Salary Cap: Salary Cap Summer Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Zetterberg still has 4 years on his deal. Otherwise, I'd be all about going after him. Perfect complement to 87/71 up the middle.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I'm interested to see what can be pried out of Detroit now, they are 3M+ over the cap.

Does that include Johan Franzen's contract?

Yes. They have ~900k in space to sign AA. Franzen goes onto LTIR and that's what gives them the 900k. And while sure they have 9D signed, they still need to fill out the forward group as they only have 10 forwards (not counting JF) signed. So figure most of whatever they get from sending 2D to the minors will go to their 12/13th F.

Detroit would be a prime candidate to see about getting someone.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Tomas Tatar 4 year at 5.3 mil AAV

Does this have any knock on effect in relation to the Sheary Arbitration?

Tatar has 2 years more NHL experience so is more of a proven commodity but they are of a similar age.

Age means very little. Arbitration can only take into account contracts that only take up RFA years. Which means 1) Tatar's contract is irrelevant and 2) that due to all RFA year only contracts, that age is mostly if not entirely irrelevant. It's all about what they've done at the NHL level.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
That is such a horrible contract. Im in the minority but i would have liked to see DP play for 20 to 30 games IN A ROW before writing him off. The fact that hes had moments when hes played well indicates it is mental with him and maybe assuring him he can work out his mistakes ( like young D Man get to usually do) will allow him the confidence to find his game at the NHL level. If he sucks after that long stretch of games you know for sure he is a bust. But if he plays well and you keep him he can either be kept or traded with his rising value. Isnt that at least worth a try?

Not sure if all of your post was meant for me. I am in favour of giving Pouliot an extended look for the reasons you listed.

In regard to Zetterbergs contract, the last 3 years make it easy to move to a budget team. 6 mil cap hit at only 1 mil actual salary. Zetterberg also stills performs at a high level. No idea if he is availible or what he would cost.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Simon Despres is at a point where the only thing he's getting from anyone is a camp invite. Probably a two-way deal where he might need to start in the A to demonstrate that he's durable enough to put some games together and prove he's not lost too much to be of use. Think Paul Ranger.

I love Zetterberg, but if the Wings moved him, you're looking at a massive bidding war, unless Holland did him a solid and traded him to a particular team he wanted to go. Honestly, I imagine Z would fetch better return than Duchene would.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I wouldn't hate it but here's the issue for me - I highly doubt he usurps anyone in the current line up...which means he's either a HS or in the AHL. If he does well enough in the AHL to get a call up, he'd likely get claimed.

Despres would be an insurance policy, if healthy. He would permit; if JR was so inclined to move Maatta. Even if that isn't the play; Despres at 6' 4 could slot into the bottom pair, if Cole leaves as an UFA following next year.

Despres in his condition does not make Maatta movable at all. Not one bit.

Maatta. And even then I'd probably say no if I'm Detroit. AA has some silly upside.

Lol, no. Look, AA is good but he's not worth Maatta. Not even close.

Simon Despres is at a point where the only thing he's getting from anyone is a camp invite. Probably a two-way deal where he might need to start in the A to demonstrate that he's durable enough to put some games together and prove he's not lost too much to be of use. Think Paul Ranger.

Agreed.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

I love Zetterberg, but if the Wings moved him, you're looking at a massive bidding war, unless Holland did him a solid and traded him to a particular team he wanted to go. Honestly, I imagine Z would fetch better return than Duchene would.

I like Zetterberg but I don't see many teams giving up more than they would for Duchene, it'd have to be a desperate team trying to get over the top against us, in that scenario only do I see it being the case. He would still fetch a pretty damn good return though, he's 36yrs old, I don't know if he plays out his contract though. Also, he's 37 before the season starts.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Pretty sure i remember reading Wings fans saying they can't trade Zetterberg without having to deal with cap penaltys.
Despres is done at hockey, he should just find something else.
Would love AA, he would be awesome here! but we got nothing to offer.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
That is because Jeff Blashill is a moron.

Yup, it's also why I swoop in and scoop up Sheahan while his value is low and that idiot has misused him. He's going to get better when a better coach gets in there. I'd rather he did that with us.

He's the guy I target without losing a lot of assets.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Maatta. And even then I'd probably say no if I'm Detroit. AA has some silly upside.

There's no way AA has done even remotely enough to acquire Maatta. He was on pace for 23g/37pts. Nice - especially from a rookie, but far from amazing, and certainly not worth a young top 4D.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

Zero chance of that happening - even if he waived his NMC for any team. Duchene's age will still trump whatever difference in skill there is between him and Z.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
There's no way AA has done even remotely enough to acquire Maatta. He was on pace for 23g/37pts. Nice - especially from a rookie, but far from amazing, and certainly not worth a young top 4D.

Not saying it's fair value for us, but that's what I'm asking for if I'm the Wings and have needed a longterm solution for my top 4 for years.

AA would be bonkers with this team. I'd think about it.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I'm surprised they haven't moved Zetterberg yet, I mean they should be focusing on the young guys like Larkin, Tatar, Mantha, etc.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010

He's turning 37 and has 4 years on his deal. I don't see him being a 6 mil player at 40. Plays the game too hard, too many miles and against the best players in the game every night.

Right now? He's a better overall player than Duchene, sure.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Zero chance of that happening - even if he waived his NMC for any team. Duchene's age will still trump whatever difference in skill there is between him and Z.

I'd say Duchene's value is lessened by only having two years and Z's is because he has too many at too old of an age.

I'd agree that Duchene is more likely to return a high end young asset. You at least have him in his prime and the chance to extend him. Z is done in the near future.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Not saying it's fair value for us, but that's what I'm asking for if I'm the Wings and have needed a longterm solution for my top 4 for years.

AA would be bonkers with this team. I'd think about it.

For Maatta, I would want Svechnikov, AA, and Sheahan for him. I would even throw in a pick to see if they'd throw in Jensen.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
AA and Rust would be quite the winger duo for line 3. Would need a really fast 3C to compliment them.

Funny enough, AA & Rusty can play C, I think both were drafted as C's as well, so if one can, you can throw together Hagelin-AA/Rust-AA/Rust.

Try keeping up with that line. But yeah, Haula would be immense there, quick kid.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Funny enough, AA & Rusty can play C, I think both were drafted as C's as well, so if one can, you can throw together Hagelin-AA/Rust-AA/Rust.

Try keeping up with that line. But yeah, Haula would be immense there, quick kid.

Just means when the 3C gets kicked out a C can replace him.:laugh: I'm down for an AA-Haula-Rust 3rd line...speed for days! Then keep Hagelin-Malkin-Kessel as our 2nd line and G-Crosby-Hornqvist/Sheary.

Pens would have amazing AMAZING speed. Would catch teams flat footed many times. Sheary would probably get traded for a top 4 D though to replace Maatta.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
No way Detroit trades their Captian right after moving into a new arena. Really bad optics.

Still rather have Staal than Duchene. But neither looks remotely possible.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
For Maatta, I would want Svechnikov, AA, and Sheahan for him. I would even throw in a pick to see if they'd throw in Jensen.

If we could get Jensen, Sheahan and one of AA/Svech that would be amazing and a huge win for us. Which is why I doubt it would happen.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
If we could get Jensen, Sheahan and one of AA/Svech that would be amazing and a huge win for us. Which is why I doubt it would happen.

First time missing the playoffs, they were desperate enough to sign Daley to a 3yr deal, I think Holland is looking to make it back to the playoffs.

I mean JR would have to add a small sweetener with Maatta, likely Kuhnhackl + Maatta + 4th (later pick).

What people should be hoping for if they want Duchene is for Zadorov to sign in the KHL, that would make Sakic desperate, Zads was probably his best player last year, losing him and that is a MAJOR hit to his defense, he might get desperate and the idea of Maatta to stabilize whatever he has and signs a guy for 1yr just to make sure they aren't embarrassed further, who knows.

Personally, I don't want Duchene, we lose Maatta and our defense gets worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad