Salary Cap: Salary Cap Summer | The Hunt for 3C | Updated cap info in Post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Thought that was a really good deal for them but idk. He hasn't scored more than 38 pts, I thought for some reason he's hit like 50.

But only 3 seasons and he's young, guess kinda standard for a guy like that?

For a bridge deal, yea.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
With Lupul and Horton going on LTIR, the leafs still have space to acquire 1 more big piece. If they signed Markov they could do some serious damage.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Ok, heres my C big board.

Available to probably most available list:

ANA - Vermette - 1.75Mx1yr
CGY - Stajan - 3.125Mx1yr
COL - Soderberg - 4.75Mx3yrs but with Duchene on the way out, maybe they keep him.
COL - Duchene - 6Mx2yrs
DET - Helm - 3.85Mx4yrs
DET - Sheahan - 2.075Mx1yr
DET - Glendenning - 1.8Mx4yrs - 4C material
PHI - Filppula - 5Mx1yr
SJ - Tierney - RFA Not signed. With Marleau gone, they can use some speedy production on the wing.
TBL - Johnson - RFA Not Signed.
VAN - Sutter - Nope.
VGK - Eakin - 3.85Mx3yrs
VGK - Karlsson - 1Mx1yr
WSH - Eller - 3.5Mx1yr

Maybe to doubtful they are available list:

BOS - Spooner - RFA not signed. Purely offensive C at this point.
CAR - Staal - 6Mx6yrs
CAR - Teravainen - 2.86Mx2yrs
CAR - Ryan - 1.425Mx1yr
DAL - Faksa - RFA Not signed.
DAL - Shore - 870kx1yr
EDM - RNH - 6Mx4yrs - may not be available right now but EDM likely to move before the 18-19 cap crunch.
FLA - Bjugstad - 4.1Mx4yrs - FLA likely moves Demers and not Bjug.
MTL - Galchyenuk - RFA Not Signed. Not a proven NHL C.
NJ - Henrique - 4Mx2yrs
NJ - Zajac - 5.75Mx4yrs
OTT - Smith - 3.25x4yrs
STL - Sobotka - 3.5Mx3yrs
STL - Berglund - 3.85Mx5yrs
TOR - Bozak - 4.3Mx1yr - same thing as RNH. Can keep him this year then likely goes/is let go before the cap crunch.
WPG - Lowry - 1.125Mx1yr
WPG - Perreault - 4.125Mx4yrs - Not exactly a true C now. More of a winger.

Don't believe a guy like Haula or Marchessault are available. If they aren't on my big board^, i feel the same way about them.

Last edited:

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
Thought that was a really good deal for them but idk. He hasn't scored more than 38 pts, I thought for some reason he's hit like 50.

And on that note...Sheary hit 53 playing 3/4 of a season.

froods

I blame Paul Martin and Jack Johnson
Aug 28, 2009
Fort Erie, ON

They are still boned. They have just over 5 million and still need 6 guys.

Last edited:

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I'm sensing that size is a theme with Guerin's signings.

ETA: This guy is 6'3'' 210
Summers 6'2'' 209
Tinordi 6'6'' 230
Trotman 6'3'' 217

Size is a waste if they are not fast for this team. If he surrounds this team with huge slow players he needs to be fired asap for changing what's kept the Pens amazing...speed+skill.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
With Lupul and Horton going on LTIR, the leafs still have space to acquire 1 more big piece. If they signed Markov they could do some serious damage.

If Markov is going to sign for one year, he might as well go to a contender. The Habs are a mess. Price is going to need to go full Hasek for them to win 4 playoff rounds.

Be patient Markov.

froods

I blame Paul Martin and Jack Johnson
Aug 28, 2009
Fort Erie, ON
Size is a waste if they are not fast for this team. If he surrounds this team with huge slow players he needs to be fired asap for changing what's kept the Pens amazing...speed+skill.

Good thing these were all AHL fillers then. :D

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

are those guys slow? And are they ever going to see the NHL?

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
Yeah, something to be said about playing with Sid though, as opposed to Burakovsky I believe was like a 3rd line guy?

He'll be getting top 6 min now though.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Think what will hold Sheary's $ back is the fact he was healthy scratched at certain points last season.
i'm guessing max 2.5 on a 1 or 2yr deal.
Kinda like Schultz. Prove your consistent enough to deserve the bigger bucks.

Also could very likely be traded in the 3C acquisition.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Seem to recall people saying Tinordi has pace?

I strongly doubt Guerin's coming up with all the ideas on who he recruits for WBS and until proven otherwise, I'm gonna assume all the guys can skate because of how loudly they've repeated that as a team need again and again over the last two years.

There seems to be a big belief in the org that they need more big d who can skate and move a puck. Don't see much to argue with there tbh.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
People say that they are good skaters, I don't know how it translates to the NHL or Pens level though.

I wonder how good they are at moving the puck. We were previously able to find guys adept at that because GM's overlooked them for their lack of size.

You know they'll see NHL time. It's the Pens. :(

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Kind of wishful thinking here, but I'm assuming that the organization knows Cullen is returning, as there's been no depth signings at center. And I honestly don't believe that GMJR prefers to have Rowney as the 4C once the season starts, regardless of what he tells the media.

Well, we did sign Greg McKegg, who is a very good AHL center and a 4C candidate. And we already had guys like Blueger, Simon, Dea, Di Pauli. So if we are going to bring in more 4C candidates, I suspect they may be coming via PTO's.

ANA - Vermette - 1.75Mx1yr
CGY - Stajan - 3.125Mx1yr
COL - Soderberg - 4.75Mx3yrs but with Duchene on the way out, maybe they keep him.
COL - Duchene - 6Mx2yrs
DET - Helm - 3.85Mx4yrs
DET - Glendening - 1.8Mx4yrs - 4C material
PHI - Filppula - 5Mx1yr
SJ - Tierney - RFA Not signed. With Marleau gone, they can use some speedy production on the wing.
TBL - Johnson - RFA Not Signed.
VAN - Sutter - Nope.
VGK - Eakin - 3.85Mx3yrs
VGK - Karlsson - 1Mx1yr
WSH - Eller - 3.5Mx1yr

Maybe to doubtful they are available list:

BOS - Spooner - RFA not signed. Purely offensive C at this point.
CAR - Staal - 6Mx6yrs
CAR - Teravainen - 2.86Mx2yrs
CAR - Ryan - 1.425Mx1yr
DAL - Faksa - RFA Not signed.
DAL - Shore - 870kx1yr
EDM - RNH - 6Mx4yrs - may not be available right now but EDM likely to move before the 18-19 cap crunch.
FLA - Bjugstad - 4.1Mx4yrs - FLA likely moves Demers and not Bjug.
MTL - Galchyenuk - RFA Not Signed. Not a proven NHL C.
NJ - Henrique - 4Mx2yrs
NJ - Zajac - 5.75Mx4yrs
OTT - Smith - 3.25x4yrs
STL - Sobotka - 3.5Mx3yrs
STL - Berglund - 3.85Mx5yrs
TOR - Bozak - 4.3Mx1yr - same thing as RNH. Can keep him this year then likely goes/is let go before the cap crunch.
WPG - Lowry - 1.125Mx1yr
WPG - Perreault - 4.125Mx4yrs - Not exactly a true C now. More of a winger.

Don't believe a guy like Haula or Marchessault are available. If they aren't on my big board^, i feel the same way about them.

Marchessault is one of those guys who is listed as a C but never plays there.

Of your first list, the only guy I really like is Tyler Johnson, and there's no way Yzerman deals him to us. It would be his funeral if he did.

The second list is more interesting. Spooner is definitely on the block, rumored to be headed to Arizona. I like Spooner but again, Boston is probably not dealing with us.

Staal and RNH I would take, as long as at least Hagelin's contract is going the other way (and preferably a bigger contract like Maatta or Hornqvist).

Teravainen and Galchenyuk are still my top two targets.

I'm lukewarm on Henrique, and again Shero may not want to help us. Bjugstad is a gamble with that contract and his injury history scares me.

Not a big fan of Z. Smith as a center, prefer him on the wing. Sobotka is going nowhere. Berglund will miss at least 2 months after shoulder surgery. And Bozak will cost too much in trade to be worth it.

Winnipeg is underrated in this center discussion. Not a Perreault fan because of the money, but Lowry is interesting, Nic Petan is interesting, Andrew Copp is interesting and their top prospect Jack Roslovic is interesting.

Yeah, Sheary could easily ask for more than Burakovsky, healthy scratches or not. Production is production and it usually = dollars.

We'll see what happens now, but I don't think Sheary will be as cheap as we think. Maybe he'll accept a one-year deal, hopefully.

Also, Guerin is not the GM. Let's relax. Those defensemen acquired are rather solid AHL players, and they still have some NHL aspirations/ability.

Czuczman, Tinordi, Trotman and Summers...it's hard to collect a better group for your AHL team tbh.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

PHI - Filppula - 5Mx1yr

VGK - Eakin - 3.85Mx3yrs

Only three I'd be interested in.

Sheahan's more of a reclamation project that you could hit big on.

Filppula would actually be a good replacement for Bonino. Skilled enough offensively, but solid defensively. And since this is his final year, you can always move on from him next year if he doesn't pan out.

Steel Winning

Philling The Net
Aug 4, 2015
Wonder if Komarov could be had... Not a natural center but took 200 faceoffs last year and can play all three forward positions. 1 year @ 2.95, should be good for 15g 20a. Wonder if a 2nd would get it done

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Wonder if Komarov could be had... Not a natural center but took 200 faceoffs last year and can play all three forward positions. 1 year @ 2.95, should be good for 15g 20a. Wonder if a 2nd would get it done

Babcock loves that guy. He'd be an amazing addition, but there's no reason for the Leafs to move him. He's a perfect grit compliment to Toronto's skilled youth.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Also, Guerin is not the GM. Let's relax. Those defensemen acquired are rather solid AHL players, and they still have some NHL aspirations/ability.

Czuczman, Tinordi, Trotman and Summers...it's hard to collect a better group for your AHL team tbh.
Guerin is the GM. Unless you mean for Pittsburgh, but that doesn't make any sense in the context of WBS signings. Not sure what you meant?

No one needs to relax because no one is freaking out. Let's try to move away from the whole "HF is freaking out" canard.

It is perfectly reasonable to look at JR's potential replacement and assess where he may differ from JR and Botterill. Whether they make a great AHL D is only a small part of that discussion. After all, it's July 4, and we've already recycled conversations of all existing potential 3C's.

For the record, I like what I've read about the signings and look forward to camp.

That he is believer that size matters?

:laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad