Salary Cap: Salary Cap Summer Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackAndGold87

Jul 13, 2017
Starting to think William Karlsson would be a good addition as a 3C. He's young and has room to grow.

Would a 2nd, plus 1 prospect get it done?

BlackAndGold87

Jul 13, 2017
Penguins Have $2MM To Spend On Third Line Center

After losing Nick Bonino to Nashville in free agency, the Penguins have a vacancy to fill at their third line center position. In a reader chat, Sam Werner of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette noted that the team has only earmarked roughly $2MM towards filling that spot which will limit their options.

While the Pens have more than $10MM in cap space at the moment, most of that will be spent when they reach new deals with winger Conor Sheary and defenseman Brian Dumoulin, both of whom are expected to go through arbitration.

The remaining UFA market is largely weak down the middle aside from Mike Fisher (who isn’t expected to leave Nashville if he returns for another season). As things stand, Matt Cullen, Pittsburgh’s fourth line pivot this past season, is one of the more prominent names available. Accordingly, that spot is likely going to be filled via the trade market but it’s reasonable to expect that nothing much will happen on that front until they get their remaining restricted free agents re-signed first.

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2017/07/metropolitan-pittsburghs-quenneville.html

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Ideally he's looking to for that #2 or #1 LD depending on what he gets for Duchene so his defense can be:

Zadorov/New Guy, Johnson
New Guy/Zadorov, Barrie
Barberio, UFA - Watch it be Franson.

I mean, Maatta definitely would look like a huge help to that defense, hell Ruhwedel would as well, but I don't know if I want to pay up for Duchene. The longer I think about it, the less I am on board with the idea of Duchene and what we'd see this team giving up.

That's sadly what I was trying to say after the shot at Sakic. :laugh:

I've been in the don't traded a D for an F camp for a long time. I wasn't comfortable with it before Letang's latest injury and now I'm firmly against it.

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
That's sadly what I was trying to say after the shot at Sakic. :laugh:

I've been in the don't traded a D for an F camp for a long time. I wasn't comfortable with it before Letang's latest injury and now I'm firmly against it.

It's ok to trade a D for the right F then make a trade after to replace that D if at the end the teams better. Getting that D replacement right now is much harder since the decent FA's are gone.

Saints11

Jan 24, 2012
Pittsburgh
This maybe a little "Blackhawkish", but, I would offer Simon Despres at least a PTO; or maybe a contract, providing he has all his medical clearances. I thought he did a good job in SoCal prior to the injuries. Again, Despres offers size at 6'4; and offers an experience depth d-man, if healthy.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
I've developed a strategy for reading this thread.

1. Open thread
2. Read until I see the word Duchene
3. Close thread.

:laugh:

BlackAndGold87

Jul 13, 2017
Probably not. But he would make a great addition.

JC, if that is unlikely then I don't have a good feeling that the team will find a solid 3C.

There is some belief that Cullen coming back fills the 3C spot, and Imo can not happen.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
JC, if that is unlikely then I don't have a good feeling that the team will find a solid 3C.

There is some belief that Cullen coming back fills the 3C spot, and Imo can not happen.

Cullen might be coming back (I'm not holding my breath, but who knows), but if he does, it wouldn't be to fill the #3 spot, but the #4 spot.

BlackAndGold87

Jul 13, 2017
Cullen might be coming back (I'm not holding my breath, but who knows), but if he does, it wouldn't be to fill the #3 spot, but the #4 spot.

I agree he would be, but some believe(Not for a sec do I believe GMJR thinks this, mostly social media talk) he could handle the 3C role, and no way do I believe that would be a good idea. One injury and he's on the 2nd line if that was the case.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
To spend more money on a 3C and if we were able to bring in a guy like Zadorov, Hagelin and Sheary would both be traded.

froods

I blame Paul Martin and Jack Johnson
Aug 28, 2009
Fort Erie, ON
To spend more money on a 3C and if we were able to bring in a guy like Zadorov, Hagelin and Sheary would both be traded.

At what point are you messing with the chemistry of a back to back Stanley Cup champion team? We have already lost several guys, although I would say somewhat positive attrition, but it is still a big change to the locker room. I think they need to be careful of how far they can push that.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
At what point are you messing with the chemistry of a back to back Stanley Cup champion team? We have already lost several guys, although I would say somewhat positive attrition, but it is still a big change to the locker room. I think they need to be careful of how far they can push that.

There is indeed a fine line between not messing with chemistry and complacency.

I felt the pens didn't do enough last off season. It proved to me an unfounded opinion but it was a pretty good call at the time.

This year they have already made a few changes, as was said, by regular attrition.

The problem is that they aren't making changes for the sake of changes. They NEED a 3c and def won't win with rowney there (or anyone else in house). He'd be an "ok" 4c, if Cullen doesn't come back. But the 3c spot is vital to success. So if that means moving out hags to get one, you do it. Sheary .. depends on the return on the 3c

All that said, I agree with your overall point. It's a delicate balance.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I was just thinking of a few teams who would need Penguin players and I see San Jose as really wanted a guy like Hags. I was looking over their salary cap/line up after listening to a reporter talk about how the team will look this year. They have cap space and the player described as a need to get for SJ was Hags perfectly.

So if a Center may come available from that squad, I think we make solid hockey trade partners.

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
There is indeed a fine line between not messing with chemistry and complacency.

I felt the pens didn't do enough last off season. It proved to me an unfounded opinion but it was a pretty good call at the time.

This year they have already made a few changes, as was said, by regular attrition.

The problem is that they aren't making changes for the sake of changes. They NEED a 3c and def won't win with rowney there (or anyone else in house). He'd be an "ok" 4c, if Cullen doesn't come back. But the 3c spot is vital to success. So if that means moving out hags to get one, you do it. Sheary .. depends on the return on the 3c

All that said, I agree with your overall point. It's a delicate balance.

Hagelin's trade value won't bring back a 3C. Hags will provide more value to us than what he'd bring back in a trade.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
I still only move hags if we need to. No sense in dumping him just to do it. He's basically what our identity is. He'll rebound this year and he's big on the pk...we lost a few of those in FA this year already.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I still only move hags if we need to. No sense in dumping him just to do it. He's basically what our identity is. He'll rebound this year and he's big on the pk...we lost a few of those in FA this year already.

10000% agree and have stated that many times. Unless the right hockey trade is there. Because realistically we don't 100% have the luxury of paying 4M to a bottom 6 winger like Hags. Right now we do, but if we wanted to bolster a certain position or re-sign someone like Horny, we may not have that luxury.

Similar to MAF last year. It worked out perfectly in a sense that we ended up with cap space due to unfortunate injuries to keep the luxury of having two #1 goalies. But it was a luxury nonetheless that wasn't a realistic long term possibility. Similar to Hags @ 4m but not playing in a top 6 role.

Has to be a hockey trade, though.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
The Pittsburgh Penguins still don’t have a third line center after Nick Bonino went to Nashville, but they still have plenty of time during this Penguins off-season. Penguins general manager Jim Rutherford said he’s going to keep being patient with this as he wants to make a good trade, not just a panic one. There are some good options out there for their third line center role so let’s take a look at a few of them.

http://lastwordonhockey.com/2017/07/21/pittsburgh-penguins-targets-third-line-center/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad