Sale of the Sens - the renewal WC let us all down...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster

This is interesting. I had one of these cards for 15 years thanks to the free blanket and t-shirt shtick. Canceled it a couple years ago because I never used it.

Can anyone confirm? Losing corporate sponsors would be a death blow.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
I'm going to say I buy this, mainly because of the OP history on the forum.
Yup. Been posting on forums with WC for a couple of decades and he doesn't fabricate stories.

Last edited:

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Dorion is an NHL GM because of how cheap Melnyk is. I doubt that wealthy new owners would be too keen on retaining his services. I've alo been told that Alfie isnt a fan of the management.
I said this when Dorion got the extension that it was pay for years of loyalty once the team is sold. The way Melnyk down sized every department made it pretty obvious he was trying to sell the team and pocket every cent he could.

Reactions: Lana Del Rey

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
The rumored group definitely has cap ceiling type money. Whether or not they'd spend that, I have no idea. Dan Greenberg is the biggest Sens fan on the planet though. That lower box that's always bumpin with all the flags even when we're getting blown out is his.

Honestly, as a small market team I don't even expect cap ceiling spending. Just keep our marquee players, invest a bit in the front office, at least middle of the league type staffing, and just generally don't be a complete ****ing disaster. We're never going to be New York or Toronto, and I'm fine with that.
I've always been a fan of not spending to the cap unless it made sense. The Sens just never made sense. If we didn't have balck holes like the Phaneuf and Ryan contracts the cap would not have been as much of an issue

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I've always been a fan of not spending to the cap unless it made sense. The Sens just never made sense. If we didn't have balck holes like the Phaneuf and Ryan contracts the cap would not have been as much of an issue

Would it not have made sense to acquire a top 4D in a trade last season after the loss of Methot? A top 4D that would have then come with a 4M-6M cap hit, thus putting us close to the cap?

Would it not have made sense to keep that 2nd round pick we burned in the Zibanejad trade (If) it is true that we gave it up as compensation for NYR to cover Brassard's signing bonus?

Not spending to the cap would still be somewhat of an issue going forward even if all of our bad contracts disappear. Karlsson @ 12, Duchene and Stone both @ 8, that's 28 million right there on three players. A typical middle of the road goalie tandem costs almost 6 million dollars in today's NHL (4.5-5 for a minimum wage starter, 1-1.5 for a backup), with a good one costing 8M+. Meet in the middle at 7 million, and all of a sudden we're at 35 million total for 5 members of a 23 player roster.

That leaves the Senators with 33 million to spend on 18 skaters. I guess if we're just going to trade everybody once their RFA years are up and they become stars, then sure we don't need to spend to the cap. Dzingel, Pageau, and Ceci are all 4M+ players when their current contracts expire. It's too early to say with Chabot, but if he becomes the superstar Dorion advertises him as, and we want to lock him up long term after his ELC, we're looking at 5M+ at least. We're still missing a top 4 defender that we badly need to add via UFA or trade or someone graduating internally. If we have to resort to a trade or UFA, that's another 4M+. Mike Hoffman makes almost 6M right now, and will potentially get 7M+ in 2 seasons when his current contract is up....so just to keep this team together and slightly improve on it, that's an additional 24 million on the high end for 5 key players. So now the Sens only have about 9 million left to pay 13 players....that means, on average all of those 13 players have to make about 692k...with league minimum being 650k and most prospects getting more than 692k, it's not really plausible.

So with a 68M budget, even if we had none of the bad money on the books, we couldn't keep all of our current key players once their current contracts run out. I'm all for not signing bad contracts just because a team has cap space, but I think it's asinine to say that a team not spending to the cap wouldn't be an issue. It's a major competitive disadvantage.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Never heard of this wondercarrot guy. I’ll be waiting for MySens and his limousine riding jet flyin peer crew to chime in before taking this seriously. He has direct access to Melnyk and other Canadian elite such as former power couple Chad Kroeger and Avril.

pzeeman

May 15, 2013
Aylmer
I still won’t believe that Melnyk will sell until it happens, or is sourced by a public insider, but...

- Could this be why 95 and 61 seem to be down with “the plan” for next year?
- Could this be why Melnyk hasn’t hired a real president?

Last edited:
Reactions: Hutz

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
I was hoping to confirm this rumor and add fuel to the fire but unfortunately i cannot. I know someone who spends quite a bit of time with the Greenburg family and i was told he cannot confirm the sale unless Greenburg is playing close to the vest.

Hopefully carrot is correct though!

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Would it not have made sense to acquire a top 4D in a trade last season after the loss of Methot? A top 4D that would have then come with a 4M-6M cap hit, thus putting us close to the cap?

Would it not have made sense to keep that 2nd round pick we burned in the Zibanejad trade (If) it is true that we gave it up as compensation for NYR to cover Brassard's signing bonus?

Not spending to the cap would still be somewhat of an issue going forward even if all of our bad contracts disappear. Karlsson @ 12, Duchene and Stone both @ 8, that's 28 million right there on three players. A typical middle of the road goalie tandem costs almost 6 million dollars in today's NHL (4.5-5 for a minimum wage starter, 1-1.5 for a backup), with a good one costing 8M+. Meet in the middle at 7 million, and all of a sudden we're at 35 million total for 5 members of a 23 player roster.

That leaves the Senators with 33 million to spend on 18 skaters. I guess if we're just going to trade everybody once their RFA years are up and they become stars, then sure we don't need to spend to the cap. Dzingel, Pageau, and Ceci are all 4M+ players when their current contracts expire. It's too early to say with Chabot, but if he becomes the superstar Dorion advertises him as, and we want to lock him up long term after his ELC, we're looking at 5M+ at least. We're still missing a top 4 defender that we badly need to add via UFA or trade or someone graduating internally. If we have to resort to a trade or UFA, that's another 4M+. Mike Hoffman makes almost 6M right now, and will potentially get 7M+ in 2 seasons when his current contract is up....so just to keep this team together and slightly improve on it, that's an additional 24 million on the high end for 5 key players. So now the Sens only have about 9 million left to pay 13 players....that means, on average all of those 13 players have to make about 692k...with league minimum being 650k and most prospects getting more than 692k, it's not really plausible.

So with a 68M budget, even if we had none of the bad money on the books, we couldn't keep all of our current key players once their current contracts run out. I'm all for not signing bad contracts just because a team has cap space, but I think it's asinine to say that a team not spending to the cap wouldn't be an issue. It's a major competitive disadvantage.
It would have made sense to add a top 4 D but I think the sens were not 1 player away from fixing their problems. So going to the cap with absolutely no room for flexibility would not make much of a difference. You make the playoffs every second season and have had many miracles along the way. The bad contracts are a bigger concern than spending to the cap. Spending to the cap without bad contracts is the only way you maximize this rosters potential and not filling 1 hole where a few more exist.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I still won’t believe that Melnyk will sell until it happens, or is sourced by a public insider, but...

- Could this be why 95 and 61 seem to be down with “the plan” for next year?
- Could this be why Melnyk hasn’t hired a real president?
Absolutely.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
That would make the town halls extremely pointless

Not if they helped convince Melnyk to sell.

I mean he's insane but it can't be fun being hated by everyone. If there is any truth to all this "Sens are in financial trouble" then I'd want to get out: I am not making money, struggling to pay the bills and everyone hates me? I'll cash out and ride out into the sunset, thank you very much.

Reactions: FolignoQuantumLeap

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I was hoping to confirm this rumor and add fuel to the fire but unfortunately i cannot. I know someone who spends quite a bit of time with the Greenburg family and i was told he cannot confirm the sale unless Greenburg is playing close to the vest.

Hopefully carrot is correct though!

The most likely truth of all this noise is that pieces are moving. That a deal is done or got axed or getting done is impossible to say but there is far too much noise for there to be nothing.

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
That would make the town halls extremely pointless

I disagree. There was a deadline on season ticket renewals (late April I think??) . That's why they invited all season ticket holders. Because thousands of people were threatening to cancel, so they did the town halls to prevent that from happening. They even had Chris Neil and Chris Phillips calling STH's to convince them not to cancel. I have no idea how well it all worked though.

But then again you're right in the sense that they could have just re-renewed after the sale.

Hope these rumours are true!

Reactions: Joeyjoejoe
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad