Sale of the Sens - the renewal WC let us all down...

Status
Not open for further replies.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
I disagree. There was a deadline on season ticket renewals (late April I think??) . That's why they invited all season ticket holders. Because thousands of people were threatening to cancel, so they did the town halls to prevent that from happening. They even had Chris Neil and Chris Phillips calling STH's to convince them not to cancel. I have no idea how well it all worked though.

But then again you're right in the sense that they could have just re-renewed after the sale.

Hope these rumours are true!
If this rumour turns out to be true, I’m re-upping the moment Melnyk is no longer in the picture. I’d even settle for minority stakeholder.

Reactions: TkachukNorris79

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
If something sounds too good to be true, then it probably isn't.

A lot of grass is being thrown on this rumour fire that adds smoke but not a lot of heat. I would love a rich new ownership take over, but if this doesn't pan out, then this forum will be a pretty depressing place this summer (more so than usual). Please contain your enthusiasm until verifiable facts are known.

Reactions: Hutz

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
If this rumour turns out to be true, I’m re-upping the moment Melnyk is no longer in the picture. I’d even settle for minority stakeholder.

I think this is the case for many.

If you look at our attendance from the past 15 or so years, the downfall really started in 2013. Alfie being virtually pushed out was probably a pretty big factor in that. And has been on the decline since. Now the same kinda thing with EK. Fans have had enough (obviously) of his BS. People will come back very quickly if this rumour is true.

I hate when people say that this isn't a hockey market. These are pretty solid attendance numbers. Especially for Kanata.

Ottawa Senators [NHL, 1992-2018] yearly attendance at hockeydb.com

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
If something sounds too good to be true, then it probably isn't.

A lot of grass is being thrown on this rumour fire that adds smoke but not a lot of heat. I would love a rich new ownership take over, but if this doesn't pan out, then this forum will be a pretty depressing place this summer (more so than usual). Please contain your enthusiasm until verifiable facts are known.

I'll let my enthusiasm inflate with the hot, grass-fire smoke plume, thank you very much.

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
I'll let my enthusiasm inflate with the hot, grass-fire smoke plume, thank you very much.
I understand. The alternative to clinging on to this faint ray of hope is to realize that EM will continue to destroy the team and further alienate the fans for the unforeseeable future. Option #1 is definitely more appealing.

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
there could be smoke to this selling thing but we have been hearing this kinda stuff all season and most of it so far hasnt been true.
it seems like something that big would have legit insiders reporting rumours about it

Reactions: Hutz

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
The incident took place on Wednesday and Ruzskowski was hired on Thursday. Lee was arrested Thursday night, just sayin' it was pretty interesting timing.
Okay so why would he need to hire a COO though? PR for what? Why not just suspend Lee indefinitely or release him? What does it matter to Melnyk IF he's selling anyways?

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
Okay so why would he need to hire a COO though? PR for what? Why not just suspend Lee indefinitely or release him? What does it matter to Melnyk IF he's selling anyways?

Deal may not be finalized yet.

Or the buyer is pushing to protect the value of the asset.

Who knows.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

Hypothetically, it's possible that the new COO was hand picked by new owners who want to get a head start on things, and Melnyk is essentially just rubber-stamping the contract.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
You ever wonder why?
images

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
A Karlsson distraction, heh, could they be that machiavellian? Perhaps.

I suppose it has been conventional wisdom for a while ( Melnyks claims that he wishes to pass on the money losing franchise to his daughters notwithstanding) that Melnyk has been awaiting the right time to max out and sell. His continued ownership is sending values down, so perhaps this is a wise moment. Which can also help make rumours more believable. So we dare to hope.

We do have a real issue though that until this team has at least 13,000 seasons tickets sold, we are going be a revenue challenged team that accumulates debt.

New billionaire owners may make marketing investments for increasing value as Melnyk did at first with the Eagles concert and the spending basically over the cap for many years, but in the end, all of them will surely want any team debt to be the responsibility of team revenues and will surely further leverage the team for their benefit. Regardless how rich they are, its not likely they are going to be stroking cheques every year to cover losses unless that is a good business decision. The Sens franchise will live and die with its revenues. Lets hope the growth the city is undergoing and some wise new ownership helps achieve that over the medium term.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
A Karlsson distraction, heh, could they be that machiavellian? Perhaps.

I suppose it has been conventional wisdom for a while ( Melnyks claims that he wishes to pass on the money losing franchise to his daughters notwithstanding) that Melnyk has been awaiting the right time to max out and sell. His continued ownership is sending values down, so perhaps this is a wise moment. Which can also help make rumours more believable. So we dare to hope.

We do have a real issue though that until this team has at least 13,000 seasons tickets sold, we are going be a revenue challenged team that accumulates debt.

New billionaire owners may make marketing investments for increasing value as Melnyk did at first with the Eagles concert and the spending basically over the cap for many years, but in the end, all of them will surely want any team debt to be the responsibility of team revenues and will surely further leverage the team for their benefit. Regardless how rich they are, its not likely they are going to be stroking cheques every year to cover losses unless that is a good business decision. The Sens franchise will live and die with its revenues. Lets hope the growth the city is undergoing and some wise new ownership helps achieve that over the medium term.
The new downtown stadium will certainly help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad