Salary Cap: Salary Cap + Roster Building | Well, now what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Rasmus Andersson. Big RHD. There has been some articles from Pens and Flames writers about something around Sprong for Andersson.

Rasmus Andersson at eliteprospects.com
Maybe in the off season the Flames would have done it, but not now. The Flames have tons of forward depth on the wing now, and are having problems finding minutes for everyone. Also, Andersson has been given minutes and responsibilities the last few games and ran with it. He was playing on the top pairing with Gio, against the Rangers, because Brodie has really crapped the bed to start the season.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
JJ is a high impact hockey player. He's on the ice for a lot of goals for and against. I suppose that's better than sucking out loud and bleeding goals against while not being able to contribute offensively.

But JJ cannot be classified as having been good. Just have to hope his defensive lapses can be reigned in and in the important spring games his offense hits another level like it has in the past.

As for Sprong. Sullivan wants him to play a low risk game and getting shots on net. He's not good enough to warrant preferential treatment over proven top 9 NHL players. And he has yet to show his shot is dangerous this season. So why screw Rust over by moving him to LW?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Does anyone want to start placing bets on what veteran 3rd line LWer Sprong gets traded for? I'll place my bet on Sprong going to Edmonton for a rental Reider or to Ottawa for Boedker, although I think Boedker may even be asking for too much.

As a more serious comment, I think Boedker may not be a bad target for the 3rd line LW spot if that spot continues to present problems. With his salary retention, Boedker at $3 million really isn't that bad. The sad thing is that I could totally see Sprong+ for Boedker being a move that this team makes, just like the Despres for Lovejoy trade.

Last edited:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Does anyone want to start placing bets on what veteran 3rd line LWer Sprong gets traded for? I'll place my bet on Sprong going to Edmonton for a rental Reider or to Ottawa for Boedker, although I think Boedker may even be asking for too much.

As a more serious comment, I think Boedker may not be a bad target for the 3rd line LW spot if that spot continues to present problems. With his salary retention, Boedker at $3 million really isn't that bad.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see them get Boedker, but he’s terrible.

Reactions: billybudd

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I wouldn’t be surprised to see them get Boedker, but he’s terrible.

He at least brings speed and has produced in the playoffs in the past, which is something you can't say about Simon :dunno:

Boedker seems to be the kind of player who isn't good on good teams but puts up good numbers on bad teams. He'd probably be a lesser version of Sheary here, but that may be all you need on the 3rd line with Brassard and Rust. This isn't me advocating for him, it's more so a move I could see the team making. They think they're missing Sheary, and they spot Boedker as a potential Sheary replacement on a bad team that would love to trade him.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Thanks. Saved me the long post I was about to type up.

I am actually curious, what makes Boedker so terrible? His possession stats seem crappy, but he has produced pretty well recently outside of 2016-2017.

Lesser version of Sheary wouldn’t play in the league. Boedker can actually stay upright. I don’t want him on our team by the way.

You are aware Sheary has scored goals at a top line rate per 60 minutes in each of the last 2 years, right? His goals/60 last season was 1.0, Kessel in his 3 full seasons in Pittsburgh has been at a 1.1, 0.8 and a 1.1.

A lesser version of Sheary is a guy that produces like an actual 3rd liner and basically only brings speed to the table. Boedker may very well be exactly that.

Last edited:
Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

As a more serious comment, I think Boedker may not be a bad target for the 3rd line LW spot if that spot continues to present problems. With his salary retention, Boedker at $3 million really isn't that bad. The sad thing is that I could totally see Sprong+ for Boedker being a move that this team makes, just like the Despres for Lovejoy trade.

If they're getting someone from Ottawa, I'd hope it's someone like Dzingel. Dude can skate, is solid defensively, and can score goals in the dirty areas.

The problem with Sullivan's usage of Sprong is he's not much value to the Pens playing in a role he's not suited to, but he's got no value around the league as an unproven player in order to yield something good. So it's almost better to just keep him and hope something clicks in his 5 minutes per game.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
If they're getting someone from Ottawa, I'd hope it's someone like Dzingel. Dude can skate, is solid defensively, and can score goals in the dirty areas.

The problem with Sullivan's usage of Sprong is he's not much value to the Pens playing in a role he's not suited to, but he's got no value around the league as an unproven player in order to yield something good. So it's almost better to just keep him and hope something clicks in his 5 minutes per game.

Dzingel would be a good pick up.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I like Dzingel too, but my concern with Dzingel is that he's going to end up playing RW with Crosby. I don't want them to spend serious assets to fix the problem with LWers on their roster, only to play the LWer they acquired on RW with Crosby and Guentzel. If the thought was that he'd be brought in 100% as a LWer, I'd be all for it. I'm just scared we'd still see someone like Simon in the top-9 and Dzingel playing with Crosby.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

What does Vegas have in terms of lower end D men? Maatta and Sprong for one of their good forwards and a bottom pair (cheap) D man or even a pick and we shop elsewhere for a D man.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I like Dzingel too, but my concern with Dzingel is that he's going to end up playing RW with Crosby. I don't want them to spend serious assets to fix the problem with LWers on their roster, only to play the LWer they acquired on RW with Crosby and Guentzel. If the thought was that he'd be brought in 100% as a LWer, I'd be all for it. I'm just scared we'd still see someone like Simon in the top-9 and Dzingel playing with Crosby.

Wouldn't that be a concern with any speedy top 9 winger they pick up? That the temptation would be to play him with Sid?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
What does Vegas have in terms of lower end D men? Maatta and Sprong for one of their good forwards and a bottom pair (cheap) D man or even a pick and we shop elsewhere for a D man.

Maybe something like Maatta and Sprong for Haula and Merrill? That may be an optimistic return for those two, but getting Haula would be great for the Penguins.

Wouldn't that be a concern with any speedy top 9 winger they pick up? That the temptation would be to play him with Sid?

I think it's more true with Dzingel because he can play RW very well. That wouldn't be the case with someone who either wasn't that strong on RW or only could play LW, Dzingel can play RW better than Rust can play LW as far as I can tell. I'd almost rather get solely a LWer because I don't trust Sullivan with making the lines correct.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I think it's more true with Dzingel because he can play RW very well. That wouldn't be the case with someone who either wasn't that strong on RW or only could play LW, Dzingel can play RW better than Rust can play LW as far as I can tell. I'd almost rather get solely a LWer because I don't trust Sullivan with making the lines correct.

Acquiring Dzingel would allow for flexibility in the lineup, in either case. For instance, even if they did put him with Sid and Jake, that would stop Sullivan from force-feeding Rust onto that line. Rust can then slip back either next to Brassard or next to Sheahan/Cullen, with Hornqvist going next to Brassard.

I do think the Brassard line is the one that needs figuring out. I think once the playoffs begin, Sid and Jake will do their thing regardless of whether it's Hornqvist or Rust on that line. And I think a healthy Malkin and Kessel will be fine. I also think the Sheahan/Cullen line is showing they can be a dependable defensive line that can chip in offense. The one gaping hole right now is an ineffective Brassard line.

Reactions: Riptide

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I don't think the problem is running traditional or balanced approach. I think the issue is that you don't have a 3rd line winger that's both good enough and a good enough fit with Sheahan for me to be comfortable with depth scoring from the 3rd line with Sheahan as the center. Considering the Penguins are either going to have an unproven Blueger or another year older Cullen as their 4C next year, that's not really something I want to test out.

If Sprong turns into something, you can put him in the top-6 and put Kessel on the 3rd line, and that 3rd line will produce despite Kessel and Sheahan not being a great fit with each other. That's really your only option to make a 3rd line with Sheahan as the center offensively viable for a legit cup contender, though. It's either that or you're going to need to pull a 2nd line playmaking winger with speed and grit out of thin air.

Without putting one of Kessel, Brassard or Guentzel on his wing, I'd agree. Sheary could have done it (at least based on how they looked last season), and it's possible that Sprong could do it at some point... but right now we're missing that player.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Another guy I just saw thrown out as an idea for a Sheary replacement on the 3rd line: Sven Andrighetto. He's a RFA after the year and only has a $1.4 million cap hit. He's a guy that reminds me a lot of Sheary, a left handed shoot first player (averaged 2.2 shots/game last year) who can skate extremely well and can play either wing. I think that could make a lot of sense as a LW target for Brassard, he's a guy they can also try on RW with Crosby because he's a natural RWer.

Acquiring Dzingel would allow for flexibility in the lineup, in either case. For instance, even if they did put him with Sid and Jake, that would stop Sullivan from force-feeding Rust onto that line. Rust can then slip back either next to Brassard or next to Sheahan/Cullen, with Hornqvist going next to Brassard.

I do think the Brassard line is the one that needs figuring out. I think once the playoffs begin, Sid and Jake will do their thing regardless of whether it's Hornqvist or Rust on that line. And I think a healthy Malkin and Kessel will be fine. I also think the Sheahan/Cullen line is showing they can be a dependable defensive line that can chip in offense. The one gaping hole right now is an ineffective Brassard line.

The question with that is do you think Sullivan would put any of them on the 4th line? I personally doubt it. The safe guess is that Rust would be playing LW if Dzingel would be playing RW, which isn't a swap I'd want to see happen. I agree with you on what this team needs btw, and I think to make an effective Brassard line, you need a Sheary type of LWer for Brassard and Rust/Hornqvist.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Calgary fans are souring on TJ Brodie. Maybe you could swing a Maatta/something for Brodie trade? I’m not really itching to chase Maatta away, but I’m not sure there’s a closer comparable to pre-injury Daley in the league.

Brodie is a hell of a lot better than Daley. Perhaps not at his peak - but Brodie is on average much better. Daley had 1 season of 30 points+. Brodie has had 5, including two at 40pts+.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The question with that is do you think Sullivan would put any of them on the 4th line? I personally doubt it. The safe guess is that Rust would be playing LW if Dzingel would be playing RW, which isn't a swap I'd want to see happen. I agree with you on what this team needs btw, and I think to make an effective Brassard line, you need a Sheary type of LWer for Brassard and Rust/Hornqvist.

If we acquired Dzingel and he took Sprong's spot in the lineup, Sullivan wouldn't have a choice. One of them would have to play on the 4th line by virtue of all the top nine spots being full.

Obviously Simon would then be the odd man out getting the least minutes, but the bottom two lines would essentially be 3A and 3B, with the Brassard line getting more offensive duties and the Sheahan line getting more defensive duties. Rust's extra minutes would be on the PK, while Hornqvist's extra minutes would be on the PP.

Reactions: Riptide

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If we acquired Dzingel and he took Sprong's spot in the lineup, Sullivan wouldn't have a choice. One of them would have to play on the 4th line by virtue of all the top nine spots being full.

Obviously Simon would then be the odd man out getting the least minutes, but the bottom two lines would essentially be 3A and 3B, with the Brassard line getting more offensive duties and the Sheahan line getting more defensive duties. Rust's extra minutes would be on the PK, while Hornqvist's extra minutes would be on the PP.

Guentzel-Crosby-Dzingel
Hagelin-Malkin-Kessel
Rust-Brassard-Hornqvist
Sheahan-Cullen-Simon

Do you have any doubt that Sullivan would try to run with this at some point? :laugh:

I don't like Rust on LW, and while I do think the Penguins need to find an ideal RWer for Crosby, bringing in another guy to play RW just complicates things. I don't see Sullivan playing any of the RWers on the 4th line and I don't like any of the RWers on LW, so it's a lose-lose situation.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Guentzel-Crosby-Dzingel
Hagelin-Malkin-Kessel
Rust-Brassard-Hornqvist
Sheahan-Cullen-Simon

Do you have any doubt that Sullivan would try to run with this at some point? :laugh:

I don't like Rust on LW, and while I do think the Penguins need to find an ideal RWer for Crosby, bringing in another guy to play RW just complicates things. I don't see Sullivan playing any of the RWers on the 4th line and I don't like any of the RWers on LW, so it's a lose-lose situation.

I actually don't mind those lines, though I'd swap Hornqvist and Simon for now since Horny seems to be clicking with Cullen and Sheahan.

Bottom six of:
Simon-Brassard-Rust
Sheahan-Cullen-Hornqvist

Hornqvist's minutes would be bumped by him playing top PP unit, Rust's minutes would be bumped by him playing PK, and Brassard's minutes would be bumped by him getting PK and 2nd PP unit minutes.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

Why? Most of us wanted to see Rust on LW. I mean pretty much everyone's "ideal lineup" all summer/fall had Rust on LW, with a couple with him on RW with Malkin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad