Sale of the Sens - the renewal WC let us all down...

Status
Not open for further replies.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

Bettman is a front man. His job is to do what is in the best interest of the owners in both the short and long term. Starting a shit show about the Senators getting sold (if what is alluded to in the OP is happening) serves zero purpose. Especially if a sale isn't final, or if those involved are bound by some sort of non-disclosure clauses during the process.

Reactions: Bean Drown

Take a Bath Son

Jan 15, 2018
Hard to believe to be honest given that Gary Bettman just came out and shot down the rumours and insisted the team was not for sale. I know, I know he could be covering it but I don't see him being so open about it if there was legitimate interest.

there was a clear twinkle in his and Bill Daly's eye when the question came up. And he could have been technically correct that the team was not for sale if an agreement in principle was already made or if ownership will change hands by some other means (related to debt?)

A summary of events (by no means complete and probably missing something):

-November-multiple rumours start to surface from a variety of sources in different markets indicating 1 or 2 groups may be interested in purchasing the senators.
-December-Melnyk goes off script at the game discussing attendance and relocation. Seems a little angry?
-December-Financial circles talk of Senators Debt being purchased by someone-melnyk calls it standard refinancing.
-January-more rumours, nothing surfaces.
-January-Anselmi quits, no explanation, no replacement
-January-Agreement on Lebreton arrived but missing piece remains financing.
-February-Melnyk self appoints himself as CEO
-April-Melnyk musing he might stay in Kanata
-May-Mierens, one of the families linked to Devcore's Lebreton proposal sells 10 of their 11 dealerships
-May-rumours start up again, finance related-more discussion that Devcore has some hold on Senators debt
-May-Alfie openly discussing "hope for new ownership". Greenberg commenting he'd buy into that.
-May-MBNA bank announces termination of relationship with Ottawa Senators effective June 30
-May/June-more rumours, debt owned by Cirque, pending sale, commentary in this blog that Melnyk has gone from 100% not selling to "I can't tell you".

On top of all this, we have a complete void and vacuum in leadership decision making as it relates to a number of issues. I firmly believe all the noise since november is one big pending work in progress-the silence may or may not have to do with NCC and Lebreton, I really have no idea. But I remain hopeful (because there really isn't anything else to cling to) that the sum of events are indicative of a pending sale.

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
Honestly this whole season (minus the Karlsson baby tragedy/abuse) would be redeemed if the Sens were sold. Gimme new ownership + LeBreton deal, and will be forgotten.

JoeSakic

Aug 15, 2006
Oh I understand the game...it just seems odd the way he answered the question...it legitimately led me to believe it wasn't happening. Maybe that's because I fell in to a burning ring of fire...I fell down down down and the flames got hotter...it burns burns burns this ring of fire that is the Ottawa Senators organization.

I'm extremely hopeful it happens so I can lift my Scotiabank Place ban hammer.

Reactions: Sensational Ride

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
Even if we have a new owner what makes you think that Karlsson wants to resign here? Maybe Karlsson would like to play elsewhere, maybe him and his wife would like to have a fresh start in a new city. after all the drama that he and his wife as endure im not so sure that they want to stay.

Well, the other rumour is that Alfredsson is involved in some capacity with new ownership. If Alfie is in fact part of this new ownership group, it’s almost 100% guaranteed Karlsson stays. If Melnyk stays, it’ll be #KarlssonOut

Reactions: albator71

Take a Bath Son

Jan 15, 2018
Well, the media is openly musing/aspiring to hear of a possible sale now as well...

Senators are a raging tire fire under Eugene Melnyk — so when will the NHL see fit to intervene?

"At what point is the NHL forced to step in to address the black eye, pushing owner Eugene Melnyk to sell the franchiseor at the very least to bring in a deeper-pocketed partnerto help with the chaos? The last time we checked, Andre Desmarais of the Devcore Group and Guy Laliberte, co-founder of Cirque to Soleil, were waiting in the wings, anxious for the opportunity to put their stamp on the new arena development."

"Which brings us back to the present. Alfredsson, who was quoted as saying the team needs a new owner only a few weeks back, looms as a potential piece of a future ownership structure."

"The Senators are a circus right now. Somewhere in the back of Bettman’s mind, though, you have to think he’s wondering if circus people could help save the franchise."

QuietOnTheFront

@QuietOnTheFront
Jun 17, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Props to Warren for writing that article. I feel like Ottawa media needs to write more of these articles, it honestly made me feel way better about things as finally someone other than ourselves sees what is going on. The more media, even outside of Ottawa, speaks up, the louder everyone else will get. Real change can happen, I hope it does.

Melnyk may go down as one of the worst owners in NHL history... right up there with Harold Ballard and Bill Wirtz.

Reactions: Sensinitis

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
Well, the other rumour is that Alfredsson is involved in some capacity with new ownership. If Alfie is in fact part of this new ownership group, it’s almost 100% guaranteed Karlsson stays. If Melnyk stays, it’ll be #KarlssonOut
Well yes, if Alfredsson is part of the new ownership then maybe Karlsson would be more incline to stay with the Sens. But Erik wants to play for a winner. the new ownership would have to guarantee Erik that they will do everything in their power to surround him with the best possible team.

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
I’m scratching my head over comments that, should the sale materialize, the team will be flush with cash. Fans need to realize that Ottawa is a small market team with limited revenu streams. No matter who owns the team, there will be a budget and it likely won’t extend to the cap. And you can forget about a new owner pouring a ton of his own money to keep the team afloat. No owner buys a team to lose their own money. That would be foolish, and they likely didn’t get rich by being foolish.

I would expect a new ownership group to reorganize the front office, and add stability and confidence in the team - similar to what EM did very early on.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
I’m scratching my head over comments that, should the sale materialize, the team will be flush with cash. Fans need to realize that Ottawa is a small market team with limited revenu streams. No matter who owns the team, there will be a budget and it likely won’t extend to the cap. And you can forget about a new owner pouring a ton of his own money to keep the team afloat. No owner buys a team to lose their own money. That would be foolish, and they likely didn’t get rich by being foolish.

I would expect a new ownership group to reorganize the front office, and add stability and confidence in the team - similar to what EM did very early on.

I think if the new owners are loaded and want to win, they will spend whatever it takes, when necessary. And I would think they'd want to make an immediate splash.

Reactions: Sensung

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
I think if the new owners are loaded and want to win, they will spend whatever it takes, when necessary. And I would think they'd want to make an immediate splash.
I agree that they will have spend some money up front to renew confidence in the team.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
I agree that they will have spend some money up front to renew confidence in the team.

I think new owners would allow us to be a cap team when we are trying to win. And I think the fans will come back. We will start seeing sell outs again. Here's hoping.

Reactions: Samboni and Sensung

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013

if the new owners come in and make it a more fan friendly environment at the games, maybe even market the games, drum up fan interest it would lead to more revenue just on its own

and if the new owners come in and actually negotiate for the flats then maybe just maybe we could be a cap team

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Honestly this whole season (minus the Karlsson baby tragedy/abuse) would be redeemed if the Sens were sold. Gimme new ownership + LeBreton deal, and will be forgotten.

We would honestly go from death to rebirth in the blink of an eye.

If the team is sold then I almost guarantee Alfredsson coming back. If Alfredsson comes back, Karlsson will almost guaranteed re-sign.

We would almost guaranteed make a strong pitch for one of the promising defenders available like Carlson/DeHaan heck even Green/Hickey/Cole

We would trade Hoffman for a top 4 defender and Zadina would replace him, we might even sign another top 6 forward.

Literally if the team is sold we would go from death to rebirth.

Reactions: sens2k9

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
We would honestly go from death to rebirth in the blink of an eye.

If the team is sold then I almost guarantee Alfredsson coming back. If Alfredsson comes back, Karlsson will almost guaranteed re-sign.

We would almost guaranteed make a strong pitch for one of the promising defenders available like Carlson/DeHaan heck even Green/Hickey/Cole

We would trade Hoffman for a top 4 defender and Zadina would replace him, we might even sign another top 6 forward.

Literally if the team is sold we would go from death to rebirth.

Alfie guarantee? Probably not.

Reactions: pzeeman

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
If they trade Karlsson not long before the team is sold, I will freak the F out.

What if Alfie and Karl have a wink-wink nudge nudge deal that they'll trade him for a huge package to kickstart a rebuild, and then he'll sign back here in 2019 as a UFA ;).

Reactions: DrEasy

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
What if Alfie and Karl have a wink-wink nudge nudge deal that they'll trade him for a huge package to kickstart a rebuild, and then he'll sign back here in 2019 as a UFA ;).
This would be phenomenal. Only problem being how do you get a massive package for him unless he agrees to sign wherever he's traded to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad