Sale of the Sens - the renewal WC let us all down...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
I hope Wondercarrot is right. The same person who told me about the Hoffman news weeks ago also said the sale rumours are true (Guy Laliberte & crew) as well as Melnyk missing payments that were covered by the league. He thought the sale was going to happen after July 1. No idea if that will happen, but Wondercarrot has been here forever and if the sale doesn't happen soon or at all, I hope he will not be run off the board.

God you don't know how badly I needed this!!!!

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Well, I'm buckled up.....

crash_positions_by_bladedge-db0acco.gif

What next?

Reactions: edguy

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
So... if the team does in fact get sold, how long before we see the new owner clean house?

If they do clean house, who survives?

Dorion?
Lee?
Boucher et al?
Obviously our current President and CEO will stay on:sarcasm:

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
So... if the team does in fact get sold, how long before we see the new owner clean house?

Dorion?
Lee?
Boucher et al?

I would littetaly clean house, only survivors maybe being Chris Schwartz and the rest of the conditioning staff. Coaches, scouts, managers, everyone else gone.
We need a clean slate

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I would littetaly clean house, only survivors maybe being Chris Schwartz and the rest of the conditioning staff. Coaches, scouts, managers, everyone else gone.
We need a clean slate
Why would we get rid of our scouts? They have literally been the only good part of the organisation. A team would promptly sweep up Mann and make him head of their Scouting department.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
I hope Wondercarrot is right. The same person who told me about the Hoffman news weeks ago also said the sale rumours are true (Guy Laliberte & crew) as well as Melnyk missing payments that were covered by the league. He thought the sale was going to happen after July 1. No idea if that will happen, but Wondercarrot has been here forever and if the sale doesn't happen soon or at all, I hope he will not be run off the board.

Personally won't believe it until I see it, if there was a new owner waiting...now is definitely the time to swoop in and put this garbage to rest! I have appreciated Wonder's input over the years here and will certainly not hold it against them if the info they were provided is incorrect.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
We need a clean slate
Trent Mann is good. No need to purge him imo. There are some other quality scouts too. Not sure why we'd be ditching the amateur scouts rather than just beefing up that department along with some select cuts.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015

Dorion?
Lee?
Boucher et al?

giphy.gif

Only thing I will keep is the amateur scouts and some of our development people. It's the only thing that the organization got going for it. Even the pro scouts have been garbage for 10 years now, we are always on the losing side of acquiring/ trading/signing pro talent.

Reactions: TkachukNorris79

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Not sure if this has already been suggested, but perhaps the reason Dorion has been adamant that he won't trade Karlsson till after Jul 1 and an offer has been made is because he knows about the potential sale, and Jul 1st is the target date for that sale?

A guy can dream, right?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
So, assuming a sale goes through, and new ownership opts to go with a clean slate (or close to it), will we be able to attract top candidates for GM and coaching positions? How about UFA?

Also, who would you target for GM and head coach?

(I'm trying to take my mind off the flames currently surrounding this org and focus on happy thoughts...)

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
So, assuming a sale goes through, and new ownership opts to go with a clean slate (or close to it), will we be able to attract top candidates for GM and coaching positions? How about UFA?

(I'm trying to take my mind off the flames currently surrounding this org and focus on happy thoughts...)

Gonna cost a little money, but blank check for Barry Trotz

Reactions: Joeyjoejoe

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI

For me new ownership (as long as they are stable), should bring a top GM candidate (Mark Hunter???), as far as coaches go, I'd personally prefer someone with NHL experience Alain Vigneault perhaps, as long as he has learned from his mistakes in NYR.

With guys like them in the organisation we should be able to attract a good UFA here, (not to sure we have the cap space to grab a John Carlsson calibre one. But at least we should be an option with the right people)

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015

People always ask this about a dysfunctional team looking for talent, but at the end of the day there are only 31 jobs in this industry, and if the new ownership is willing to pay market value for talent (Unlike Carolina), there will be people interested in the position.

For the GM position I will be looking at poaching assistants from successful teams such as Jets, Preds, Washington, Tampa etc.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Not sure if this has already been suggested, but perhaps the reason Dorion has been adamant that he won't trade Karlsson till after Jul 1 and an offer has been made is because he knows about the potential sale, and Jul 1st is the target date for that sale?

A guy can dream, right?
Makes sense of many things surrounding the team right now...

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
People always ask this about a dysfunctional team looking for talent, but at the end of the day there are only 31 jobs in this industry, and if the new ownership is willing to pay market value for talent (Unlike Carolina), there will be people interested in the position.

For the GM position I will be looking at poaching assistants from successful teams such as Jets, Preds, Washington, Tampa etc.

Problem as I see it is top candidates are looking for a place they can see themselves having success. A GM you might convince because they are evaluated on a more long term basis, but a head coach would have to be convinced (in the same way Babcock was by the leafs) that he will be secure in his role through the initial tough times.

Hunter seems like an ok option for GM, as for coach, I'd like to see somebody with experience but a track record of developing youth too.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
Why would we get rid of our scouts? They have literally been the only good part of the organisation. A team would promptly sweep up Mann and make him head of their Scouting department.

I guess my one question for Mann and Co. is, is he really ranking high offensive upside (Tolvanen) lower then guys like Shane Bowers, or is that Management picking lower ranked players for their low bust factor. That has always been a big issue I have had with our drafts, we take the guys like Bowers, Lazar, Even White over guys like Mantha, Tolvanen, Boeser/Aho etc..
If it's Mann making those choices, then personally I think we can do better. We are missing on high picks far too often. I do give them credit for their mid-late round picks though

Reactions: Upgrayedd

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I guess my one question for Mann and Co. is, is he really ranking high offensive upside (Tolvanen) lower then guys like Shane Bowers, or is that Management picking lower ranked players for their low bust factor. That has always been a big issue I have had with our drafts, we take the guys like Bowers, Lazar, Even White over guys like Mantha, Tolvanen, Boeser/Aho etc..
If it's Mann making those choices, then personally I think we can do better. We are missing on high picks far too often. I do give them credit for their mid-late round picks though
In Mann's tenure we've picked:

Chabot
Gagne

White
Chlapik
Brown
Dahlen

Bowers
Batherson
Formenton
Wolanin

30 teams passed on Tolvanen. Same with Boeser and Aho (getting Chabot and White is more than a good 1st in which your highest pick is 18)

I mean, I guess you can qualify Bowers and White as safe, both were picked exactly where they were ranked, which was higher than Boeser/Aho/etc..

Last edited:

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus

Dorion?
Lee?
Boucher et al?

Karlsson re-signed without a doubt.
Stone and Duchene re-signed. Hopefully Dizzy.
New GM maybe able to obtain value (depending on uow things play out) for Hoffman if he is not traded by PD already.
The Chabots the Whites the young guys.

Then who knows. I actually don't mind PD the Scout.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa

Would strongly depend on the hypothetical new owners business reputation imo, if we get a new cash rich ownership group who is open about the issues that have occurred in the past and do not condone them attached to a general plan with some direction going forward people would buy in including outsiders imo, besides the current tire fire the city is a real beaut imo, it's got everything especially for those young families! Hate the man but love the saying, the Sens swap needs to be drained.

On a side note, the choice to ditch my season seats this past off season is seemingly one of the best decisions I have made to date, literally sadly excited I got out when I did!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad