Sale of the Sens - the renewal WC let us all down...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Take a Bath Son

Jan 15, 2018
150% chance the Sens are getting sold. Saying goodbye to Hoff, Lee and Melnyk will be tough but there's a 150% chance I'll get over it.

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
150% chance the Sens are getting sold. Saying goodbye to Hoff, Lee and Melnyk will be tough but there's a 150% chance I'll get over it.

150% chance Melnyk owns the team for the next 10 years while butchering the Lebreton deal and subsequently moving the team to Hartford (after all, it's no different than a grocery store).

I hope yours is the real timeline, though.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
All excellent picks relative to where they were picked.

I would also whole heartedly disagree that Brown was a great selection in that spot. However Bowers on the other hand looks like an incredible pick. I would agree overall he has done a good job many of those players were picked in Ontario and Quebec. They just fired the scout that had the most viewings of all those players and pushed for Chabot from the time he was a 16 year old. So im skeptical he can keep the same track record. Also add Francis Perron to that group he was a good pick for where they got him.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
No doubt in my mind *checks calendar*

upload_2018-6-13_11-38-30.gif

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Tbh I think the sale is inevitable now. Melnyk is a businessman and since he can't improve the situation financially he'll only lose more. It's done.

In a month we literally can go from 0 to 100. He must sell.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
So, assuming a sale goes through, and new ownership opts to go with a clean slate (or close to it), will we be able to attract top candidates for GM and coaching positions? How about UFA?

Also, who would you target for GM and head coach?

(I'm trying to take my mind off the flames currently surrounding this org and focus on happy thoughts...)

If this organization is actually going to be run like other teams if they are sold, and have multiple experienced executives, while I'd be surprised if Dorion is kept on as the main decision maker, I'd wonder if they'd keep him in a different role.

He's obviously an exceptional amateur scout. I also think that it's hard to have a fair evaluation of his talents as a general manager given the difficulty in working for a Melnyk owned team. One thing I think, is he should absolutely not be the "front man" of a management group. It's just not his strong suit.

If the Senators fire him, they pay him regardless until he gets hired by another team. Will he get hired elsewhere as a GM? Probably not. Assistant GM or in a lesser executive role maybe. So with this in mind, unless Dorion has some sort of toxic element to him behind the scenes, as long as Dorion is open to a change in position over a dismissal, it makes sense to find the best possible role he can help the club in and use his talents there.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
If this organization is actually going to be run like other teams if they are sold, and have multiple experienced executives, while I'd be surprised if Dorion is kept on as the main decision maker, I'd wonder if they'd keep him in a different role.

He's obviously an exceptional amateur scout. I also think that it's hard to have a fair evaluation of his talents as a general manager given the difficulty in working for a Melnyk owned team. One thing I think, is he should absolutely not be the "front man" of a management group. It's just not his strong suit.

If the Senators fire him, they pay him regardless until he gets hired by another team. Will he get hired elsewhere as a GM? Probably not. Assistant GM or in a lesser executive role maybe. So with this in mind, unless Dorion has some sort of toxic element to him behind the scenes, as long as Dorion is open to a change in position over a dismissal, it makes sense to find the best possible role he can help the club in and use his talents there.

I'm under the assumption that he would not take a lesser role, but would have no issues with him in a role more befitting of his current skill set.

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
Karlsson re-signed without a doubt.
Stone and Duchene re-signed. Hopefully Dizzy.
New GM maybe able to obtain value (depending on uow things play out) for Hoffman if he is not traded by PD already.
The Chabots the Whites the young guys.

Then who knows. I actually don't mind PD the Scout.
Even if we have a new owner what makes you think that Karlsson wants to resign here? Maybe Karlsson would like to play elsewhere, maybe him and his wife would like to have a fresh start in a new city. after all the drama that he and his wife as endure im not so sure that they want to stay.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Surely NHL and Bettman have to approve any sale. Like any other big organization, somewhere that would be leaked or at least speculated on. Has there been any noise?

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Surely NHL and Bettman have to approve any sale. Like any other big organization, somewhere that would be leaked or at least speculated on. Has there been any noise?
There has been noise, yes. I've heard rumours of the sale with about the same frequency as I'd heard the Hoffman rumours. Not saying anything's done or imminent, just that there's enough smoke to believe in the possibility of a fire.

JoeSakic

Aug 15, 2006
Hard to believe to be honest given that Gary Bettman just came out and shot down the rumours and insisted the team was not for sale. I know, I know he could be covering it but I don't see him being so open about it if there was legitimate interest.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
There has been noise, yes. I've heard rumours of the sale with about the same frequency as I'd heard the Hoffman rumours. Not saying anything's done or imminent, just that there's enough smoke to believe in the possibility of a fire.

That's pretty fair. The complexity of deals like that are immense. There's so many different parts, so much vetting, so much financial information, contractual and legal elements that all have to be given exacting attention. I feel like if there's this much smoke then there's no way we don't hear the sale is official before the end of the summer.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
That's pretty fair. The complexity of deals like that are immense. There's so many different parts, so much vetting, so much financial information, contractual and legal elements that all have to be given exacting attention. I feel like if there's this much smoke then there's no way we don't hear the sale is official before the end of the summer.
I think the team will eventually be sold in the near future (what Melnyk is doing is not sustainable). I just want it to happen before we decide to ship out Karlsson and Duchene walks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad