Salary Cap: Salary Cap Summer Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
I still only move hags if we need to. No sense in dumping him just to do it. He's basically what our identity is. He'll rebound this year and he's big on the pk...we lost a few of those in FA this year already.

I don't think he needs to rebound that much he was good last season. His goals were down because of a terrible shooting %. If that's normalised his production is similar to his norm. The rest of his game was still there.

We are a top 9 scoring line team and until our best 6 wingers cost too much he'll stay.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Oh I'm not saying we dump hags. I'm saying of all the players we CAN move to get a 3c, I start with him before sheary (since his name has been brought up the most often).

Maybe hags rebounds. Maybe he doesn't. But for 4mil and his production, I throw a pic or two .. Maybe retain 750k for 2 years.

Going on the earlier assumption that the pens only have 2mil for a 3c, moving hags brings it to 6mil, 5.25 if we retain a bit.

I'd rather go that way than move sheary. If no one wants hags, then sure, move on down the list of players and see what is feasible.

Trade forum mentioned DO for soderberg. Maybe there is something there. Karlsson would be nice but doubt he's available. Sure Duchene would be nice but I don't think we need to go that high level.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
This maybe a little "Blackhawkish", but, I would offer Simon Despres at least a PTO; or maybe a contract, providing he has all his medical clearances. I thought he did a good job in SoCal prior to the injuries. Again, Despres offers size at 6'4; and offers an experience depth d-man, if healthy.

I wouldn't hate it but here's the issue for me - I highly doubt he usurps anyone in the current line up...which means he's either a HS or in the AHL. If he does well enough in the AHL to get a call up, he'd likely get claimed.

The Pittsburgh Penguins still don’t have a third line center after Nick Bonino went to Nashville, but they still have plenty of time during this Penguins off-season. Penguins general manager Jim Rutherford said he’s going to keep being patient with this as he wants to make a good trade, not just a panic one. There are some good options out there for their third line center role so let’s take a look at a few of them.

http://lastwordonhockey.com/2017/07/21/pittsburgh-penguins-targets-third-line-center/

If Winnipeg wants to push for a playoff slot, why would they trade Little? Bozak makes sense but only if Toronto is willing to do a Hagelin-Bozak swap which I don't see as likely. AA makes a bit of sense considering Detroits cap structure and space. However, if he does become available, he'll be a hot commodity and one that I think we can get outbid for. I do however condone the idea of him. He'd be a great fit here.

I don't think he needs to rebound that much he was good last season. His goals were down because of a terrible shooting %. If that's normalised his production is similar to his norm. The rest of his game was still there.

We are a top 9 scoring line team and until our best 6 wingers cost too much he'll stay.

He suffered injuries too that hampered his speed. One thing I really want to see this year is the wings pressure the points with speed more and trying to block fewer shots. We were dropping like flies it seemed when blocking shot after shot after shot. At some point there has got to be some player health management to look at. Blocking shots are nice but damn is it hard on the body.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
If JR's 2m'ish thing is really true, he's probably not even thinking about moving a Hags or Sheary but he can move a Pouliot and/or a Kuhnackl/Wilson and have a touch more to spend on a 3C. Up to 3.5'ishM if Dumo/Sheary's $ come in reasonably.

Also it does appear Dumo+Sheary can settle on a contract even after the hearing. From Colligan's mock Dumo case:

But a settlement and contract can be made even after the hearing.

https://www.pensburgh.com/2017/7/21/15987408/brian-dumoulin-arbitration-2017-penguins-contracts

So how it goes is:

-both sides get each others briefs from around 2 days out of the hearing
-if no settlement, hearing goes forward
-post-hearing theres 48 hrs til judgment and team/player can settle during that as well

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

Hags was bounced up and down the line up as well. That can't be easy for a player to produce when he doesn't know which line he's on and what he will need to bring on that line.

Saints11

Jan 24, 2012
Pittsburgh
I wouldn't hate it but here's the issue for me - I highly doubt he usurps anyone in the current line up...which means he's either a HS or in the AHL. If he does well enough in the AHL to get a call up, he'd likely get claimed.

Despres would be an insurance policy, if healthy. He would permit; if JR was so inclined to move Maatta. Even if that isn't the play; Despres at 6' 4 could slot into the bottom pair, if Cole leaves as an UFA following next year.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
If JR's 2m'ish thing is really true, he's probably not even thinking about moving a Hags or Sheary but he can move a Pouliot and/or a Kuhnackl/Wilson and have a touch more to spend on a 3C. Up to 3.5'ishM if Dumo/Sheary's $ come in reasonably.

Also it does appear Dumo+Sheary can settle on a contract even after the hearing. From Colligan's mock Dumo case:

https://www.pensburgh.com/2017/7/21/15987408/brian-dumoulin-arbitration-2017-penguins-contracts

So how it goes is:

-both sides get each others briefs from around 2 days out of the hearing
-if no settlement, hearing goes forward
-post-hearing theres 48 hrs til judgment and team/player can settle during that as well

Well that's cool. Wednesday next week we should be good to go.

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
Yesterday Friedman posted about Arvidsson and his hearing is tomorrow so I presume all papers are filed 48 hours in advance of the hearing.

davemess

Apr 9, 2003
Scotland
Tomas Tatar 4 year at 5.3 mil AAV

Does this have any knock on effect in relation to the Sheary Arbitration?

Tatar has 2 years more NHL experience so is more of a proven commodity but they are of a similar age.‎

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Zetterberg has 4 years left at just over a 6 mil cap hit. In year 2 his salary drops to 3.5mil and then years 3 and 4 his salary is 1mil. According to cap friendly, his contract does not contain any kind of NTC.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Does that include Johan Franzen's contract?

Looking over CapFriendly's Red Wings page, they are still including Franzen's 3.95M, and they still have 9 defensemen listed on the roster. So that's around 5M (or more) in cap space that will be freed up for the start of the season between LTIR and sending players down.

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
Looking over CapFriendly's Red Wings page, they are still including Franzen's 3.95M, and they still have 9 defensemen listed on the roster. So that's around 5M (or more) in cap space that will be freed up for the start of the season between LTIR and sending players down.

Enough to sign AA and Russo?

JBose7

Jun 7, 2013
Zetterberg has 4 years left at just over a 6 mil cap hit. In year 2 his salary drops to 3.5mil and then years 3 and 4 his salary is 1mil. According to cap friendly, his contract does not contain any kind of NTC.

That is such a horrible contract. Im in the minority but i would have liked to see DP play for 20 to 30 games IN A ROW before writing him off. The fact that hes had moments when hes played well indicates it is mental with him and maybe assuring him he can work out his mistakes ( like young D Man get to usually do) will allow him the confidence to find his game at the NHL level. If he sucks after that long stretch of games you know for sure he is a bust. But if he plays well and you keep him he can either be kept or traded with his rising value. Isnt that at least worth a try?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

If Winnipeg wants to push for a playoff slot, why would they trade Little? Bozak makes sense but only if Toronto is willing to do a Hagelin-Bozak swap which I don't see as likely. AA makes a bit of sense considering Detroits cap structure and space. However, if he does become available, he'll be a hot commodity and one that I think we can get outbid for. I do however condone the idea of him. He'd be a great fit here.

He suffered injuries too that hampered his speed. One thing I really want to see this year is the wings pressure the points with speed more and trying to block fewer shots. We were dropping like flies it seemed when blocking shot after shot after shot. At some point there has got to be some player health management to look at. Blocking shots are nice but damn is it hard on the body.

Despres would only get claimed if after his call up he was sent back down after not performing well and really who would claim him? Shero? Shero is an idiot, he claims all of our crap because he's just that big of an idiot.

I'd definitely bring Despres in on a PTO, if he does well, sign him to a 2-way contract for 1yr, let him spend time in WBS to get his legs back and if he does regain his form and his head stuff is not hindering him, we have a solid option in Elmer back again.

Although I don't know what the narrative was for why he was moved in the first place, was it because of Guerin?

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
2 2nds doesn't look an unusual price for a 3C - 2nd and prospect is in the right price point there.

Most of the players who were traded for that (Eller/Shaw immediately come to mind) were moved for cap reasons though.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
The Tatar contract makes him pretty immoveable now compared to a 1yr deal so if they do look to unload cash, it's likely Sheahan and/or Glenndening and/or Green.
Guys like Z and Helm, Holland just has that PIT/Shero thing where he can't let go of old key cogs so i don't see them going anywhere.
I'd be very surprised if they looked to move AA but hey, some GM's are terrible at their jobs so give him a call.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad