Sale of the Sens - the renewal WC let us all down...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I’m scratching my head over comments that, should the sale materialize, the team will be flush with cash. Fans need to realize that Ottawa is a small market team with limited revenu streams. No matter who owns the team, there will be a budget and it likely won’t extend to the cap. And you can forget about a new owner pouring a ton of his own money to keep the team afloat. No owner buys a team to lose their own money. That would be foolish, and they likely didn’t get rich by being foolish.

I would expect a new ownership group to reorganize the front office, and add stability and confidence in the team - similar to what EM did very early on.

It all depends on the deal, and how Lebreton shakes out. If the team owns the new arena, and a few businesses/properties around the building, it can be a sustained money maker. Obviously not a cash machine like the leafs/habs, but enough to keep up with rising player costs and have a full front office, scouts, and hit the cap (maybe not all the time, but when it's worthwhile to be a cap team).

Reactions: Sensung

Studzle

Dec 1, 2013
Toronto
Not long ago our biggest complaint was Alfie leaving, Boucher playing vets in our top 6 and Boro with Karlsson. Those were simpler times.

Studzle

Dec 1, 2013
Toronto
Funniest part about those simpler times was the notion that we’ll keep our top guys because we’ve never let them walk before.
I feel a bit dumb. I mean this is history repeating its self over and over and over. The amount of talent that this organization has churned out over the years is mind boggling.

Reactions: The Flower

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
Not long ago our biggest complaint was Alfie leaving, Boucher playing vets in our top 6 and Boro with Karlsson. Those were simpler times.
There was a time when fans thought EM was a good guy. This tire fire of a team would make for a great reality tv show!

Emerica

May 29, 2010
There was a time when fans thought EM was a good guy. This tire fire of a team would make for a great reality tv show!
There are still plenty who think he's the bees knees, pretty evident if you listened to the town halls. Cringeworthy.

Reactions: BondraTime

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
I’m scratching my head over comments that, should the sale materialize, the team will be flush with cash. Fans need to realize that Ottawa is a small market team with limited revenu streams. No matter who owns the team, there will be a budget and it likely won’t extend to the cap. And you can forget about a new owner pouring a ton of his own money to keep the team afloat. No owner buys a team to lose their own money. That would be foolish, and they likely didn’t get rich by being foolish.

I would expect a new ownership group to reorganize the front office, and add stability and confidence in the team - similar to what EM did very early on.
It really depends, the sens when you include the arena, concessions, parking, sensplexes, endorsements, naming rights, etc I’m near positive are profitable as a whole. If new ownership takes the approach of treating those altogether we could definitely be a cap team. Euge shows losses on the team while not reporting any profits from the team driven entities

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Without the enormous interest expenses, the Sens would be about average in profitability. Melnyk is the reason they’re supposedly bleeding money.

This team should be competitive. The market isn’t perfect but if it’s more than enough.

Last edited:

pown

We are team
Oct 12, 2013
Ottawa
Without the enormous interest expenses, the Sens would be about average in profitability. Melnyk is the reason they’re supposedly bleeding money.

This team should be competitive. The market isn’t perfect but if it’s more than enough.

yep, I myself will be showing up to atleast 2-3 games next year if we get new ownership, i promised myself I wouldnt until he sells the team. Im sure alot of people in ottawa feel the same way

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster

Exactly. We're never going to be a top dog a la Toronto, New York, Montreal etc. But there's absolutely no reason this team, if run properly can't be a middle of the road NHL team. There's no reason for us to be wallowing with the Arizona's of the world, other than complete and utter mismanagement.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Source? Lots of folks presume to know financial details of the team. What’s fact and what’s fiction?
The best estimates we have from Forbes magazine.

If you have better evidence, feel free to post it.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
i starting to think all that behind closed door sale stuff was BS. thats too good to be true

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
I JUST WANT SOME GOOD NEWS ABOUT THIS TEAM!

I'm so depressed about the Sens. I'm not even looking forward to the draft now.

Hopefully Melnyk reads this, takes pitty on us fans, and sells the team. At least that way there will be a glimmer of hope. With the Euge at the helm, there's no hope.

Reactions: branch

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
The best estimates we have from Forbes magazine.

If you have better evidence, feel free to post it.
I got nothing and don’t purport to know anything. Others, however, seem to have access to more information than what Forbes has released.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
The lack of pressers addressing the Lee and Hoffman issues is suspicious.

If I bought a team and was waiting to announce it I wouldn’t want the lame duck GM getting out in front of the media.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
There was a tweet not long ago saying essentially "Only Eugene Melnyk will find a way to become a bigger asshole after a near death experience".

Reactions: TheNewEra
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad