GDT: Salary Cap Thread - Free Agency Frenzy Edition!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
It's still very much possible we plan to trade a D-man too.

Is it?

Rutherford's talked all summer about getting in another dmen to take minutes off of Letang and none of the rumoured trade proposals/chips have included dmen.

Famous last words, but I don't think I've seen anything all summer to indicate the team are thinking of trading a D-man.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
wow that's an extremely relevant and stat when comparing two players right now.

Johnson hasn't scored at a top 4 rate in the past 3 years at ES. Daley has literally every year for ages.
yep, and Riley Sheahan will never score 10 points.

Daley just had a 16 point season. Did he fall off a cliff or just go to a bad fit? JJ had 23 a year ago btw, just to point at that your premise is incorrect.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I think we should all take a moment today - even if it's just a moment, and realize how great some of the contracts on this team are.

When guys like JVR and E.Kane are making 7M a season..3-6 defensemen commanding 5M.. and top C's now commanding 8M at a minimum...

S.Crosby - 8.7M
P.Hornqvist - 5.3M
D.Brassard - 3M
J.Guentzel - 734k
M.Murray - 3.75M (Similar numbers to C.Price over the past 2.5 years mind you)
C.DeSmith - 675K (making our goalie tandem a risk, but very - very cheap)
D.Sprong - 750k (potential for a remarkable steal)

So go on griping about how the sun came out today, that you don't have to wear a dust mask to go outside, that you're at no risk for malaria and other diseases, and all of your other first world problems - but out of your 99 problems having a S-Tier hockey team ain't one.

With the cap continuing to rise, you've got to admit that outside of just having generational talent on the team- we have/had it GOOD for a few years.

Ok, I get it but, Desmith is not an NHL caliber player so..

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I haven't been there in 2 or 3 years, but I had a great time last time I was there. That said, I was there with my nephews, so it's probably a different experience.

Yeah, my kids are out of the kiddyland phase, it's really shrinks your experience. They need to add a lot more to the park. The nostalgia has grown quite old. What would really drive up its value would be a waterpark addition but that's just me.

Reactions: USMC607

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Is it?

Rutherford's talked all summer about getting in another dmen to take minutes off of Letang and none of the rumoured trade proposals/chips have included dmen.

Famous last words, but I don't think I've seen anything all summer to indicate the team are thinking of trading a D-man.

He’s talked all summer about getting depth and a LW too.

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
thanks!

not yet. my wife and i are actually gonna be snowbirds. so we're trying to find an rv park around there that works for us.

surprisingly some of the rv parks there are quite nice

I would love to snowbird. Cause summertime here is miserable for me cause I one of those always hot people. And I miss home, so itd be nice to split time.

Winter here though is great 50s-60s mostly. Some 40s and 70s.

I think we had 1 week of 30s in January, that's as low as it got.

RV parks down here are nice.
The area in general is, minus the neighborhoods near the city.

Which is why I chose Lake Buena Vista even tho it's a bit more pricey.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Yeah, my kids are out of the kiddyland phase, it's really shrinks your experience. They need to add a lot more to the park. The nostalgia has grown quite old. What would really drive up its value would be a waterpark addition but that just me.
Isn't that what Sandcastle is for?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yeah, my kids are out of the kiddyland phase, it's really shrinks your experience. They need to add a lot more to the park. The nostalgia has grown quite old. What would really drive up its value would be a waterpark addition but that's just me.

Doesn't Idewild actually have a pretty solid water park? I haven't been there for a couple of years, but it's a nice sized water park IIRC.

Isn't that what Sandcastle is for?

If you want to get HIV with the heroin needles lying around, then yeah :laugh:

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Every player has flaws but some on our D really stick out and come playoffs it can really sting if things aren’t going your way.

That’s why for our D we need stability/safer guys. Let our forwards win the games. That’s our strength.

Every team has those flaws somewhere. You can pick our forwards apart as well. Kessel is soft and doesn’t play defense, Hagelin has no hands or creativity, Hornqvist has no hands and is relatively slow, Simon fizzled over the course of the season, ZAR imploded in the playoffs, Malkin is an injury concern, etc. It’s just reality and doesn’t mean it’s a crippling problem.

The forwards kind of need someone to get them the puck and support them in the offensive zone too. The D needs some stability because the D has a lot of players who would benefit from it.

Let's not pretend Daley was particularly good at playing defense though. Or that Cole was some steady rock on the back end. People are talking about him like he's Hjalmarsson.

Daley wasn’t and Cole somehow became Lidstrom after being traded. It says something about Johnson’s defense and that Oleksiak’s defensive game seems to involve a lot of last second guessing.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Doesn't Idewild actually have a pretty solid water park? I haven't been there for a couple of years, but it's a nice sized water park IIRC.

If you want to get HIV with the heroin needles lying around, then yeah :laugh:
Idlewild is decent yeah.

Also, is there any reason to think a waterpark attached to Kennywood would be any better than the already affiliated Sandcastle?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Idlewild is decent yeah.

Also, is there any reason to think a waterpark attached to Kennywood would be any better than the already affiliated Sandcastle?

Oh definitely not, I think Kennywood basically is what it is at this point. I think you just have to only go once every few years, I could see Kennywood becoming really boring if you go often.

I went a couple of months ago and I was slightly sad to see the Log Jammer was killed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad