Salary Cap: Salary Cap Thread - Hey.. what are your thoughts on Sheahan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
And Pageau played extensively with Stone in the past... and his numbers didn't budget.

He has 98 points in the last 2.5 seasons (210 games) and only 2 were on the PP.

That’s pretty good.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I'd say Washington is set, Vegas also, and probably a few other teams. But lets not forget nearly half the teams in the league aren't gonna make the playoffs, and many of those aren't even in contention now. So their motivation would be to look to shore up their roster via picks, young players and prospects for coming years.

This isn't correct. 15 teams will not make the playoffs. But that doesn't mean that they're all going to be sellers. Of those 15 teams, 6 are within a point or two of a PO spot. These guys are not going to be sellers. Maybe that changes as the TD gets closer... but for the teams that are on the bubble, while they might not be buyers, odds are they're not going to be sellers unless someone is paying a premium (kind of like SJ with Murray in 13 or STL with Shatty last year). When it's all said and done, there will maybe be 10/11 teams who are "sellers". Of those, there will only be a handful who have a center that we're looking for/interested in. And while I think the price will drop slightly come the TD... I don't think it will be noticeable nor do I think there will be much more options available then than now. One or two, sure but nothing significant to really drive the price down.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
And Pageau played extensively with Stone in the past... and his numbers didn't budget.

The last time Pageau played extensively with Stone was '15-'16, when he scored 32 ES points despite getting 64% d-zone starts. That would have been good for 5th on our team last year behind only Crosby, Malkin, Sheary, and Kessel.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
How did ZAR look?

I thought he was pretty meh. Didn't finish watching the 3rd, but saw nothing special in what I did see. However I don't think he received a ton of minutes and was bounced around line wise. I'd give him another few games or so, but I certainly wouldn't give him the same leash Sprong got based on lastnight.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
This isn't correct. 15 teams will not make the playoffs. But that doesn't mean that they're all going to be sellers. Of those 15 teams, 6 are within a point or two of a PO spot. These guys are not going to be sellers. Maybe that changes as the TD gets closer... but for the teams that are on the bubble, while they might not be buyers, odds are they're not going to be sellers unless someone is paying a premium (kind of like SJ with Murray in 13 or STL with Shatty last year). When it's all said and done, there will maybe be 10/11 teams who are "sellers". Of those, there will only be a handful who have a center that we're looking for/interested in. And while I think the price will drop slightly come the TD... I don't think it will be noticeable nor do I think there will be much more options available then than now. One or two, sure but nothing significant to really drive the price down.
I'm not saying that all of such teams will be sellers, but as I stated, many of those will. And as we get closer to the deadline and as I suggested, that number is likely to go up. And if you look at OTT for example, they themselves may have Smith, Pageau and Brassard available. EDM possibly Strome and Letestu. My point is there'll be a good number of players available with varying degrees of appeal.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
The last time Pageau played extensively with Stone was '15-'16, when he scored 32 ES points despite getting 64% d-zone starts. That would have been good for 5th on our team last year behind only Crosby, Malkin, Sheary, and Kessel.

And what's his pace this year? Or last year? My point was he puts up ~ 30 ES points yearly and it doesn't really seem to matter who he plays with.

And Sheahan is putting up roughly the same pace as Bonino last year (and this year), and the same pace as Pageau this year - and getting harder starts then either of them, and we're talking about how one is some supposed massive upgrade offensively over the other.

You want to talk about 'fit' with Kessel - I have zero issues with that. But don't talk about "an upgrade offensively" and "Pageau" in the same sentence - because that doesn't hold any water to what we're currently getting from our 3C. If we want an upgrade - talk about a legit upgrade, not someone who's stats are only marginally better. If we're just talking about depth, then that's fine too (although most won't like that as much). But then you do not pay Sprong+ for "depth".

Reactions: Andy99 and Pancakes

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I'm not saying that all of such teams will be sellers, but as I stated, many of those will. And as we get closer to the deadline and as I suggested, that number is likely to go up. And if you look at OTT for example, they themselves may have Smith, Pageau and Brassard available. EDM possibly Strome and Letestu. My point is there'll be a good number of players available with varying degrees of appeal.

You are going off rumors rather than reality. There were only three centers move last deadline.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Max Domi is available? That dude would be money next to Sid.

I struggle to see us and ARI as being decent trading partners for someone of that magnitude. I mean we're talking Sprong+ as the starting point.

Someone mentioned Leivo as having asked for a trade. He'd be a great get... but I doubt we'd be able to land him at this time. But he would be an excellent 3/4th line LWer who's young and has upside.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Lol. Nice rebuttal. I looked it up and there were seven centers moved at the deadline last year.
Seven centers is a decent number relative to the teams that actually need such a player. The Pens being chief among that list. I don't know who's gonna be traded, but again I don't think it's some pie in the sky theory to believe such players aren't available and that we couldn't snag one. Particularly with how aggressive JR has been in the past.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Seven centers is a decent number relative to the teams that actually need such a player. The Pens being chief among that list. I don't know who's gonna be traded, but again I don't think it's some pie in the sky theory to believe such players aren't available and that we couldn't snag one. Particularly with how aggressive JR has been in the past.

That wasn’t the original argument though, the argument that was the closer we get to the deadline the cheaper centers will get. That is absolutely untrue unless you are looking at adding a lesser Sheahan in the form of Fehr or Desharnais. For what we need to catapult us to a favorite there will be maybe one or two centers available.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
That wasn’t the original argument though, the argument that was the closer we get to the deadline the cheaper centers will get. That is absolutely untrue unless you are looking at adding a lesser Sheahan in the form of Fehr or Desharnais. For what we need to catapult us to a favorite there will be maybe one or two centers available.
And again I do believe the prices will come down as more teams realize they aren't in contention for this season. If you add a couple of centers to the pool the prices will come down because teams like PIT or CBJ will have more in the way of options.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Yeah, there's no way prices go down at the deadline. Not a chance. We see pretty terrible guys like Hanzal, Hainsey, Branden Smith, etc. getting really solid returns because teams are desperate. We cannot, nor should we, be one of those desperate teams. On top of prices going up, the quality of players available is usually extremely poor for the most part.

Maybe tinker with a small move here or there, but JR shouldn't do anything significant at the deadline, especially if it's for a rental. Wait until the summer to make a splash. More teams will be willing to deal and prices won't be at their peak like the deadline.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Or you’ll be stuck with Fehr or Desharnais or at best a Brian Boyle who still isn’t moving Sheahan from 3C.
I watched HNIC last night and from what I gathered, they collectively believe the prices are ridiculous for such players, and that there's no way GM's around the league will pay that price. So they'll inevitably have to come down. Which makes sense. You add that to the strong possibility for more teams selling as time ensues and the market will become more reasonable. Many refer to it as a game of chicken. I have faith that JR in one way or another will get someone that helps us. Maybe two such players.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Brassard, Smith, Pageau, Letestu, Strome, Bjugstad, Ryan, Reinhart and Plekanac are likely all available to various degrees and of course for a varying number of quality of assets.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Before dismissing the idea that prices might come down at the deadline, you got to consider what prices currently are.

The only rumoured quotes I'm aware of are 1st+2 prospects+conditional for Kane and 1st+Sprong+Add for JGP. Both of which are bonkers "Never happening" asks.

And, well, JGP doesn't need to move, but Buffalo are getting less than that for Kane, one way or the other. And if those two prices are in line with other quoted prices... yeah, they're going down.

Also, before Cole ends the fun, what ARE our thoughts on Sheahan?

He sits at the right hand of St Reaves of the Endless Debate.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
I watched HNIC last night and from what I gathered, they collectively believe the prices are ridiculous for such players, and that there's no way GM's around the league will pay that price. So they'll inevitably have to come down. Which makes sense. You add that to the strong possibility for more teams selling as time ensues and the market will become more reasonable. Many refer to it as a game of chicken. I have faith that JR in one way or another will get someone that helps us. Maybe two such players.
any thing is possible. but as it looks now the chances of get a good center are not very high. imo but on the other hand their does seem to be a nice group at lw.....so there is a good chance at improving that area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad