the leader of our club going forward, that's all.

Anyways, I won't speak for everyone but that's my reason.

New Jersey Devils

Doc & Chico Forever
Jun 20, 2007
NJ-NYC
Well this got fiesty real fast.

3204840swsw.gif

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
Yes. He's too polarizing to be an effective leader. He's worn the "C" but has he ever really captained a team? Truly be a veteran leader? We need a guy who will invite 18-19 year olds to stay in their house, bring them over for Christmas, and truly raise a team. Something this team has desperately been searching for since the very first little of Langs being captain and Stevens was absolutely a beast at being that guy.

Kovy needs to be Kovy on and off the ice. Being a player's captain isn't in his style.

Wasn't Kovy the one that bought the playoff clothing for the entire team? Kovy is the closest to Stevens as a captain this team has. I am not knocking Salvador, I just think Kovy is a great leader for this or any team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad