Salary Cap: Salary Cap Summer Part 2 | The Hunt for 3C Continued

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Johnston's the best coach because he was able to bring us an identity and culture change by being so bad. :laugh: Seriously... sometimes things need to get really bad to reach the potential they can. The Pens story, and it's well documented in the 50th anniversary, is one of the coolest in all of sports. The ups/downs. All worth it.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Strange, Mike Johnstons name has the same effect on me :laugh:

I will always appreciate Mike Johnston's performance as coach of the Pens. If he had been any worse, he'd have been fired sooner and we'd have missed out on Sullivan. If he had been any better, he'd have kept the job longer and we'd have missed out on Sullivan. He was just bad enough to get canned at the perfect time.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
He reminded me a lot more of Ron Francis than a dominant offensive player. Sid and Geno are closer to Jagr level IMO.

Initially, he was dominant, but after roughly the time Mario retired he was more like a Bergeron, but, imo, lazier.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I will always appreciate Mike Johnston's performance as coach of the Pens. If he had been any worse, he'd have been fired sooner and we'd have missed out on Sullivan. If he had been any better, he'd have kept the job longer and we'd have missed out on Sullivan. He was just bad enough to get canned at the perfect time.

According to HFBoards voting section we have the best coach in the NHL.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Would anyone entertain the idea of a 1st for Haula?

Young, reasonably skilled, good defensively, excellent on faceoffs, low cap hit, etc.

The stats he puts up with 10-12 mins of ice time are pretty solid, IMO.

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
According to HFBoards voting section we have the best coach in the NHL.

Wouldn't matter if there was a "better" coach out there. Sully is the best coach for us.

Is there a coach in the history of the NHL you'd swap Sully for right now? The answer should be no. Not that I'm saying he's the best ever but he's the best for right now.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

Mike Johnston. The true hero of the Pens.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Remember when the WB/S head coaching job seemingly was about to go to Todd Nelson? A fine coach, but thank goodness he didn't get it.

Pengu

Jun 24, 2016
Mike Johnston. The true hero of the Pens.

Just absolutely disgusted by how awful he was as a coach. Harsh but true.
Weak, uninspiring, flat and bland. 0 credit on him that we got Sullivan. I will put that down to coincidence and nothing else.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Just absolutely disgusted by how awful he was as a coach. Harsh but true.
Weak, uninspiring, flat and bland. 0 credit on him that we got Sullivan. I will put that down to coincidence and nothing else.

Please, Johnston was playing 37th dimensional extragalactic mahjong. He foretold that Sullivan was the savior of the Pens and set the gears in motion that would prepare us for his arrival. You call it a coincidence only because you can't see the bigger picture. That's the true genius of Johnston's plan. When you do things right, people won't be sure that you've done anything at all.

Mike_Johnston_Penguins_Fired.jpg

Look at that stoic determination. People said he was emotionless, but that's wrong. He simply knew what was to come.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Many of the NHL players train together in the offseason - especially if they're renting ice - they push each other. Besides... many of these guys are friends off the ice and away from the game - even if they do play for Philly or whomever.

Letang is the guy that beat the crap out of Voracek when he was with the Jackets.

PittPen

Oct 1, 2010
That wasn't where I was going with that - as I too would trade Sheary before Rust. It was more so just an observation that "Sheary can't play with anyone but Crosby" is probably a very premature statement.

It may be a premature statement, but at this point, is it not an observation that would give other GMs some pause? Especially at a 3-4 mil cap hit? Take all of the negatives ("no impact when not scoring, underwhelming playoff performer"...) and I just don't see how it's not a huge gamble to anyone else at that cap hit.

It took a "name" player in Brandon Sutter to get Nick Bonino. Is Sheary even close to enough to get a quality 3C?

Sheary just might be more valuable to this team than as a trade chip...at least at this point.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I definitely would like to see Sheary on another line, I think him with Rust on the 3rd line would be a good match, it just depends on who the 3C is, hopefully a smart playmaker type of guy that just has to find those two streaking down the wings.

Obviously keeping Shears is a good thing because it adds depth, etc. But it does worry me if he signs a long term deal and he can't perform off of the 1st line, what do you do then?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
It may be a premature statement, but at this point, is it not an observation that would give other GMs some pause? Especially at a 3-4 mil cap hit? Take all of the negatives ("no impact when not scoring, underwhelming playoff performer"...) and I just don't see how it's not a huge gamble to anyone else at that cap hit.

It took a "name" player in Brandon Sutter to get Nick Bonino. Is Sheary even close to enough to get a quality 3C?

Sheary just might be more valuable to this team than as a trade chip...at least at this point.

He's an undrafted player that played most of his minutes with Crosby, he has to do it again next year split on other lines and producing well to be worth even more to the team as a trade chip. Which is why I am ok with a stop gap 3C and then revisit it next year when there are other options, JR doesn't need to go all in on another 3C when he can get a guy on a 1yr deal that wants to prove he is worth more on his next contract on the open market.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Letang is the guy that beat the crap out of Voracek when he was with the Jackets.

And? Do you think either hold some long term grudge from an event that happened seven or eight years ago? This wasn't some stupidly dirty hit that knocked a player out for months... it was a fight. They happen from time to time.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
And? Do you think either hold some long term grudge from an event that happened seven or eight years ago? This wasn't some stupidly dirty hit that knocked a player out for months... it was a fight. They happen from time to time.

It's just odd.

I mean do you expect Sid to work out off season with Giroux? And damn dude, it was just a thought, ornery as **** are we?

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

Some might see it as a gamble... however I think the bigger question most would have would be expectations when away from Crosby. Not because Sheary doesn't have some skill - he clearly does. But with so little history/track record to fall back on, is he really as good as what we saw this season? Who knows.

No, it took another center to acquire Bonino (both times he was traded). Of course Sheary might be more valuable to us then someone else. He's a small skilled winger with no track record and the only thing we'd be looking for is a center - and unfortunately for us, centers are more valuable then wingers. Meanwhile he's our 2nd or 3rd most skilled winger on a team that desperately needs skilled wingers to complement our centers.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
It's just odd.

I mean do you expect Sid to work out off season with Giroux? And damn dude, it was just a thought, ornery as **** are we?

Honestly it wouldn't surprise me if they did at some point.

Ornery? No, not really. I've been told that I write like I talk, and that some who do not know me take it the wrong way. :help: Trust me... when I'm being ornery - you'll know. :D

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Alot of NHL'ers do summer work outs at Adrenaline in Montreal with Jon Chaimberg.
I found it odd that Voracek is there, tho.
Guess he enjoys the training there.
Sprong's there too btw.

JBose7

Jun 7, 2013
This may be obvious but I find it troubling they havent drafted a center who could develop into a 3rd line center or 2nd line tweener since Staal. They really need to focus on drafting centers for the next 2 years in 18 and 19 cause there isn't a dynamic center anywhere to be found in the AHL or signed. Guentzel in theory could be that but apparently everyone has him playing wing for the next 6 years so that is troubling. It cant be that hard to draft a 3rd line center.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad