Salary Cap: Salary Cap Thread - Hey.. what are your thoughts on Sheahan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
You sure? Sounds to me as that’s his main goal. He has also said multiple times that he intends on adding another center.

No, I said I don't know how he plans on adding one, not I don't think he wants a center.

Yeah it’s weird how he doesn’t want to subtract from the roster when we have 3 # 13’s playing #10-12 spots (or higher last game because of bad coaching)

I find it weird how he says he doesn't want to subtract off the roster when the Penguins have a #7 defenseman making either $2.1 million or $2.25 million, depending on who is scratched.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Gustavvson makes more sense for us to trade. I would rather keep Jarry and DeSmith. Both have proven they can step in and play now if/when needed. I would be very reluctant to trade Sprong.

Reactions: Guentz

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I still think Cole gets traded, which sucks because he's been playing really well recently. His season hasn't even been that bad either, it's not as good as it was last year but it's still pretty solid. I think the teams that are scouting the Penguins are looking at him, which is a shame because I'd much rather see the Penguins trade Hunwick. But then again, I don't think there's a huge difference between the two, so maybe trading the pending UFA is smarter.

Thinking about it from this POV, maybe Cole for Fantenberg makes some sense. You swap an expensive pending UFA for a cheaper and cost controlled depth defensemen (who can also be sent to the AHL), and you use the added cap space to trade for a center.

Reactions: PartyatMarios

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
I still think Cole gets traded, which sucks because he's been playing really well recently. His season hasn't even been that bad either, it's not as good as it was last year but it's still pretty solid. I think the teams that are scouting the Penguins are looking at him, which is a shame because I'd much rather see the Penguins trade Hunwick. But then again, I don't think there's a huge difference between the two, so maybe trading the pending UFA is smarter.

Thinking about it from this POV, maybe Cole for Fantenberg makes some sense. You swap an expensive pending UFA for a cheaper and cost controlled depth defensemen (who can also be sent to the AHL), and you use the added cap space to trade for a center.
It could resemble the Fehr+4th for Corrado last year . . .

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

I’d rather see Hunwick traded because he hasn’t been that good here and we know Cole is capable of stepping up his game in the playoffs.

Hunwick isn’t really worth his contract to us. Even with Cole and Hunwick gone next season we’d still have Oleksiak and Ruhwedel to begin with.

Big O-Schultz
Maatta-Ruhwedel is fine to start the season even nothing is sorted in the summer. Although bottom pair D aren’t hard to come by.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
JR would never give any hints publicly as to who he may move off the roster or trade. You'll never hear him say,..."yeah I think with our winger depth we can afford to move one for a center". That would spook the locker room and create speculation among the players. Gustavvson's name being mentioned as different is he won't be playing in NA until next year.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It could resemble the Fehr+4th for Corrado last year . . .

I don't think it would be like that because Cole isn't a cap dump, he has actual value.

Cole for Fantenberg gives the Penguins a cheaper depth defensemen if they're not interested in playing Cole over Hunwick. You can shuttle him between the AHL and NHL as you need to, which clears out all of Cole's cap hit. I originally dismissed it entirely because I said WBS doesn't need another defenseman at all, but I didn't think about it from this angle. It's swapping an expensive extra defenseman (which is how the Penguins will probably use Cole) for a cheaper extra defenseman who can also be sent down to WBS. Fantenberg is supposedly super mobile too, so I could see the Penguins liking him as a pseudo reclamation project.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
In all fairness he could have a ton more production Center Kessel on the 3rd line here.

17% of his top 6 line combinations include Spezza. Another 17% include Janmark. Radulov is also in there for 6%. That's 40% of his most used combinations include one of those 3 players - all of which are pretty damn good. And he's still not at double digits yet and isn't yet on pace for 20 points.

Hanzel would have been a terrible signing for us - thank God that Dallas - or anyone else gave him that contract instead of us.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
I
I’d rather see Hunwick traded because he hasn’t been that good here and we know Cole is capable of stepping up his game in the playoffs.

Hunwick isn’t really worth his contract to us. Even with Cole and Hunwick gone next season we’d still have Oleksiak and Ruhwedel to begin with.

Big O-Schultz
Maatta-Ruhwedel is fine to start the season even nothing is sorted in the summer. Although bottom pair D aren’t hard to come by.
I think everyone would prefer to trade Hunwick, but everyone else would prefer to trade for Cole. I want to see Ruh when he gets back. Then you could put O on the left where he apparently plays better (whether with Ruh or Schultz is irrelevant for this point). If they look good, then I guess I'd feel better if a team demanded Cole for a 3C or as part of a larger plan to get one. If Ruh takes too long getting back or they don't look good with ruh and O in, then I keep Cole and trade Hunwick, even if it's for a 7th rounder.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
I don't think it would be like that because Cole isn't a cap dump, he has actual value.

Cole for Fantenberg gives the Penguins a cheaper depth defensemen if they're not interested in playing Cole over Hunwick. You can shuttle him between the AHL and NHL as you need to, which clears out all of Cole's cap hit. I originally dismissed it entirely because I said WBS doesn't need another defenseman at all, but I didn't think about it from this angle. It's swapping an expensive extra defenseman (which is how the Penguins will probably use Cole) for a cheaper extra defenseman who can also be sent down to WBS. Fantenberg is supposedly super mobile too, so I could see the Penguins liking him as a pseudo reclamation project.
But at the same time, Cole could be traded for Fantenberg FOR cap relief and getting a young defensemen. Trading Cole would give us around 3.85-4m in cap space by deadline day.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

Fatenberg is only exempt for this season though. And while he's an RFA this year, he only has 1 RFA year left. And do we really need another 6/7 RD? We already have Ruhwedel and Olek can play the right side very effectively if we need someone to.

I'm not opposed to him if it was Cole for him+... but I do not see a huge need for him beyond more depth that Rutherford seems to love. I'd also feel really bad for Ruhwedel if we acquired yet another D that would push him for games but who's not clearly better than him.

Fantenberg is supposedly super mobile too, so I could see the Penguins liking him as a pseudo reclamation project.

This is his first year in North America. Even though he's 26 and just signed his first NHL contract, I'm not sure how he's any sort of reclamation project. A project? Sure I could buy that, but that's about it.

The mobility part I could see being appealing. And 9 pts in 26 NHL games (29 pt pace) is pretty good for someone adjusting to the NHL and NA pro league for the first time (less time/space, more physical, smaller ice, etc). So from that angle I could see there being some appeal.

Last edited:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Fatenberg is only exempt for this season though. And while he's an RFA this year, he only has 1 RFA year left. And do we really need another 6/7 RD? We already have Ruhwedel and Olek can play the right side very effectively if we need someone to.

I'm not opposed to him if it was Cole for him+... but I do not see a huge need for him beyond more depth that Rutherford seems to love. I'd also feel really bad for Ruhwedel if we acquired yet another D that would push him for games.

Fantenberg is a LD, not a RD. Everywhere I'm seeing him listed as a left shot. Him being waiver exempt for only this season really isn't an issue, the cap shouldn't be as pressing of an issue next year as it is this year since it's supposed to rise a lot. Along with that, would Fantenberg even be claimed on waivers if he'd be put on waivers? He's a 26 year old defenseman with less than 30 games of pro experience, I don't know if teams would be jumping at the chance to claim him.

The way that I look at Cole for Fantenberg is that you get another Corrado caliber of player who has potential to be a good bottom pair defenseman. I don't see a problem with that. Sure, maybe you'd want like a 3rd or 4th along with him, but I'm not going to make a big fuss out of that. For this year, either send him down to WBS or have him as extra LD, which is about $1.2 million cheaper than Cole being the extra LD. Next year, make it an open competition between Hunwick, Oleksiak, Ruhwedel and Fantenberg for the bottom pair spots.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Fantenberg is a LD, not a RD. Everywhere I'm seeing him listed as a left shot. Him being waiver exempt for only this season really isn't an issue, the cap shouldn't be as pressing of an issue next year as it is this year since it's supposed to rise a lot. Along with that, would Fantenberg even be claimed on waivers if he'd be put on waivers? He's a 26 year old defenseman with less than 30 games of pro experience, I don't know if teams would be jumping at the chance to claim him.

The way that I look at Cole for Fantenberg is that you get another Corrado caliber of player who has potential to be a good bottom pair defenseman. I don't see a problem with that. Sure, maybe you'd want like a 3rd or 4th along with him, but I'm not going to make a big fuss out of that.

CF has him listed as a RD - something they do not usually do unless that's all a player plays. Olek for example, even though he plays both sides is listed as an LD. Daley for example is also listed as a RD.

That said I wasn't even paying attention to the fact he's a lefty. If he's as good or better on the left then I'd be a little more interested in him.

Oscar Fantenberg - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I'd trade Jarry, but the problem is the Penguins need to bring back another goalie if they trade Jarry. Sure, maybe you can get someone like Montoya for a 4th, but you might not be able to do that. The Penguins have borderline no cap space, that's why it's difficult to move Jarry right now.

I actually don't know how Rutherford is planning on adding a center, to be honest. Maybe Sheary's LTIR space is enough to let them bring in a center, but he's probably not going to be out for the year. He said he doesn't want to subtract off the roster, but I don't see how he can afford to not subtract off the roster to get some cap space.

Didn't he say he didn't want to subtract from the lineup?

When he said that Cole wasn't playing.

I'm not sure what the actual definition of lineup is, i don't know if he considered Cole part of the lineup at that time.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Didn't he say he didn't want to subtract from the lineup?

When he said that Cole wasn't playing.

I'm not sure what the actual definition of lineup is, i don't know if he considered Cole part of the lineup at that time.

I thought he just said roster, or if he said lineup, he just meant the NHL roster. Who knows though, I do think Cole gets traded before the deadline. I just don't know how he'd fill the 3C spot if he didn't trade Cole.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
If we trade Cole for space, I think we're expecting a 2nd in terms of pick. Maybe 2nd + 3rd or something. I know some people refer to 2 2nds, but I see him as Hainsey and that was a 2nd.

Would you rather have Fantaburger/someone like him or a 2nd? I like mah picks as much (more) as the next person but, as we all know, our picks now are gonna be doing damn well to contribute to the Crosby/Malkin window. A guy who could be in the team next season, that's pretty big. Sure he's a long shot but 2nds are fairly long shots anyway.

A deal like that sounds good to me on paper if we get the right player.

That said, being waiver eligible from next season isn't brilliant.

Also... Rutherford can say what he likes, but he was saying he didn't want to subtract from the roster shortly before Wilson went to Detroit. Nobody will be surprised if Cole goes. Nobody.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Pens need cap room so preferable Hunwick for a pick is what works. Cole however is a UFA so he is more likely the move. Still think a good center is the move, not some rental or fourth line center who is a third line wannabe.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
If we trade Cole for space, I think we're expecting a 2nd in terms of pick. Maybe 2nd + 3rd or something. I know some people refer to 2 2nds, but I see him as Hainsey and that was a 2nd.

Would you rather have Fantaburger/someone like him or a 2nd? I like mah picks as much (more) as the next person but, as we all know, our picks now are gonna be doing damn well to contribute to the Crosby/Malkin window. A guy who could be in the team next season, that's pretty big. Sure he's a long shot but 2nds are fairly long shots anyway.

Also... Rutherford can say what he likes, but he was saying he didn't want to subtract from the roster shortly before Wilson went to Detroit. Nobody will be surprised if Cole goes. Nobody.
I think a lot of it has to do with the market. I mean, Hainsey got a 2nd, but Doug Murray got two seconds. Cole has been a solid contributor to two cup winning defenses, is younger than both were, and a lower cap hit. If there arent a lot of sellers at the deadline, I could see him getting two picks/pick and prospect back easy, although maybe not two seconds.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
The Penguins and Senators are very good trade partners, it just comes down to Ottawa being willing to accept a reasonable package for Pageau. As soon as they do that, I think Pageau is going to be a Pittsburgh Penguin. The Penguins have 1st rounders, Sprong, Gustavsson, Jarry and Simon that Ottawa would almost definitely be interested in, there is definitely a deal to be made here.

If we give up a first or Sprong for Pageau I'm gonna barf. Not worth it even remotely.

Reactions: Riptide

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think a lot of it has to do with the market. I mean, Hainsey got a 2nd, but Doug Murray got two seconds. Cole has been a solid contributor to two cup winning defenses, is younger than both were, and a lower cap hit. If there arent a lot of sellers at the deadline, I could see him getting two picks/pick and prospect back easy, although maybe not two seconds.

Fair shout. Do we have any idea how many dmen are gonna be on the rental market?

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
I'd prefer to keep Cole . . . he's great depth for a playoff run and a playoff warrior, but he makes to much $ to not be moved for an incoming center. Potentially, if Rowney is apart of the Pageau for Sprong+ package, it would work cap wise at the deadline.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

This is exactly what I'm thinking here, too. Sure, maybe it's worse value than a 2nd, but Fantenberg is the kind of player the Penguins have been really successful with over the years in turning into good NHL defensemen. Will it happen every time? Of course not, but the Penguins have been successful enough with them that they should keep trying it. The Fehr for Corrado trade was a cap dump, but Corrado is the kind of player the Penguins should be targeting to develop into NHLers.

I don't know if Fantenberg is the exact guy they're looking at, but he makes sense. I'd rather go after a 23 or 24 year old guy with some waiver exemption left, but I don't think LA has anyone like that.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
If we give up a first or Sprong for Pageau I'm gonna barf. Not worth it even remotely.

I initially felt that way, but who cares? If they flat out aren't going to use Sprong, and it is getting to be that feeling, then why keep the guy? Just to hear all the excuses of why he's not "defensively responsible?"

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I initially felt that way, but who cares? If they flat out aren't going to use Sprong, and it is getting to be that feeling, then why keep the guy? Just to hear all the excuses of why he's not "defensively responsible?"

Just because they're not using him this year doesn't mean that will always be the case. And even if they're intent on not using him ever, I'd still rather trade him for a better player.

Pageau is not very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad