Salary Cap: Salary Cap Summer Part 2 | The Hunt for 3C Continued

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
This may be obvious but I find it troubling they havent drafted a center who could develop into a 3rd line center or 2nd line tweener since Staal. They really need to focus on drafting centers for the next 2 years in 18 and 19 cause there isn't a dynamic center anywhere to be found in the AHL or signed. Guentzel in theory could be that but apparently everyone has him playing wing for the next 6 years so that is troubling. It cant be that hard to draft a 3rd line center.

Linus Olund
Dominik Simon
Nikita Pavlychev
Troy Josephs
Jake Guentzel (Drafted as a C)
Teddy Blueger

Personally, Olund intrigues me quite a bit, he's 20yrs old, has "that" game in him and I really want to see how he does next year in the SHL before he comes over, which I feel he will after this next season.
Skilled two-way player that can be used on both special teams. Ölund has very good hockey sense and reads the game exceptionally well. Puck skills are fine and he has overall pretty good offensive skills. (EP 2017)
http://www.eliteprospects.com/playe...=146700&team=&year=&status=&leagueid=&season=

He had 15pts in 39 SHL games. A bit of a late bloomer.

JBose7

Jun 7, 2013
Linus Olund
Dominik Simon
Nikita Pavlychev
Troy Josephs
Jake Guentzel (Drafted as a C)
Teddy Blueger

Personally, Olund intrigues me quite a bit, he's 20yrs old, has "that" game in him and I really want to see how he does next year in the SHL before he comes over, which I feel he will after this next season.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/playe...=146700&team=&year=&status=&leagueid=&season=

He had 15pts in 39 SHL games. A bit of a late bloomer.
Thats a big jump from the SHL to a 2nd line center tweener. And I mentioned Guentzel not counting because it seems people object to him playing center ( I dont ) and I dont see any of those on that list has guys I would like to see play for Geno 20 games out of the year EVER. That is why I advocated for getting either Nuge or Duchene because when Sid or Geno get hurt ( they always do) having a REAL second line center really keeps the consistency in how you play.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Duchene's cost is just too much, it creates another huge hole while filling another and just for 2yrs at most unless Duchene suddenly wants to take a pay cut to stay - highly unlikely.

RNH - Oilers needed defense, now they have defense, their defense is actually very good right now even with the laughable Russell contract (I guess they had to replace the bad Ference one with another). Unless they suddenly had a ton of interest in Sheary and want a pick too (a 1st or whatever), I don't see them wanting to send us RNH. Otherwise, I am on board.

Funny enough, I think Sheary would look good with McDavid, because of his speed.

JBose7

Jun 7, 2013
Duchene's cost is just too much, it creates another huge hole while filling another and just for 2yrs at most unless Duchene suddenly wants to take a pay cut to stay - highly unlikely.

RNH - Oilers needed defense, now they have defense, their defense is actually very good right now even with the laughable Russell contract (I guess they had to replace the bad Ference one with another). Unless they suddenly had a ton of interest in Sheary and want a pick too (a 1st or whatever), I don't see them wanting to send us RNH. Otherwise, I am on board.

Funny enough, I think Sheary would look good with McDavid, because of his speed.

I actually think a Sheary + Cole would give us Nuge. The Oilers cant afford to give Nuge 6 million with them having Lucic on the books for 5 more years. Not having to retain is a major value in trades and getting rid of 6 million for a UFA and a 3.75 million a year winger who could skate with McDavid and or play with Draisaitl is huge. Id be more than willing to look into that

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I actually think a Sheary + Cole would give us Nuge. The Oilers cant afford to give Nuge 6 million with them having Lucic on the books for 5 more years. Not having to retain is a major value in trades and getting rid of 6 million for a UFA and a 3.75 million a year winger who could skate with McDavid and or play with Draisaitl is huge. Id be more than willing to look into that

Sekera
Klefbom
Larsson
Nurse
Benning
Russell

Where is Cole playing?

Like I said, the only thing of interest to the Oilers would be a guy like Sheary, their depth scoring is pretty bad, it's where they were struggling most and it's hilarious that the Oilers coaching staff can't figure out the fact that Draisaitl SHOULD have his own line, which means they can afford to move RNH for some scoring wingers and go with Juice as the 3C, etc.

If the Pens were to go after RNH, the Pens are likely not going to get the Oilers to retain, so is RNH worth taking on with his 6m cap hit? JR then better hope he gets Dumo signed to 3yrs at 3.5m/yr. That would leave JR around 1m and some change in cap space.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Someone say Johnson?

tumblr_nmmf017hLB1txyx4lo1_500.png

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
I didn't realize MJ turned 60 this year. The big 6-0. A belated happy birthday to a great Portland Winterhawk.

Saints11

Jan 24, 2012
Pittsburgh

Rather have Duchene than RNH. Duchene is better on face offs and I feel, better overall defensively.

Pengu

Jun 24, 2016
I agree, it's just that Duchene is gone after 2 years and that Sakic price is probably twice of what the oilers want for RNH. Apples and oranges.

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
I agree, it's just that Duchene is gone after 2 years and that Sakic price is probably twice of what the oilers want for RNH. Apples and oranges.

Not that we'll get him but it's not necessarily true that Duchene is gone after the contract is up. 2 years a lot can happen

JBose7

Jun 7, 2013
Why hasnt some offer sheeted Draisaitl? That stupid hockey gm code has to go. Then Edm would have to move Nuge. Real quick. I hate unwritten rules. Put the Oilers in cap hell already

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
Why hasnt some offer sheeted Draisaitl? That stupid hockey gm code has to go. Then Edm would have to move Nuge. Real quick. I hate unwritten rules. Put the Oilers in cap hell already

I don't think he's worth an offer sheet. It would need to be big to get him.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Because what goes around comes around disturbingly quickly. I'd rather not deal with an offer sheet for Murray thanks.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
This may be obvious but I find it troubling they havent drafted a center who could develop into a 3rd line center or 2nd line tweener since Staal. They really need to focus on drafting centers for the next 2 years in 18 and 19 cause there isn't a dynamic center anywhere to be found in the AHL or signed. Guentzel in theory could be that but apparently everyone has him playing wing for the next 6 years so that is troubling. It cant be that hard to draft a 3rd line center.

They've drafted a bunch of them - including Sundqvist, Blueger, Guentzel, Byron, Josephs and Simon. It's just that most havent' panned out.

Wait... on one hand you're saying we've failed at it over the last decade, and on the other you're saying it "can't be that hard" ? Which is it... either it's easy to fill this position, or it's not. :laugh:

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Thats a big jump from the SHL to a 2nd line center tweener. And I mentioned Guentzel not counting because it seems people object to him playing center ( I dont ) and I dont see any of those on that list has guys I would like to see play for Geno 20 games out of the year EVER. That is why I advocated for getting either Nuge or Duchene because when Sid or Geno get hurt ( they always do) having a REAL second line center really keeps the consistency in how you play.

:facepalm:

All you can do is draft them and develop them. If their game doesn't translate to being an NHL center, but they played center as a kid, there's not too much you can do but roll with it.

Thats nice. Last summer (or the summer before - I can't remember now), Rust was still only seen as a 4th liner by most on here.

Advocate getting RNH or Duchene all you want... doesn't make it any more realistic or likely to happen. Nor does it change the fact that we do not need that caliber of center here. Would be amazing on many different levels, but it's far from a need.

Might want to think a LOT harder. No one is trading a skilled #2C for Sheary and Cole. No one. Sheary has had 1 year of NHL success and two playoffs with some red flags. He's young, going to arbitration and is 2 years away from FA. Cole is nice, but he's at best a lower end #4D and he's 1 year away from FA. Oh, also he wouldn't even fit in Edmonton's top 4/5.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

1) You're aware that Drai would actually have to be interested in signing an OS right? Some other GM can't just go and be like here we're doing this.
2) Anything that someone would reasonably offer him, Edmonton would just match. So unless you're going to pay him 11m to be your star center (and give up 4x1st's in the process), why bother?
3) GMs don't make moves to **** other teams over... they make moves to make their own team better. When you start intentionally ****ing another team over, you're shooting yourself in the foot for any future moves you want to make.

Blynasty

Jun 14, 2017
I feel like there is a nice package to put together with Jarry, Pouliot, Maatta, and our 1st round pick but I feel like the value of each of those could not be any worse right now. Should GM JR just play the waiting game for now and see if any of these guys gain value by the trade deadline?

rintinw

Oct 9, 2014
You mean a skilled smart player who can shoot, pass, make plays with the puck, and doesn't need/want to hang onto the puck much? Shocking. :sarcasm:

It's probably the same reason why Guentzel and Malkin seemed (in limited TOI) to work well. Because Guentzel can do many of the same things as JJ did, but doesn't need the puck the same way Kessel likes it.

I'd almost be tempted to play with this depending on who the #3C is (below). I know it's taboo to move Guentzel off Crosby's wing, but if Sheary and Malkin don't work (and I'm not sure we've seen enough of that to say either way - although stylistically you wonder), then it's certainly something I'd try at some point just to see how things go.

Sheary - Crosby - Hornqvist
Guentzel - Malkin - Rust
Hagelin - XXXXX - Kessel

I would add a little fuel to that:
Guentzel-Malkin-Hornqvist were a line for a stretch of 5 games in mid january and went 6 - 1 (Malkin 4 Pts, Guentzel & Hornqvist 3) at ES with just 55 minutes of time together. But if I rememeber correctly there were complaints that Malkin ignored Guentzel on ice (wonder what would their numbers look like if he didn't :laugh:). Also it was only the second line combination with both Malkin AND Hornqvist that wasn't utter failure (Comeau-Malkin-Hornqvist from 2014-15 is the other one).

As for Malkin with Guentzel or Sheary there is not enough information although it may work (3.75 PT60 in 32 min /w Sheary, 4.25 PT60 in 127 min /w Guentzel).

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Sekera
Klefbom
Larsson
Nurse
Benning
Russell

Where is Cole playing?

Sekera is going to miss at least the first half of 2017-18, so penciling him into their lineup is a paper move at this point. He is coming back from a torn ACL.

Cole would be a perfect short-term addition for them, actually.

Rather have Duchene than RNH. Duchene is better on face offs and I feel, better overall defensively.

And offensively.

I don't think there is much question that Nugent-Hopkins is the better center. Duchene is a more dangerous scorer when playing right wing. And he is a better face-off man, but not a better center.

I'd much rather have RNH, considering trade cost and also the fit at third-line center for us.

If we acquired Duchene, he would wind up on Crosby's right wing within the first month of his start as a Penguin.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Sekera is going to miss at least the first half of 2017-18, so penciling him into their lineup is a paper move at this point. He is coming back from a torn ACL.

Cole would be a perfect short-term addition for them, actually.

So Edmonton should give up RNH for someone who (as part of the big return) would be a "short term addition for them" ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad