GDT: Salary Cap Thread - Free Agency Frenzy Edition!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I'm not going to bother putting the cap info in the OP because these threads will fly off the shelf in the next couple days. Once they get to around 2500-3000, i'll be closing them and starting a new thread. Go to Cap Friendly if you want to see where the Pen stand.

This will be very GDT-like for the next couple days. Let's try to keep our emotions in check when we re-sign Kunitz to a 5x5m deal :sarcasm:

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Are they seriously thinking of signing Kunitz? I wouldn't have that much of an issue with it if they used him correctly, but you just know he'd find his way back to L1 on Sid's wing.

Other teams have interest, so Kunitz may be priced out of Pittsburgh.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
has there been any discussion of Grabner? What's a contract for him gonna look like? If we could get him for exactly what's left on Sheary's contract (maybe 500-750k more), I think that's worth looking into.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Think my favorite/should come cheap d-minded LW'er UFA is Roussel. I'd like to add the "jam" with the d-mindedness. Grabner is soft as butter and Calvert/Comeau probably cost too much.

Jake-Sid-Sprong
Hags-G-Horny
Roussell/Rust-Brass-Phil
ZAR-Sheahan-Rust/Roussel
Simon

Then maybe you use Hags(cap dump part of the deal) to snag Skinner:

Jake-Sid-Sprong
Skinner-G-Horny
Roussell/Rust-Brass-Phil
ZAR-Sheahan-Rust/Roussel
Simon

Only rumour i read on Roussel is MTL was interested...
Others: Pouliot, Komarov or C's that can wing Stajan, Vermette.

AverageJoeFan

Mad cat
Feb 15, 2018
Pittsburgh
So I guess here's where we stand:
1) MM says JJ is coming to the Pens/ conversely Dregger is saying it isn't done yet. Is he mad he got scooped by a local or just stating the obvious?

2) Pens have been linked to trading Brassard for something(maybe Montreal). I haven't seen any denials coming forth so it makes me think there could be something to this.

3) There's been chatter that GMJR is out for a "bigger" name. Anyone's guess as to who the bigger name could be. Let the speculation fly! EK anyone?

4) Some smaller FAs could be on the Pen radar like Duclair, Kunitz. Although Kuni looks a bit less likely now since alledgely there are multiple teams interested in him. I find this almost comical, but please let someone else win the Kuni sweeps.

5) Other names speculated by HF members to trade are Sprong, Jarry, Hags. All seem possible, but nothing for real has happened yet.

6) The org has done their best to quell Kessel trade rumors. Maybe he sticks around another year?

7) Jeff Skinner, pretty well known that the Pens could be interested in acquiring this LW. But the cost and the fact that Skinner has a NMC and a short list of teams makes you wonder if the Pens are on that list. Skinner really controls his destination.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Think my favorite/should come cheap d-minded LW'er UFA is Roussel. I'd like to add the "jam" with the d-mindedness. Grabner is soft as butter and Calvert/Comeau probably cost too much.

I think Calvert is meant to be the cheapest.

Tbh... part of me's thinking go very cheap and pocket the cap against something opening up in the season.

1) MM says JJ is coming to the Pens/ conversely Dregger is saying it isn't done yet. Is he mad he got scooped by a local or just stating the obvious?

It could be anything from Madden lying to Madden being misinformed to Dreger being misinformed to Dreger putting out the obvious to Dreger putting our PR denying something being confirmed when it has, because nothing's meant to be confirmed.

2) Pens have been linked to trading Brassard for something(maybe Montreal). I haven't seen any denials coming forth so it makes me think there could be something to this.

3) There's been chatter that GMJR is out for a "bigger" name. Anyone's guess as to who the bigger name could be. Let the speculation fly! EK anyone?

Brassard's name has constantly come up as a possibility but, given how much Rutherford clearly likes him, I think he's only going to be used if it means big game hunting. And, tbh, I'm not sure I trust McGuire implying they're looking for a bigger name than Patches.

Fwiw, Rutherford's been denying he feels any need to mix up LW... anyone remember Rutherford's numerous "Just fine at centre" comments every day after Sakic said he felt no need to trade Duchene just yet?

7) Jeff Skinner, pretty well known that the Pens could be interested in acquiring this LW. But the cost and the fact that Skinner has a NMC and a short list of teams makes you wonder if the Pens are on that list. Skinner really controls his destination.

I'd be surprised if we weren't on the list. Rutherford has talked to his agent and we'd probably be talking about someone else if we weren't on the list.

Reactions: AverageJoeFan

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

4) Some smaller FAs could be on the Pen radar like Duclair, Kunitz. Although Kuni looks a bit less likely now since alledgely there are multiple teams interested in him. I find this almost comical, but please let someone else win the Kuni sweeps.

5) Other names speculated by HF members to trade are Sprong, Jarry, Hags. All seem possible, but nothing for real has happened yet.

6) The org has done their best to quell Kessel trade rumors. Maybe he sticks around another year?

Re: point 2. At this stage I don’t think they will come out and deny every media story that’s out there. There will be a lot of stuff floating around and they will be busy. They could be playing the media too for whatever reason and leak some stuff (whether true or not).

Reactions: AverageJoeFan

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
A couple things:

1. say what you will about Kunitz... but he is a fantastic locker room guy and has a bushel full of stanley cup wins.... he is someone's gary roberts and someone with a younger team is going to pay a steep price for that. We need him as a fourth liner at best... he is getting bigger money than that

2. Jack Johnson is very ian Cole-ish to me... You dont really want him playing over 20 minutes a game but he can... in my eyes he is a pretty average signing and 3-4 million is literally average money in this cap structure...

3. I do not know why the last thread had any discussion about whether Pittsburgh was a desireable location for free agents... It routinely rated as one of the most liveable cities in the world... Its nightlife is fine. it has more Bars and clubs per capita than most cities equal to or even larger than it . It offers a great chance to win. A ton of former players in all sports continue to live here after retirement even after having been moved to other teams later in their careers.

Why big time free agents rarely come here these days is soley tied to the cap... the team had no problem signing all sorts of big names in the 90's and thats exactly why they went bankrupt.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Idle thought on whether Pittsburgh can attract big names - Kessel's probably the biggest name in hockey recently to move with control over his destination. Pittsburgh was on his list.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Even if Pierre is the source, I think it is believable that JR is targeting a big name because I think JR is always targeting big names. I don't expect it to happen, but if you can land Karlsson, Skinner, etc., then why wouldn't you try? If a trade doesn't come together, oh well. No harm, no foul. Go to Plan B and sign Johnson and a cheaper LW. But if you don't try, you'll never end up with Phil Kessel and Derick Brassard on your third line.

Kasperi kapanen

Jul 23, 2014
Per Jimmy Murphy:

Can confirm #Pens are working on a big "hockey trade" right now. Does it happen? Dunno. All I know is they're pushing hard and word is they want more "jam with scoring up front"

Idk how credible he is, but it’s obvious the Pens are trying to make a hockey deal. Wonder who the Pens are after.

SherogoesHAM

Apr 6, 2012
While everyone keeps talking about 3-4 year "window", I really think JR is trying to extend that window. Now 87 and 71 can't get any younger but they can replace 81 and 58 with younger versions.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Per Jimmy Murphy:

Can confirm #Pens are working on a big "hockey trade" right now. Does it happen? Dunno. All I know is they're pushing hard and word is they want more "jam with scoring up front"

Idk how credible he is, but it’s obvious the Pens are trying to make a hockey deal. Wonder who the Pens are after.
The guy is Eklund tier reliable.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
The dumbest reporting ever is when someone says "The Penguins are working on a big trade. Does it happen? Dunno." If you can take that as click bait, then I don't know what to tell you. It's common sense that Kessel/Letang would be in play IF a return came back JR wants. Let's face it, though, it's unlikely. There is no need for idiotic no-source jabronis to "report" it as something happening.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
I'm not going to bother putting the cap info in the OP because these threads will fly off the shelf in the next couple days. Once they get to around 2500-3000, i'll be closing them and starting a new thread. Go to Cap Friendly if you want to see where the Pen stand.

This will be very GDT-like for the next couple days. Let's try to keep our emotions in check when we re-sign Kunitz to a 5x5m deal :sarcasm:

15-Office-Space-quotes.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad