Salary Cap: Salary Cap Thread for 2015-16 season - Cap set at 71.4m

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I hope Holland finally realizes that you don't sign a 30+ year old player to a 5+ year deal. I'd rather lose a guy here and there than deal with the way the Franzen and Weiss contacts feel now, and how the Zetterberg contract will likely feel soon enough.

Not saying I'd never pony up for elite talent, but I'd MUCH rather pay more per year on a shorter deal than this 8-10 year nonsense.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
It was a different cba. I'm not Holland's biggest fan but he got screwed when they changed the rules. We would of been fine with the long contracts under the previous cba. Weiss on the other hand was a terrible signing.

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
It there is a coaching change, maybe we are going to play Weiss.

That or we can hope that he makes some strides. I know he scored some points but his actual input on the ice overall left much to be desired. He definitely has history of being better than that so, who knows?

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Weiss is a cap dump at this point only way he's getting moved is if Holland makes a significant trade and we need to send salary back.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
To be honest I think Weiss could make himself useful under a new coach. At least enough to not buy him out and have dead cap space. Babcock refused to give him a role and yet he put up 0.5ppg this season in a decent amount of games. If Franzen is out which feels more and more likely I think we can find Weiss a spot to start the season.

What's the worst thing to happen? Weiss sucks, gets injured, he's LTIR'd and we buy him out next summer instead. We have prospects ready to play in the meanwhile, or we add something att the deadline.

The million dollar question is how we clean up the defense. Each on their own we don't have massively overpaid players, but as a whole we're paying a whole lot for a mediocre group. No way Ericsson, Quincey, Kindl and Smith can make 12-13M between themselves.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
When I did those my own offensive zone "advanced" about scoring attempts, Weiss was a weirdo. he didn't have a lot of chanches, but he buried them with extremely high percentage. When the playoffs started I hoped he would put to play with Datsyuk, who creates those glory chances for him and he buries them. That thing didn't happen. It was Tatar, missing glorious attempts after attempt, empty nets breakaways etc. I wonder how Weiss would have gone there...

I like Akader-Z-Gus line, but I would change that second line swapping Tatar and Weiss. Tats is old triggerman for Sheahan so why not put them together. And try to wake up Weiss with Pavel.

Akader - Z - Gus
helm - Dats - Weiss
Tatar - Sheahan - Pulkkinen/Jurco
Miller - Glendening - Ferraro
(Andersson, Jurco/Pulkkinen)

That's what I would like to see.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
To be honest I think Weiss could make himself useful under a new coach. At least enough to not buy him out and have dead cap space. Babcock refused to give him a role and yet he put up 0.5ppg this season in a decent amount of games. If Franzen is out which feels more and more likely I think we can find Weiss a spot to start the season.

What's the worst thing to happen? Weiss sucks, gets injured, he's LTIR'd and we buy him out next summer instead. We have prospects ready to play in the meanwhile, or we add something att the deadline.

The million dollar question is how we clean up the defense. Each on their own we don't have massively overpaid players, but as a whole we're paying a whole lot for a mediocre group. No way Ericsson, Quincey, Kindl and Smith can make 12-13M between themselves.

Quincey is the only Good dman on that list. Smith is Ok, Depending on the game.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I hope Holland finally realizes that you don't sign a 30+ year old player to a 5+ year deal. I'd rather lose a guy here and there than deal with the way the Franzen and Weiss contacts feel now, and how the Zetterberg contract will likely feel soon enough.

Not saying I'd never pony up for elite talent, but I'd MUCH rather pay more per year on a shorter deal than this 8-10 year nonsense.

That's one of the many things I like about Datsyuk: he never signed one of those stupid contracts. He always signed reasonable deals that paid him what he was worth.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
When I did those my own offensive zone "advanced" about scoring attempts, Weiss was a weirdo. he didn't have a lot of chanches, but he buried them with extremely high percentage. When the playoffs started I hoped he would put to play with Datsyuk, who creates those glory chances for him and he buries them. That thing didn't happen. It was Tatar, missing glorious attempts after attempt, empty nets breakaways etc. I wonder how Weiss would have gone there...

I like Akader-Z-Gus line, but I would change that second line swapping Tatar and Weiss. Tats is old triggerman for Sheahan so why not put them together. And try to wake up Weiss with Pavel.

Akader - Z - Gus
helm - Dats - Weiss
Tatar - Sheahan - Pulkkinen/Jurco
Miller - Glendening - Ferraro
(Andersson, Jurco/Pulkkinen)

That's what I would like to see.

Won't be against that. Always liked the kids line, and you got a point with Weiss.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
That's one of the many things I like about Datsyuk: he never signed one of those stupid contracts. He always signed reasonable deals that paid him what he was worth.

Those stupid deals were beneficial to the team. Zetterberg and Franzen would of had huge caphits if they had shorter deals. Actually not sure we would of been able to sign Franzen at that point without out it.

ScottyBowman

Mar 10, 2003
Detroit
Visit site
This is pathetic if we only have $5 mil to spend next year. This is the most overpaid roster in the league. Start trading some of this garbage away. Give them away. Do something. Don't bring this same cast of losers that can't get it done year after year. I really wished they would have missed the playoffs so maybe we would have seen some changes. Now we will have "25" in big silver letters all over Detroit. Our Cup is squeaking in the playoffs. Pathetic.

Brandel*

Wings: $55,907,877
Cap: $71,400,000

Space: $15,492,123

UFA:
Cole
Cleary
Zidlicky

RFA:
Ferraro
Pulkkinen
Jurco
Andersson
Nyquist
Smith

Last edited by a moderator:

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Wings: $55,907,877
Cap: $71,400,000

Space: $15,492,123

UFA:
Cole
Cleary
Zidlicky

RFA:
Ferraro
Pulkinnen
Jurco
Andersson
Nyquist
Smith

I'm thinking at least half of that will go to re-signing Smith and Nyquist. Ferrarro, Pulkkinen, Jurco, and Andersson might take up another 4-5m. Not much left.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
RFA's & Cap space (Cap is set at $71.4M)

Salary cap was officially announced to be $71.4 million for this upcoming season, per multiple sources.

Cap Space: $15,492,123 (Thanks GooseTooLoose)

RFA's:
Ferraro
Pulkinnen
Jurco
Andersson
Nyquist
Smith

How much money do you think we will pay to these RFA's, and will we offer all of them a contract?

Do you think we will have enough money left to participate in free agency? Or do you believe Holland that we will sit on the sidelines?

Brandel*

I'm thinking at least half of that will go to re-signing Smith and Nyquist. Ferrarro, Pulkkinen, Jurco and Andersson might take up another 4-5m. Not much left.

I personally think you're too high on both numbers. Nyquist/Smith will take 5-5.5 together imo and if the other 4 get 5M then then :help: They should all be cheap.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I personally think you're too high on both numbers. Nyquist/Smith will take 5-5.5 together imo and if the other 4 get 5M then then :help: They should all be cheap.

Really? I'm thinking Nyquist will get close to 4m and Smith will get close to 3m. Nyquist had back to back years closing in on 30 goals.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
So the new Cap will be 71.4M.

[/b]
With a 71 million cap:

Cap space: ~5 million.

LTIR cap space: ~9 million.

Noticed that we got some carryover bonuses from last season to this year's cap by 1.1M, so we would have ~4.3M in cap space with all RFAs re-signed, and ~8.3M if Franzen is put in LTIR.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Even if we did have enough money for free agency (which I think we most definitely will), I doubt we sign anyone before someone gets traded. There's just not enough roster space.

Brandel*

Really? I'm thinking Nyquist will get close to 4m and Smith will get close to 3m. Nyquist had back to back years closing in on 30 goals.

I agree with Nyquist (although it's tough to say whether the Wings will look long term or not, I don't think they will) but I don't think Smith will come close to that number.

Brandel*

So the new Cap will be 71.4M.

Noticed that we got some carryover bonuses from last season to this year's cap by 1.1M, so we would have ~4.3M in cap space with all RFAs re-signed, and ~8.3M if Franzen is put in LTIR.

Forgot bonuses, that does give us a bit less space.

edit: think generalfanager accounts for it & hsj updated her # to the same as mine. I think 15.492M is correct.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1