Salary Cap: Salary Cap Summer | The Hunt for 3C | Stop trying to give Sheary or Maatta away

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Not really, he doesn't PK, he doesn't hit, he hasn't been more than a third wheel in both our cup runs. He is a less versatile more offensively creative Dupuis. Look at what wingers get traded for.

Of all of the dumb player comparisons I've seen on this site over the years, I think this one takes the cake. No, seriously. It's just awful.

Nashville can afford to move one of their top four defensemen for a center

No they can't.

NYR can sell half their team for a top center. They could package Zibanjed or Hayes for an improvement.

Uh okay? The Penguins can do stupid things as well to bring in a guy like RNH. They could potentially trade any of Maatta, Hornqvist, Sheary, Rust or anyone crazy like that.

Montreal can package Galchenyuk.

The only logical point you made in this post, but even then, Galchenyuk isn't being traded for RNH. Galchenyuk is being traded for a better center than RNH.

You just said you wanted to trade for RNH, what to expect to move for him beyond Maatta / Dumo + a winger like Sheary / Rust?

Well seeing how RNH just had a 43 point season, I'm not going to trade a better defenseman plus a higher scoring winger for him, that's for sure.\

No, you're overvaluing a complimentary winger. He doesn't do anything, but put up points. He's really good at that, but he's still a winger in a game where centers and defense are what have value in a trade. If you're moving Sheary for a center you are getting a player like Bones when he came here that puts up 30 - 40 points, but is questionable. Wingers simply don't have value because they are too easy to find.

Last time I checked, putting up points is pretty damn important for winning games. I don't really care how 1 dimensional he is (he's not really 1 dimensional either, he's a pretty solid in all facets offensively) because you don't win games by getting hits or having your wingers be good defensively.

Pengwins

Jun 13, 2017
JR better make a good move here. They could have simply just signed JJ for 3C and D Moore to split time with Rowney at 4C. Then look to improve at the deadline

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
JR better make a good move here. They could have simply just signed JJ for 3C and D Moore to split time with Rowney at 4C. Then look to improve at the deadline

He probably won't make a move until he knows what he's working with after Sheary/Dumo's arbitration.

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh
How the hell is Sheary being compared to Dupuis? They are completely different wingers in style and have absolutely no relevance to each other. They both played next to Sid over extended periods. That's about the only similarity.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002

I'd rather wait, like, a small amount of time than settle for garbage.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Why don't you do the research and let us know?

My reasearch shows that Kunitz outproduced Sheary in the playoffs. Research shows that Sheary was a healthy scratch for 3 games.

Research the playoff GDT's and tell me about Sheary. I think some people forget how bad Sheary was in the playoffs, outside of maybe game 5 against Nashville where Sid went ape ****.

CertifiedLurker

Aug 13, 2016
The only thing I don't like about Sheary is how ghostly he becomes when the games are tighter checking and heavier. If he was able to stay upright for more than a few seconds per shift in the playoffs he might be a great winger. Seems like a regular season hero, which isn't bad, but this team will make the post-season with or without him, he's gotta do more in the post-season to justify a fairly large increase in salary.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Of all of the dumb player comparisons I've seen on this site over the years, I think this one takes the cake. No, seriously. It's just awful.

Not really. Fringe top six player that is a solid top nine option that has had his point totals extremely impacted by playing next to the best winger in the game. This isn't a Guentzel or Hornqvist situation. Sheary doesn't create ice with anything but his speed.

Uh okay? The Penguins can do stupid things as well to bring in a guy like RNH. They could potentially trade any of Maatta, Hornqvist, Sheary, Rust or anyone crazy like that.

Rust, Sheary, Hornqvist and Maatta are not crazy for a 50 point center on a down year.

The only logical point you made in this post, but even then, Galchenyuk isn't being traded for RNH. Galchenyuk is being traded for a better center than RNH.

Severly underrating RNH. Especially as we have seen here with Schultz, Edmonton is a cess pool lifted by a generational talent right now. He's a solid # 2 on pretty much 25 teams in the league.

Last time I checked, putting up points is pretty damn important for winning games. I don't really care how 1 dimensional he is (he's not really 1 dimensional either, he's a pretty solid in all facets offensively) because you don't win games by getting hits or having your wingers be good defensively.

He doesn't have a slapshot, he doesn't create space with his frame, he doesn't have the brain of a player like Guentz, the drive of a player like Rust, or the defensive awareness of Kuhn. There is a reason he's the one sitting in arbitration. I don't think you could even move Sheary for a 1st round pick straight up right now.

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh
My reasearch shows that Kunitz outproduced Sheary in the playoffs. Research shows that Sheary was a healthy scratch for 3 games.

Research the playoff GDT's and tell me about Sheary. I think some people forget how bad Sheary was in the playoffs, outside of maybe game 5 against Nashville where Sid went ape ****.

Not really significant, but I believe it was only 2 games (Games 5 and 6 vs Ottawa).

I do think people are also forgetting what they were saying about Sheary at mid-season. How he was turning into a mini-Sid and creating so many plays on his own and consistently one of our biggest threats offensively over a long stretch.

The truth of the matter is we really don't know exactly how good he is going to be longer term. Do I think he will maintain a 70 point pace, very unlikely. Do I think he will be better than he was in these playoffs? Very likely. Just like people don't want to discount what we saw in his most recent stretch in the playoffs, we shouldn't entirely discount what he did for a long stretch this season either. We aren't going back years to find an example, it was just a few months ago. Yes, playing with Sid helps, but none of Sid's other wingers led the league in ES P/60 and during that stretch, people were giving him a lot of credit for creating chances on his own, but now people are acting like he was just along for the ride.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
If you ask me Sheary probably poops his pants and we should put him on waivers. As if anybody would even claim his undoubtedly smelly ass.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
If Hornqvist is asking too much, i'd target Gallagher who's set at 3.7 million for 5 more years and is a better player than Hornqvist when healthy. I'd try Sheary + for Byron(Good Sheary replacement, also at 1.1 mil for 2 more years) and Gallagher.

He's not "a better player", he's a different player. He's fast and goes to the paint and is more skilled then Hornqvist, but isn't as gritty, and having missed almost 50 games the last two years... I think some skepticism about his health is legitimate. Not to mention that Gallagher doesn't address a single position of need for us? We don't need a Hornqvist replacement right now, we need a #3C.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Not really. Fringe top six player that is a solid top nine option that has had his point totals extremely impacted by playing next to the best winger in the game. This isn't a Guentzel or Hornqvist situation. Sheary doesn't create ice with anything but his speed.

You're really just talking out of your ass here. Sheary and Dupuis are only comparable in that they're both fast wingers who meshed well with Crosby. To say that Sheary doesn't create anything with anything but his speed is just nonsense.

Severly underrating RNH. Especially as we have seen here with Schultz, Edmonton is a cess pool lifted by a generational talent right now. He's a solid # 2 on pretty much 25 teams in the league.

Edmonton was one win away from making it to the conference finals last year. You can't use the "Edmonton is a cess pool" argument anymore.

He doesn't have a slapshot

No slapshot, right?

he doesn't create space with his frame, he doesn't have the brain of a player like Guentz, the drive of a player like Rust, or the defensive awareness of Kuhn.

The only part of this you got right was that he didn't have the defensive awareness of Kuhnhackl. To act like he doesn't have a drive or doesn't have a very high hockey IQ is just admitting you know nothing about him.

There is a reason he's the one sitting in arbitration. I don't think you could even move Sheary for a 1st round pick straight up right now.

Yeah, because he's a free agent right now and the other ones aren't. What kind of stupid **** comment is this?

Your takes on Sheary are so bad that I'm not going to take them seriously anymore. You obviously have no idea what you're talking about here.

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh
He doesn't have a slapshot, he doesn't create space with his frame, he doesn't have the brain of a player like Guentz, the drive of a player like Rust, or the defensive awareness of Kuhn. There is a reason he's the one sitting in arbitration. I don't think you could even move Sheary for a 1st round pick straight up right now.

Yes you could. A young RFA winger coming off of a 53pt in 61 game season vs a complete wild card that MAY help years down the road. There are teams contending now that would give that up for an offensive boost right now.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I'd move Hagelin before Sheary every day of the week, but I doubt Hagelin's worth much of anything on the trade market. Sheary's the guy who has the best mix of valuable asset + expendable asset.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Yep. Im not aware of Tampa cap but i think they're right next to the cap. Idk what they're gonna do. I don't think he has signed yet. Wouldn't be shocked if he gets traded.

They'd probably want Maatta instead of Sheary though. They need D. as long as TJ comes signed under 5.5, i'd make that trade. Maatta for a Signed TJ.

A very quick look shows that they have ~15m in cap space and only TJ and Palat to sign.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
I sure the **** hope that Jake doesn't struggle next season with all of the new attention that's inevitably going to be paid to him.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
So what are people willing to pay Sheary? What do you think is fair value for Sheary what do you see him as producing in the regular season and in the playoffs?

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba

That has nothing to do with my comment. You claimed that you felt he was a flat track bully. I can't take that seriously without statistical evidence, which is why I suggested you do the research. Now you're moving the goalposts.

I've never denied that he was generally poor in the playoffs, but I do think that people are extrapolating way too much from a small sample size. I also think it's telling that you keep qualifying anything positive he does with a disclaimer about Sid doing most of the work.

Sheary was fantastic during the regular season in a much larger sample size than the playoffs. Playoff hockey is obviously tighter and he definitely didn't silence his critics with his play, but that doesn't make him overrated. If anything, the fact that a guy who produced like a star in the regular season (key phrasing: like a star) is being doubted so much suggests that he isn't overrated.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I feel like TJ is overkill for the 3C spot. He can range anywhere from a 70 point top line center to a 50 point great 2nd line center in any given year, but you know he'll get damn close to a PPG in the playoffs. I think that's just as overkill as trading for Duchene to make him the 3C. I wouldn't mind getting a top-6 center to be the 3C, but I'd be looking at average to lower end 2nd liners if I wanted a top-6 center in the 3C spot. Someone exactly like Staal for example. I wouldn't be looking at legit 1st liners in that spot.

If we're talking about someone like that, I'm going after guys
like Staal, Henrique, RNH, Zajac or Little.

RNH would be an amazing pickup as our #3C. Not sure what we'd be adding to Sheary to get him, but as long as it wasn't a D, Rust, Sprong or Guentzel, I'd probably do it.

Guentzel - Crosby - Hornqvist
Rust - Malkin - Kessel
Hagelin - RNH - Sprong/Wilson/X
Reaves - Rowney - Wilson/Kuhnhackl/X

We'd be cap tight, but not stupidly so. Would just mean that Sheary's replacement needs to be cheap.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I like Sheary a lot, but he was pretty meh in the playoffs last season (likely due to injury midway through), and this year's playoffs he was absolutely abysmal for the vast majority of our run. There's no real debating that. He was bad.

I still think he's got a lot of value though, both to this team and as an asset to acquire a good fit at 3C.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
He's not "a better player", he's a different player. He's fast and goes to the paint and is more skilled then Hornqvist, but isn't as gritty, and having missed almost 50 games the last two years... I think some skepticism about his health is legitimate. Not to mention that Gallagher doesn't address a single position of need for us? We don't need a Hornqvist replacement right now, we need a #3C.

And iirc it was because he ended up breaking the same hand/fingers twice and needed surgery both times.

I sure the **** hope that Jake doesn't struggle next season with all of the new attention that's inevitably going to be paid to him.

Oh he will and it'll be ugly. Rough patches happen and he'll also being a young player playing his first full NHL season after a short offseason. People should remember that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad