Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building Thread: Get your trade rumors here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I think with them being in the same division and the Blue Jackets looking at the Pens as a huge rival I think Columbus would want the plus to be monumental for them to do it
Then we say, ''No soup for you''. Or ''You'll get nothing and like it!''

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I don't know that I'd agree with that. I think he just loves Matt Cullen.

I don't think he's brought in anyone else from his time there, has he?
Well JJ didn't play for him but he stated on a few occasions how much he liked JJ and really didn't want to trade him way back when. I think there's a couple of other players he was in the mix for but can't remember who specifically.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
The Blue Jackets org would feel the wrath of the city of Columbus if they allowed Jenner to go to Pittsburgh. It's never going to happen unless it happens in free agency.

Ferland for a 1st is fine with me. Nash if heavily retained would be our Grant replacement. Wouldn't feel much better about the roster given Sheahan being our 3C.

EDIT: I do think it makes the Pens better though. Ferland would give us more than Brass is what I'm boiling it down to.

So just trade Ferland for Brass with Columbus as middleman with the futures. I'd rather roll Sheahan-Cullen and call up TB then add Nash in and give up a 1st.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
FWIW, TIOPS is saying that PIT, CLB and CAR are working on a three way deal whereby Pens would give up a first and Brass and in return we get Ferland and Riley Nash with salary retained...CAR would get a first and second round pick (and have to retain on Nash) and CLB would get Brass and have to give up the second (and Nash obviously)....also says Brass gave a soft trade request about two weeks ago...also says teams like Olek as a depth 6/7 D man but he’s not generating much interest re paying assets for him...
FYI, Columbus doesn't have a 2nd this year. Ours or anyone else's.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
So now we're back to Ferland for Brassard essentially. Nah, hard pass there. Not good enough value.

I'd be interested in that, but obviously would want more value somewhere else if I could find it. Just going off assumption Brass wants out and JR wants to make it happen, I'd do Brass for Ferland if I had to.

Although, one has to question how much better a motivated Brass makes Columbus.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
FYI, Columbus doesn't have a 2nd this year. Ours or anyone else's.

He didn’t state it was this year’s second...could be 2020...not that I’m defending this trade scenario or think it’s likely...lol

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I think he could be had as well. I think he would be cheaper to acquire as well. Then trade out Brassard in a separate package

I think he'd be a pretty good pickup who would excel in that 3C role here.

I also keep checking thier lineups and he's playing LW there atm but is a natural checking C.
Great at FO's. His average is a touch above 30 to 40 pt output but since he has such a defensive role in BUF his offense is sufferring. He's playing alot with the likes of Pommenville so Phil/Rust or Horny would be a serious upgrade.

Very physical checker as well.
Only real knock on him is he's not the ace shot blocker Bonino was but he does block em. 45 last year vs Bonino's avg of 70 to 80.

But if you're looking for a checking C with proven offense in his game prior who's being slammed with DZ starts, who makes an ideal AAV(3.5M) you could do ALOT worse than Sobotka.

Last edited:

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
So now we're back to Ferland for Brassard essentially. Nah, hard pass there. Not good enough value.

Really don’t understand what value you think the worst ES top 9 center of any playoff team has.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Really don’t understand what value you think the worst ES top 9 center of any playoff team has.
More than you're suggesting. To what variance or degree is debatable. But UFA centers hold more value than UFA wingers, again unless the winger is wildly considered better. And in this situation that is not the case. GM's aren't gonna be solely fixated on what Brass has done here. Particularly a team like CBJ who knows the player well.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
More than you're suggesting. To what variance or degree is debatable. But UFA centers hold more value than UFA wingers, again unless the winger is wildly considered better. And in this situation that is not the case. GM's aren't gonna be solely fixated on what Brass has done here. Particularly a team like CBJ who knows the player well.

Ferland is wildly better than Brassard this season.

Because NHL GMs dont have the memory span of a drunk goldfish.

Brassard having a good season a year ago with term got what he got. Brassard having a horrid season with no term is not worth way more than a good UFA winger if you want a player back.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
I think he'd be a pretty good pickup who would excel in that 3C role here.
I also keep checking thier lineups and he's playing LW there atm but is a natural checking C.
Great at FO's. His average is a touch above 30 to 40 pt output but since he has such a defensive role in BUF his offense is sufferring. He's playing alot with the likes of Pommenville so Phil/Rust or Horny would be a serious upgrade.
Very physical checker as well.
Only real knock on him is he's not the ace shot blocker Bonino was but he does block em. 45 last year vs Bonino's avg of 70 to 80.
But if you're looking for a checking C with proven offense in his game prior who's being slammed with DZ starts, who makes an ideal AAV(3.5M) you could do ALOT worse than Sobotka.

I wonder if you could get him for Oleksiak. With him struggling I’m not sure what his value would be. But I agree that him playing his more natural position and playing with upgrades linemates would lead to him producing at a better clip. Then you could move Brassard to upgrade your left wing depth and maybe still make a separate trade for Ferland as well

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I think Ferland and Nash with retention make the team better than Brass and a 1st round pick, so I personally wouldn't be too upset about it. Would like to see the Pens get a pick to make up for losing that 1st though.

I have a really hard time rationalizing trading a 1st and getting Ferland back. I have an even harder time rationalizing moving Brassard and getting Nash (even with some good retention) back - and this is coming from someone who in abstract, wouldn't really mind Nash and wanted him this summer. But value wise, we should be able to do a lot better than that.

Realistically if Ferland gets moved (or more likely, when not if), it will probably be for a 2nd+. I mean it wasn't all that long ago NYR fans were saying the same thing about Grabner and when the smoke cleared, he was moved for a 2nd+.

Reactions: Shady Machine

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017

Brassard having a good season a year ago with term got what he got. Brassard having a horrid season with no term is not worth way more than a good UFA winger if you want a player back.
But not when you look at his entire body of work. And GM's aren't gonna solely base their opinion on recent performances. Not when there's ample evidence that suggests he's a good player. In fact, The Jackets likely have a much higher appreciation for the player than most teams.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I wonder if you could get him for Oleksiak. With him struggling I’m not sure what his value would be. But I agree that him playing his more natural position and playing with upgrades linemates would lead to him producing at a better clip. Then you could move Brassard to upgrade your left wing depth and maybe still make a separate trade for Ferland as well

Think BUF would be more interested in Brass vs Rig.
That would allow them to bump Sheary, Mittelstadt or Thompson to their 3rd line and Pommenville to the 4th or press box.

Like i said tho, i just dunno how willing they are to let Sobotka go BUT he is playing 3LW for them(maybe the website i'm going off of is wrong tho? Team Line Combinations).
Is he relied on heavily for their PK? How good is their PK this season?
These things i don't know.
I'd most definitely inquire if i was JR.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Jenner is primarily a left winger though isn’t he? Also Columbus would never trade us a guy who’s play style could wake Malkin up and help him go on a tear

Not this season. He's currently #1 on their team in FO's taken with 720.

So just trade Ferland for Brass with Columbus as middleman with the futures. I'd rather roll Sheahan-Cullen and call up TB then add Nash in and give up a 1st.

Yeah, while I'm not completely opposed to Nash, adding in a 1st just to get him with heavy retention is Pejorative Slured. You could retain 50% (1.375m) and I still wouldn't touch him for a 1st.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
But not when you look at his entire body of work. And GM's aren't gonna solely base their opinion on recent performances. Not when there's ample evidence that suggests he's a good player. In fact, The Jackets likely have a much higher appreciation for the player than most teams.

Doesn’t matter. UFAs don’t go for premium prices unless they are stars.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

Sure, but that's not all that hard considering how shit Brassard has been.

The difference is that GMs will still see Brassard as a potential 2c who's capable of putting up 50/60pts. The issue for us is unless we're going to go with Sheahan at 3c, we need a pretty specific return, which will limit things for us as there's only a few teams out there that can give us that return. But if we were going to move him for the best package available and focused solely on value, we'd easily get a 1st, potentially a little more.

Doesn’t matter. UFAs don’t go for premium prices unless they are stars.

I guess it depends on how you define "premium". But we will still get a good return for him - unless we're looking at getting an NHL ready player back, then that changes things - how much I don't know, but I'm certain that we won't get back the same sort of value if we get Dickinson/Faksa back vs going for futures.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
Think BUF would be more interested in Brass vs Rig.
That would allow them to bump Sheary, Mittelstadt or Thompson to their 3rd line and Pommenville to the 4th or press box.

Like i said tho, i just dunno how willing they are to let Sobotka go BUT he is playing 3LW for them(maybe the website i'm going off of is wrong tho? Team Line Combinations).
Is he relied on heavily for their PK? How good is their PK this season?
These things i don't know.
I'd most definitely inquire if i was JR.

Brass for Sobotka is a little rich for my blood. I would think Buffalo would need to add a piece or two because I think that’s an overpayment on our end

Reactions: OGBobbyFarnham

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Think peeps should just forget about Ferland.
Ain't happenin'.
Other teams have way better assets and there will be alot of teams in on him.
Also think theres a high probability he goes back there.
He loves it there.
Don't see the point with all of this factored in.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Sure, but that's not all that hard considering how **** Brassard has been.

The difference is that GMs will still see Brassard as a potential 2c who's capable of putting up 50/60pts. The issue for us is unless we're going to go with Sheahan at 3c, we need a pretty specific return, which will limit things for us as there's only a few teams out there that can give us that return. But if we were going to move him for the best package available and focused solely on value, we'd easily get a 1st, potentially a little more.

I guess it depends on how you define "premium". But we will still get a good return for him - unless we're looking at getting an NHL ready player back, then that changes things.

Sure but why would this team want nothing? Ferland helps the team now. If an asset totally useless to you can be used to get a good player like Ferland that’s not a bad deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad