Salary Cap: Salary Cap Summer | The Hunt for 3C | Stop trying to give Sheary or Maatta away

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Yep. I just don't know what is going to change at this point. He should just pull the trigger on something.

we will sign our RFAs, which will tell us how much cap space we have. That's a pretty big thing to change. Oh, and the best available center is still available. So even if we're not in on him, other moves may be on hold until that plays out. So yeah, plenty left to change.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Let's say that Hornqvist is asking for too much money/long term next year, and we decide to let him go. Do you guys think we should acquire a player of a similar mold?

Last edited:

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
LOL! Never read that one before. I think I have a new signature (or will shortly)...

"The Penguins' best days are buried, and they're trying to play catch-up late". - Rob Rossi, 01/2016 (as Pittsburgh goes on to win back to back Cups).

it really is remarkable how bad he is at his job. Or was at least. Man, I wish I could get away with that level of incompetence.

froods

I blame Paul Martin and Jack Johnson
Aug 28, 2009
Fort Erie, ON
we will sign our RFAs, which will tell us how much cap space we have. That's a pretty big thing to change. Oh, and the best available center is still available. So even if we're not in on him, other moves may be on hold until that plays out. So yeah, plenty left to change.

I don't see him trading Maata. That would be almost impossible to replace at this point in the process. I think it is a smaller fish.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Let's say that Hornqvist is asking for too much money/long term next year, and we decide to let him go. Do you guys think we should acquire a player of a similar mold?

Maybe not the exact same model, but there needs to be a wing or two who has the strength, will and co-ordination to get work done in the dirty places.

Hopefully ZAR becomes one pretty quick.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
LOL! Never read that one before. I think I have a new signature (or will shortly)...

"The Penguins' best days are buried, and they're trying to play catch-up late". - Rob Rossi, 01/2016 (as Pittsburgh goes on to win back to back Cups).

It's remarkably quotable and needs to be remembered. Or,

"Their philosophies were no longer his. What they prized was not what he sought." - Rob Rossi, 01/2016 (attempting to compliment Shero before Pittsburgh goes on to win back to back cups)

"The Penguins aren't the same thing since Shero was fired May 16, 2014. Then, at the very least, their identity was that of a “top quartile†NHL team." - Rob Rossi, 01/2016 (attempting to compliment Shero before Pittsburgh goes on to win back to back cups)

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Unless it's a big time acquisition, it sounds like JR will move a wing+picks for a center. Got no problem giving Olli time to develop. He's not gonna see more ice time than a 4/5.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
That article is the best.

The best was when he wrote an entire column about how he did not attend a Pens game but spent his evening with some friends instead. The bitterness about the Shero/Bylsma firing seeped out from between the lines like the pink goo in Ghostbusters 2, it was incredible. Should have been fired on the spot. :laugh:

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Is everyone really comfortable giving Sheary a short term deal near 4 mil? Takes him closer to free agency and as a result, of less value.

I defended him the past couple seasons, but that's with him at near league minimum. Healthy scratching a guy making that money is totally different. Especially when we still need our center depth restocked.

I absolutely am not. Use him as a center-piece for Haula.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I wasn't coming after you at all. Just thinking it through.

fair enough. I have said for a while that I wish there was an agree and disagree version of quote :laugh:

I do agree we are likely going for a mid-tier guy and not a big fish for 3C. But I still think we could be going after someone on a team looking to add Duchene who may not be available unless they get him. Also, cap space is still a factor.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
Jussi Jokinen has signed with Edmonton for 1 year, 1.1 million. Wasn't much of an option at center in the first place but now he's definitely off the table.

froods

I blame Paul Martin and Jack Johnson
Aug 28, 2009
Fort Erie, ON
fair enough. I have said for a while that I wish there was an agree and disagree version of quote :laugh:

I do agree we are likely going for a mid-tier guy and not a big fish for 3C. But I still think we could be going after someone on a team looking to add Duchene who may not be available unless they get him. Also, cap space is still a factor.

Plus we have become accustomed to fighting all the time with many posters. It is understandable. :laugh:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I absolutely am not. Use him as a center-piece for Haula.

People were excited about Haula when Minnesota fans suggested he could be had for a 2nd, which was a nice price for a promising young 3C.

I think retaining the same enthusiasm for him as an equal trade for Sheary is a gross failure of valuation on one of the two players' parts.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Plus we have become accustomed to fighting all the time with many posters. It is understandable. :laugh:

tenor.gif

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
That is my thought. JR is known to overpay when he wants a particular player. Reaves as an example, but that has been his reputation for years. Sakic must be trying for a ridiculous return that not even JR will pay the price.

JR usually does get his man and you are right he is willing to overpay for it if he has to. I don't see that as a problem if it is the perfect fit to help the team. For example everyone criticized the Hall deal and said the Oilers got robbed but they ended up having a great season and improved big time as a team. Sometimes the fit on your team is worth more then the players value on other teams. Another example of this was Neal for Hornqvist. Hornqvist was exactly what the Pens needed and made us a better team because we needed a forward that was good in front of the net. Sometimes he guessed wrong like when JR gave up too much for Staal with Sutter, Dumoulin, and the 8th overall pick which at the time I was pumped because I thought we would choose Forsberg. JR thought Staal was going to increase his point production when given an opportunity not being behind Crosby and Malkin but he was wrong. I can see why he thought that and how that would also make his best player happy, Eric Staal.

The prices must be high because when JR wants something he usually gets it. He usually tries to get the best fit for the need. The 4 recent examples that come to mind (1. Need net front presence: get Hornqvist who was known as one of the top 3 in the game, 2. Need to replace Neal's shot on Geno's wing: get Kessel who was known as one of the best shots in the game, 3. Need to find players to play your new coaches fast forechecking system: get Hagelin who is known as one of the fastest and best forecheckers in the game, 4. Need a tough, physical, intimidating presence that can play a regular shift: gets Reaves who might be the best in the game to provide that.

I think JR wants to do the same for 3C and wants someone that could provide 2016 HBK line production. I believe he is looking at a Duchene type player.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
People were excited about Haula when Minnesota fans suggested he could be had for a 2nd, which was a nice price for a promising young 3C.

I think retaining the same enthusiasm for him as an equal trade for Sheary is a gross failure of valuation on one of the two players' parts.

That was because they were going to lose him for nothing, which they did. Now he's a 15G fast as lightning center who was 54% on faceoffs last year, and is signed to a great deal through his prime.

You really think Sheary at 3.8M or whatever he gets is worth way more than him, with us having the need and making the call? I bet Vegas says no.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Yep. I just don't know what is going to change at this point. He should just pull the trigger on something.

Not happening. I think you'll see Rowney and Bleugers before Guentzel there.

No way Rowney gets slotted as the 3C. Although, I can see him manning the 4C until the deadline. Unless I'm underrating Bleuger, Guentzel would be the best option.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
That was because they were going to lose him for nothing, which they did. Now he's a 15G fast as lightning center who was 54% on faceoffs last year, and is signed to a great deal through his prime.

You really think Sheary at 3.8M or whatever he gets is worth way more than him, with us having the need and making the call? I bet Vegas says no.

Nope, that's when they were expecting Dumba or Scandella to get carted away.

And yes, I think a potential 1st line winger is worth way more than a 3C. If Vegas or any other trade partner disagrees, I'm happy to trade them something else, or trade with someone who does.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
If Hornqvist is asking too much, i'd target Gallagher who's set at 3.7 million for 5 more years and is a better player than Hornqvist when healthy. I'd try Sheary + for Byron(Good Sheary replacement, also at 1.1 mil for 2 more years) and Gallagher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany