Salary Cap: Salary Cap Thread for 2015-16 season - Cap set at 71.4m

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Please let Andersson go. Even at under a million, I would rather put that somewhere else. He doesn't even center a line anymore.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Please let Andersson go. Even at under a million, I would rather put that somewhere else. He doesn't even center a line anymore.

Andersson is ok, as a new cheaper "cleary". Benchwarmer 13-14th forward, with under 925k waiver-buriable contract. Those are nothing but good contracts.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Andersson is ok, as a new cheaper "cleary". Benchwarmer 13-14th forward, with under 925k waiver-buriable contract. Those are nothing but good contracts.

We got enough without him. Even assuming Cleary and no other UFAs are signed.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Pretty sure Smith made around 2 per year on his past deal. So any of you expecting to sign him at under 2 million are gonna be sad/angry. Common sense dictates that he will be signed for 2-2.5 million. I pray however that he is signed tops for 2 years only though. Factoring in the rising cap and the 3rd pairing types should be around 2.5-3 per and second pairing will settle into 5.5-5.99 per.

As of last year 2nd pairing UFA deals went for 5-5.5 per year. 3rd pairing appears to be around 2-2.5 million. with Smith 1 year away from UFA he might even get the Kindl special (ala 2.25 next year, 2.75 year after, 3.25 next). But I would hope the organizations scouting isn't that bad at determining talent. Granted are pro scouting has been in the toilet the past 3-4 years however.

Brandel*

Pretty sure Smith made around 2 per year on his past deal. So any of you expecting to sign him at under 2 million are gonna be sad/angry. Common sense dictates that he will be signed for 2-2.5 million. I pray however that he is signed tops for 2 years only though. Factoring in the rising cap and the 3rd pairing types should be around 2.5-3 per and second pairing will settle into 5.5-5.99 per.

As of last year 2nd pairing UFA deals went for 5-5.5 per year. 3rd pairing appears to be around 2-2.5 million. with Smith 1 year away from UFA he might even get the Kindl special (ala 2.25 next year, 2.75 year after, 3.25 next). But I would hope the organizations scouting isn't that bad at determining talent. Granted are pro scouting has been in the toilet the past 3-4 years however.

His AAV was 1.2625M on his past deal.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Smith earned 1.275M last year. 1.25M on previous year. Caphit was 1.2625M.

With his smallish production, I don't expect a huge raise. Kindl outproduced Smith with 2x more point in same kind of role before his extension.

He won't get a long-term contract because we already have a huge logjam at defence and then his salary won't get anyhow over 2M.

Have to find a RFA contract comparable.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Re-signing Smith should not be a priority before July 1st unless the Wings truly have no interest in signing a free agent. You don't sign Smith and then approach the likes of Green, Sekera, Franson, Martin et al. after tying one hand behind your back with yet another guaranteed contract to a mediocre defenseman. Smith needs to know the pecking order.

Same goes for Andersson. No reason to even sign the guy prior to August.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
I was thinking more likely something like this for him. Maybe even less term. It will be an interesting one to see.

https://www.hockeyscap.com/players/patric_hornqvist

(And Smith below 2)

Hornqvist. Bjugstad. Oshie. At 4.25 per or less, I see little reason not to sign him for 5-6 years. If he gets no better than he is now, he is worth $5M on the open market. And that's under a conservative cap. That deal would take him to 30-31 years old. Anything shorter, and he's got a good argument that he's still in his prime on his subsequent contract.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Re-signing Smith should not be a priority before July 1st unless the Wings truly have no interest in signing a free agent. You don't sign Smith and then approach the likes of Green, Sekera, Franson, Martin et al. after tying one hand behind your back with yet another guaranteed contract to a mediocre defenseman. Smith needs to know the pecking order.

Same goes for Andersson. No reason to even sign the guy prior to August.

You're not terrified that someone is going to snatch up Andersson from under us? :sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:

Brandel*

Two years would take him to UFA if I'm not mistaken, so I don't see this being an option.

Tatar's contract was 3 years and Khan didn't mention term anyway but if Khan thinks Nyquist's $ will be that low, I'm assuming the term will be short as well. I'm still thinking theres a chance Nyquist only gets 4 years. Although I wouldn't be surprised at seeing a long term deal either. Just not sold it's going to be a 6x4.5-5M or something similar.

Last edited by a moderator:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Tatar's contract was 3 years and Khan didn't mention term anyway but if Khan thinks Nyquist's $ will be that low, I'm assuming the term will be short as well. I'm still thinking theres a chance Nyquist only gets 4. Although I wouldn't be surprised at seeing a long term deal either. Just not sold it's going to be a 6x4.5-5M or something similar.

Fair, I just don't see a scenario where Nyquist's AAV is that low. Unless it's a 1 year deal. I'm a bit surprised Khan said this. Even at 4 years I don't see it being less than 4x4.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
That doesn't seem to make sense, Nyquist is two years older when signing his deal and he's got two 25 goal seasons under his belt -- Tatar had one 19 goal season. I'll believe it when I see it, Khan.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00