GDT: Salary Cap Thread - Free Agency Frenzy Edition!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015
Other teams have interest, so Kunitz may be priced out of Pittsburgh.
Thank God.....

Losing Bonino, Cullen and Cole was lifetimes more detrimental than losing Kunitz. Love him, but that ship has FINALLY sailed. Please no...

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Who is available that gives “jam with scoring?”

Lonestar!

spaceballs_fb_1426849.jpg

Reactions: orby

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Per Jimmy Murphy:

Can confirm #Pens are working on a big "hockey trade" right now. Does it happen? Dunno. All I know is they're pushing hard and word is they want more "jam with scoring up front"

Idk how credible he is, but it’s obvious the Pens are trying to make a hockey deal. Wonder who the Pens are after.

He also says it's not Patches....

Sorry, but if Lucic is a Pen by Sunday, I'll have to give up my card-carrying Penguins membership and move to the Sharks....

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
We're not getting Lucic. If anything, I would say Simmonds fits that mold. But he's a Flyer and Jimmy Murphy's as credible as anyone in this thread (and less so than some).

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
"Jam with scoring" rumor brings Corey Perry to mind. Not supporting the idea, but I'd think the Ducks would move him.

AverageJoeFan

Mad cat
Feb 15, 2018
Pittsburgh
Rumors are rumors. I will be enormously surprised if the Pens do more than JJ or Duclair level type of FA or trades.

That said, Kessel is probably at what I would think would be an all time high in value minus his PO run. I think most of us feel like you probably should move him if you are serious on Skinner. Cap wise and for various other reasons it makes sense. The only thing that might be holding back some(trade partners) are possible interest in someone like Panarin/Skinner. It has been made very clear that Kessel was/is important to the team. I think it would be extremely difficult to replace Kessel, but Skinner certainly could. I still think Kessel is one year away from being dealt, but who knows. One last thought, I still think Nashville would make an excellent trade partner for moving Kessel for a PMD.

Letang, I think management has really narrowed in on what they want to do by reducing his minutes overall. While his value is decent against anyone's cap I think he remains here. He's not worth an EK on the market and I think most of us believe while there is value, it might not be replacement value for what he gives to the Pen currently. Could we trade Letang? Yes. Will we trade Letang? The ONLY way I see this happening is if EK is somehow linked to the Pens or perhaps the aforementioned Nashville trade that lands what you believe is your new #1D and RH to boot. Welp...

EK trade has some many moving parts. I think back to getting Brassard and how complicated that was. Can you imagine the gymnastics involved in getting EK here? I dunno, I think it's just not realistic. Not to mention the NMC/NTC barriers. All that said, if anyone could pull it off, it would JR.

Just some thoughts...

AverageJoeFan

Mad cat
Feb 15, 2018
Pittsburgh
Regardless of this guy's credibility or lack thereof, if it's a hockey trade, then it might not even be someone who's available. Maybe I'm misremembering, but was Hornqvist thought to be available? I don't think so, but they made him available to get a goal scorer like Neal. If the Pens made Kessel available for example, then they could still land someone who's not being shopped.
This is what I was thinking too. It could be completely off the news cycle as far as we know.

RizzleMcRib

Cheeseburgers and rocket ships.
Jun 17, 2014
Wherever there are cheeseburgers.
Rumors are rumors. I will be enormously surprised if the Pens do more than JJ or Duclair level type of FA or trades.

That said, Kessel is probably at what I would think would be an all time high in value minus his PO run. I think most of us feel like you probably should move him if you are serious on Skinner. Cap wise and for various other reasons it makes sense. The only thing that might be holding back some(trade partners) are possible interest in someone like Panarin/Skinner. It has been made very clear that Kessel was/is important to the team. I think it would be extremely difficult to replace Kessel, but Skinner certainly could. I still think Kessel is one year away from being dealt, but who knows. One last thought, I still think Nashville would make an excellent trade partner for moving Kessel for a PMD.

Letang, I think management has really narrowed in on what they want to do by reducing his minutes overall. While his value is decent against anyone's cap I think he remains here. He's not worth an EK on the market and I think most of us believe while there is value, it might not be replacement value for what he gives to the Pen currently. Could we trade Letang? Yes. Will we trade Letang? The ONLY way I see this happening is if EK is somehow linked to the Pens or perhaps the aforementioned Nashville trade that lands what you believe is your new #1D and RH to boot. Welp...

EK trade has some many moving parts. I think back to getting Brassard and how complicated that was. Can you imagine the gymnastics involved in getting EK here? I dunno, I think it's just not realistic. Not to mention the NMC/NTC barriers. All that said, if anyone could pull it off, it would JR.

Just some thoughts...
Why move Kessel if you bring in Skinner if you don't have to? Guentz 1st line. Skinner 2nd line. Kessel 3rd line. Tell me who is going to match up against that?

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Also said he would be surprised if it happened by Sunday but you never know

AverageJoeFan

Mad cat
Feb 15, 2018
Pittsburgh

He also says it's not Patches....

Sorry, but if Lucic is a Pen by Sunday, I'll have to give up my card-carrying Penguins membership and move to the Sharks....

Lucic is by far a terrible thought. Not sure he can skate 200' at this point..He would literally have to stay outside of the D zone in order to keep up.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
If we're in on anyone other than Pacioretty or Skinner as far as big names go, I'd be really surprised. Then you have more minor guys like JJ and Duclair, which are probably more likely.

AverageJoeFan

Mad cat
Feb 15, 2018
Pittsburgh
Why move Kessel if you bring in Skinner if you don't have to? Guentz 1st line. Skinner 2nd line. Kessel 3rd line. Tell me who is going to match up against that?
No one and I for one would love it. Just thinking cap wise it would be super hard to accomplish...and you only have Skinner for 1 year for sure. Now, if you could, that would, at least in my mind, almost guarantee Kessel gets moved next offseason.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Also said he would be surprised if it happened by Sunday but you never know

Every team in the league would benefit from Karlsson, but not many teams have the cap space and/or want to spend what Ottawa likely wants in order to acquire him--especially with no long-term deal in place. Then you have Karlsson's NTC list which narrows it down even more.

It's really hard to move a guy of that caliber, who is set to make $10M+.

Reactions: AverageJoeFan

RizzleMcRib

Cheeseburgers and rocket ships.
Jun 17, 2014
Wherever there are cheeseburgers.
No one and I for one would love it. Just thinking cap wise it would be super hard to accomplish...and you only have Skinner for 1 year for sure. Now, if you could, that would, at least in my mind, almost guarantee Kessel gets moved next offseason.
I'd look to move Hags. Hags is a LW. Skinner (as I was corrected on yesterday) is a LW. Put him with Malkin and Horny. My Lord. :yo::yo::yo::yo:

Something like Hags + Jarry + 1st.
Carolina BADLY needs a G. I can't see them taking a D as their blueline is one of the better ones in the league with the addition of Hamilton.

Reactions: AverageJoeFan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad