Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building Thread: Get your trade rumors here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Yea, i'm in BIG favor of that experiment atm.

Jake-Sid-Horny
Simon-G-Rust/Phil
Pearson-Blueger-Rust/Phil
Sheahan-Cullen-Blandisi

Or i guess, wait. Brass is still here:

Jake-Sid-Horny
Simon/Brass-G-Rust/Phil
Simon/Brass-Blueger-Rust/Phil
Pearson-Cullen-Sheahan

or Pearson is bumped up/Simon or who ever down.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Shouldn't we try Blueger before going after a 3C? Why waste assets when we have a former 2nd round pick putting up great numbers in the AHL?

Not this season. 4c, sure. But we need to get him some games before we pencil him in as a 3c, and there's not enough games left before the TD to make any sort of determination on him this season.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Guentzel-Crosby-Rust
Ferland-Malkin-Kessel
Pearson-Sheahan-Hornqvist
ZAR-Cullen-Simon

Pretty damn good if Sheahan gets just a slight uptick in production, honestly. Ferland can play RW too.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
You're missing my point. I don't want Sheahan necessarily manning third line center. I'm saying if we start looking at guys below that level of players mentioned, we'll end up at a guy the level of Sheahan. And obviously none of us would want that. Why give up assets for a guy like Nash. I don't think he's an upgrade on Sheahan so it wouldn't make much sense to pursue such a deal.

Yeah, if you're trading Brassard for freaking Riley Nash the Pens are better off trading Brassard for a 1st and prospect, and they'll get it.

The Pens 1st will hold its weight going for a 3c.

Brassard should be able to get them a 1 for one, but it might not be the position you wish to fill with a Brassard trade.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
The problem remains....

Everyone can see Brassard struggle here and knows the org would like to move him on. He's also an UFA.

Pens have almost zero leverage to come out neutral, let alone win, in a trade here.

They either lose more assets or get crap back if you try a 1 for 1 trade.
I don’t know if his struggles on this team necessarily tank his value. Teams will look st his as a 2C, where he has a track record of being very good.

Reactions: Ryder71

Apr 9, 2009
USA
So just trade Ferland for Brass with Columbus as middleman with the futures. I'd rather roll Sheahan-Cullen and call up TB then add Nash in and give up a 1st.

I can't imagine Columbus doing the trade if all they're getting is futures. They're looking for a C upgrade.

Again, this is not a trade I am in love with, I just think it technically makes the team a little better. I'm pretty high on Ferland. I think he'd be a great add to this roster. If it's the best Brass deal available, sure, I'm not upset.

Guentzel-Crosby-Rust
Ferland-Malkin-Kessel
Pearson-Sheahan-Hornqvist
ZAR-Cullen-Simon

Pretty damn good if Sheahan gets just a slight uptick in production, honestly. Ferland can play RW too.

Having Nash would be nice insurance for the playoffs, too. Players usually play better here than where they came from.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I'd just swap Brass for Bones. Don't see how Nashville would turn that down with how flush they are with bottom six style players who can play center. Turris can take on a bigger defensive role and free Brassard up for offensive starts. That'd be a good cheap solution to their scoring depth issues.

Maybe we can get them to retain a little or throw in a pick.

Reactions: Shady Machine

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I'd just swap Brass for Bones. Don't see how Nashville would turn that down with how flush they are with bottom six style players who can play center. Turris can take on a bigger defensive role and free Brassard up for offensive starts. That'd be a good cheap solution to their scoring depth issues.

I’d be mostly down.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA

I would rather swap Brassard for Jarnkrok if they would do that

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Yeah, if you're trading Brassard for freaking Riley Nash the Pens are better off trading Brassard for a 1st and prospect, and they'll get it.

Brassard should be able to get them a 1 for one, but it might not be the position you wish to fill with a Brassard trade.
As long as the value is commensurate or at least close to it. Of course that can be a subjective debate. If we have to go the route of trying to get a 1st and maybe a prospect, then it's a much better option IMO than just trading him for a borderline third line center who has a less distinguished body of work. The key here is to maximize him as an asset as much as possible. And there are more ways to achieve that objective than just one.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
There are multiple senarios, each more complicated than the next.

1. Trade Brassard for 3c

2. Trade Brassard for value, trade futures for 3c.

3. Trade Brassard for a winger, trade futures for 3c.

4. Trade Brassard for a RHD, shift Johnson over, Pettersson up and trade Maatta for a higher caliber 3C.

All of these senarios involve money in money out and moving a depth D like Ruh or Oleksiak for the sake of not having 9D.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
If JR finds a way to add Faksa and Ferland...he did a great job at the deadline and he cleared up some holes. If he finds a way to add a top 4 defenseman...he is sending a clear message to the team. Part of me wants to start being more cautious with our young assets. Another part of me wants him to mortgage the entire ****ing lot and put the best team on the ice no matter what.

The crazy thing about this roster is how much salary that is currently being taken up by guys who have absolutely no impact on the roster.

I think 3C, winger (I'd assume for Malkin), and D partner for Schultz (so we can ride the crap out of our top 4 and insulate JMFJ, who we all know won't be benched ever) is pretty much the dream scenario.

Faksa, Ferland, Muzzin . . . nice dream, but I think that only happens with Brass, Maatta, the 1st, and who knows what else going out.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I think 3C, winger (I'd assume for Malkin), and D partner for Schultz (so we can ride the crap out of our top 4 and insulate JMFJ, who we all know won't be benched ever) is pretty much the dream scenario.

Faksa, Ferland, Muzzin . . . nice dream, but I think that only happens with Brass, Maatta, the 1st, and who knows what else going out.
We'd have to add a bit, but to what degree not sure. But roughly that's the sort of assets we should be moving as well as the ones we should be targeting.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

That said... if we could get Nash cheap, I'd be interested. Yeah he's similar to Sheahan, but he's insurance if RS doesn't work out, and he's signed cheap for the next couple seasons.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

I'd probably just stick with Sheahan if we're going that route.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
We'd have to add a bit, but to what degree not sure. But roughly that's the sort of assets we should be moving as well as the ones we should be targeting.

I don't know.

I think addressing all of the needs is doable, but it's going to make the cupboard really bare.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I'd probably just stick with Sheahan if we're going that route.

I think I've reached the point where the Pens biggest issue is getting the Malkin situation sorted, and I think that includes finding him a winger who he really can mesh with. Finding him a Hags with hands really is critical, which is why I'm on board with the Ferland and Dzingel talk here.

We need to do something to upgrade the 3C situation. And, I'd like better than Maatta playing with Schultz when he returns. BUT, I think I'd like the ideal winger for Malkin more than both. And, if the price of jump starting and leveraging Malkin means I've got Sheahan and Maatta as 3C and 2LD, then so be it.

Reactions: Andy99 and Riptide

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I don't know.

I think addressing all of the needs is doable, but it's going to make the cupboard really bare.
Well, we are a win now team. Also, I'm not thrilled with parting with a 1st rounder, but if say Faksa and Muzzin were involved, we'd have them for more than just this season. Likely Jarry and one of our 2hd rounders from last year might have to go. Are these three players enough? Who knows.

Last edited:

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Well, we are a win now team. Also, I'm not thrilled with parting with a 1st rounder, but if say Faksa and Muzzin were involved we have them for more than just this season. Likely Jarry and one of our 2hd rounders from last year might have to go. Are these three players enough? Who knows.

Adding Faksa and Muzzin certainly would help. What you get for Maatta and a 1st gets you reasonably close, I'd guess.

That said, I wonder if a winger who you feel very strongly (you can't know, so let's say feel very strongly) can mesh with Geno might be an even bigger get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad