Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building Thread: Get your trade rumors here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
The Jackets are pretty anemic at center. I think they very much would like to get Brassard. With Panarin and BOB likely leaving, it could be now or never for them. If they think they got a viable shot maybe they'd move Jenner. I think he's far from being untouchable.

Except adding Brassard at the cost of Jenner doesn't make the Jackets better nor position them in a "now or never" situation.

I disagree. But what it would come down to is if they think Brassard relative to what they need would help them more. Looking at their situation at center, I can't imagine Brassard not being their 2C. Jenner is a 3C, so they're getting the higher caliber player, just short term. And again if we had to add a piece to make it work I'd do it, provided it wasn't a huge add.

Brass is not a "higher caliber player" than Jenner. Jenner is centering the team's de facto second line. Yes, Brass would draw in as a middle-six C in Cbus, but with Jenner, not instead of. If CBJ traded Jenner, then it's middle six centers would be Brass (rental) and Wennberg (struggling and maybe needs a change of scenery but management seems OK with waiting for him to hopefully come around).

The only C the Jackets might legit move is Nash, and I guess I see why he might be a fit in Pittsburgh but he's been pretty ineffective here. I have my doubts that Kekalainen is ready to end that experiment, either, unfortunately.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Except adding Brassard at the cost of Jenner doesn't make the Jackets better nor position them in a "now or never" situation.

Brass is not a "higher caliber player" than Jenner. Jenner is centering the team's de facto second line. Yes, Brass would draw in as a middle-six C in Cbus, but with Jenner, not instead of. If CBJ traded Jenner, then it's middle six centers would be Brass (rental) and Wennberg (struggling and maybe needs a change of scenery but management seems OK with waiting for him to hopefully come around).
If you're losing Panarin it kinda is now or never. He's your best player by a mile, at least upfront. And if you don't think Brass will move you forward that's fine. I'm sure we can find other dancing partners. But we sure as hell shouldn't trade him for the equivalent of Riley Nash.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
If you're losing Panarin it kinda is now or never. He's your best player by a mile, at least upfront. And if you don't think Brass will move you forward that's fine. I'm sure we can find other dancing partners. But we sure as hell shouldn't trade him for the equivalent of Riley Nash.

I don't dispute the bolded. And I don't dispute that Brass couldn't be part of a now-or-never scenario. But at the cost of Jenner... it would undo any benefit from adding Brassard.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I don't dispute the bolded. And I don't dispute that Brass couldn't be part of a now-or-never scenario. But at the cost of Jenner... it would undo any benefit from adding Brassard.
I think Brass is a bit more dynamic offensively than Jenner is. But if you don't see him as better I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I think Brass is a bit more dynamic offensively than Jenner is. But if you don't see him as better I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

Jenner is Columbus's Hornqvist type of player. Not all that dynamic (at least consistently), and will at times leave you wanting more. Then the POs role around and you're like f*** yes I love this guy. The idea that some people would even ask for Jenner in a Brassard deal is laughable, and one doesn't need to be a Columbus fan to know this.

Reactions: EightyOne

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Yeah I think it's pretty obvious to most that there's little chance of Columbus ever trading Jenner to Pittsburgh.
There's little chance of any particular trade happening if you look at it from that perspective. Doesn't mean it couldn't happen. Not saying it's likely but I wouldn't necessarily rule it out.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Jenner is Columbus's Hornqvist type of player. Not all that dynamic (at least consistently), and will at times leave you wanting more. Then the POs role around and you're like **** yes I love this guy. The idea that some people would even ask for Jenner in a Brassard deal is laughable, and one doesn't need to be a Columbus fan to know this.

I'm talking value here, and I'm not gonna trade Brassard for a ham n egger like Nash. If they want Brass it has to be for Jenner or someone comparable. I'm not gonna just give Brass away! And anyone who would doesn't understand asset management very well!

Last edited:

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
I don't appreciate your tone, boy! You got me?

I'm talking value here, and I'm not gonna trade Brassard for a ham n egger like Nash. If they want Brass it has to be for Jenner or someone comparable. I'm not gonna just give Brass away! And anyone who would doesn't understand asset management very well!

Just out of curiosity who is your ideal 3c target in a trade where Brassard is the centerpiece?

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
The problem remains....

Everyone can see Brassard struggle here and knows the org would like to move him on. He's also an UFA.

Pens have almost zero leverage to come out neutral, let alone win, in a trade here.

They either lose more assets or get crap back if you try a 1 for 1 trade.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
What would you be willing to add to Brassard to get a guy like Faksa? Because straight up that isn’t going to happen
Considering Brass is the higher caliber player not much. Maybe a mid rounder.

But to be clear, if we can't get a guy on the level of Faksa, why not use Sheahan at 3C? Because if you're going lower on the totem pole than that, that's where you'll end up.

Reactions: EightyOne

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
The problem remains....

Everyone can see Brassard struggle here and knows the org would like to move him on. He's also an UFA.

Pens have almost zero leverage to come out neutral, let alone win, in a trade here.

They either lose more assets or get crap back if you try a 1 for 1 trade.
Why does it necessarily have to be a 1 for 1 deal. But if you're content with losing the trade I think you're selling JR short here. I'll be very curious to see what JR can get. And if he cannot get decent return, keep him and hope he has a good playoff run.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
What would you be willing to add to Brassard to get a guy like Faksa? Because straight up that isn’t going to happen

Earlier this year I didn't think so. But depending on how they view Dickinson, perhaps it's not as remote as we think, when you consider needs, Faksa's age and future years of team control. Not that Dallas is a poor team by any means, but 2 weeks ago, did anyone think they'd move Shore for Cogliano?

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Why does it necessarily have to be a 1 for 1 deal. But if you're content with losing the trade I think you're selling JR short here. I'll be very curious to see what JR can get. And if he cannot get decent return, keep him and hope he has a good playoff run.

I'm just saying, Brassard having zero value here means we might have to accept Ri Nash as the return on him or add just to get Faksa.

I don't know that a trade based on 'anybody but brass', is really an improvement on the ice. And I hate the guy. But I don't know if just ditching him is better.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I'm just saying, Brassard having zero value here means we might have to accept Ri Nash as the return on him or add just to get Faksa.

I don't know that a trade based on 'anybody but brass', is really an improvement on the ice. And I hate the guy. But I don't know if just ditching him is better.
I think if it's Faksa and we add a mid round pick, you got to do it, if it's Nash, you keep Brassard.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
If JR finds a way to add Faksa and Ferland...he did a great job at the deadline and he cleared up some holes. If he finds a way to add a top 4 defenseman...he is sending a clear message to the team. Part of me wants to start being more cautious with our young assets. Another part of me wants him to mortgage the entire f***ing lot and put the best team on the ice no matter what.

The crazy thing about this roster is how much salary that is currently being taken up by guys who have absolutely no impact on the roster.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I know I'll probably get killed, but I'd seriously look into Bozak. If STL retains, I think he'd be a fantastic 3rd line center and he wouldn't cost a whole hell of a lot to get. He also gives a RH faceoff ace which is always good to have.

Reactions: CoyoteSkyDiver

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Considering Brass is the higher caliber player not much. Maybe a mid rounder.

But to be clear, if we can't get a guy on the level of Faksa, why not use Sheahan at 3C?
Because if you're going lower on the totem pole than that, that's where you'll end up.

Because even those of us who are fans of Sheahan, are leery of going with him as the 3c with no real other backup options (and no Cullen/TB don't count).

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I know I'll probably get killed, but I'd seriously look into Bozak. If STL retains, I think he'd be a fantastic 3rd line center and he wouldn't cost a whole hell of a lot to get. He also gives a RH faceoff ace which is always good to have.

And deservedly so. Bozak is just another lesser Brassard. He worked in Toronto, because he was used as an offensive center, while Kadri was used as the defensive center. Which one of Crosby/Malkin are you reverting to a defensive type of role to accommodate Bozak? I think for the same reasons Brassard has struggled here, Bozak would as well. Add in his term and cap hit, and I'd probably go with Sheahan over him.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Wish i had a crystal ball and knew Hanzal could get back to 100% health.
His underlying stats over his career blow any other candidate out of the water save E. Staal.
At 100% health he's just as good or better than Eller.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Because even those of us who are fans of Sheahan, are leery of going with him as the 3c with no real other backup options (and no Cullen/TB don't count).
You're missing my point. I don't want Sheahan necessarily manning third line center. I'm saying if we start looking at guys below that level of players mentioned, we'll end up at a guy the level of Sheahan. And obviously none of us would want that. Why give up assets for a guy like Nash. I don't think he's an upgrade on Sheahan so it wouldn't make much sense to pursue such a deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad