GDT: NHL 2024 Draft Lottery: Tuesday, May 7th, 6:30 pm | ESPN, ESPN+, SN, TVAS, Fubo (live stream with free trial) (Habs pick 5th)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
MOD edit: Teams can move up maximum of 10 spots. It's a count down of all 16 teams that missed playoffs.

Current Draft Order:

16. St. Louis Blues
15. Detroit Red Wings
14. Pittsburgh Penguins (SJS own this pick due to Karlsson trade)
13. Minnesota Wild
12. Philadelphia Flyers
11. Buffalo Sabres
10. New Jersey Devils
9. Calgary Flames
8. Seattle Kraken
7. Ottawa Senators
6. Utah Hockey Club
5. Montreal Canadiens
4. Columbus Blue Jackets
3. Anaheim Ducks
2. Chicago Blackhawks
1. San Jose Sharks

Just excited about the Celebrini sweepstakes. T-minus 3 days until we find out!

I have this horrible gut feeling Chicago or Utah wins 1st Ov.

Last edited by a moderator:

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019
Light the candles guys… getting Celebrini here, no need to tell y’all what this would mean. Years of contention ahead.

Reactions: Rozz

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Light the candles guys… getting Celebrini here, no need to tell y’all what this would mean. Years of contention ahead.

I would argue that we probably do not trade for a top 6F if we get Celebrini and we are drafting 8-15 range next year and still have a good pick. Celebrini needle moves but in 2+ years.

It would be very interesting to see what moves Gorton/Hughes make this summer, if we do get Celebrini tomorrow.

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
A cool thing to track is that teams can only move up twice in a 5 year window, so if any of CHI, ANA, or NJD move up again this year it would make them ineligible for some of the near future drafts

Chicago Blackhawks Moved from 3rd to 1st
Anaheim Ducks Moved from 1st to 2nd

New Jersey Devils Moved from 5th to 2nd

Curious what that would look like. For example if CHI wins this year and finishes bottom 5 next year, how will the NHL adjust the odds for the other teams. I'm guessing all teams would have collectively better odds because CHI's lottery balls would be removed. Another possibility would be the 6-16th placed teams simply slide up one spot. Gavin McKenna is looking like a generational talent so would be pretty big if someone lost their chance

Reactions: Habs Halifax

eklund the clown

Dec 28, 2010
How many times has the 5th pick got first?Seems like the lottery for the most part stays the same with not a lot of movement

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Was in response to "3 and 7 would need a miracle".

Levshunov or Parekh not in your top 7?
It would take a brave man to take Parekh before one of Dickinson, Buium, Levshunov or Yakemchuk.

Watching yesterday's game 6 between London and Saginaw provided any observer with a cautionary tale about the transferability of Parekh's game to the NHL as he was rag dolled and steamrolled on several occasions by London forecheckers. A skillful defender who can put up glossy numbers against teenagers, he will be easy pickings in pro hockey.

Last edited:

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
I would argue that we probably do not trade for a top 6F if we get Celebrini and we are drafting 8-15 range next year and still have a good pick. Celebrini needle moves but in 2+ years.

It would be very interesting to see what moves Gorton/Hughes make this summer, if we do get Celebrini tomorrow.
I disagree. If we win Celebrini, our rebuild is done. We will have 5 top 6ers (Slaf, Suzuki, Caufield, Dach, Mack) with a need for one more. That one more can come from development (Roy, Newhook), from a trade or UFA.

If we make a trade we have assets to move....Jets 1st, Calgary 1st, Habs 2025 1st, D corps, Mesar, etc.

If we go the UFA route, we can target an aging veteran to bridge the gap before Slaf/Mack are fully developed. (See one Stamkos, Steven - 3 year contract)

With a lottery win, next year could conceivably be something like this......

Slaf - Suzuki- Celebrini
Caufield - Dach - Stamkos/Zegras/Necas
Newhook - Dvorak - Armia
Anderson - Evans - Gally
Roy

Matheson - Guhle
Hutson (yes I think he makes it) - Savard
Xhekaj - Mailloux
Barron/Struble/Harris (take your pick)

Monty
Primeau

That team has playoffs written all over it for 24/25. It has serious contender status in 2 years.

My personal fantasy......

We win Celebrini
We sign Stamkos for 3 x 8
We retain the Jets pick and both of next years to fill up our pipeline and build a sustainable long term challenger (a la Tampa Bay Lightning).

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I disagree. If we win Celebrini, our rebuild is done. We will have 5 top 6ers (Slaf, Suzuki, Caufield, Dach, Mack) with a need for one more. That one more can come from development (Roy, Newhook), from a trade or UFA.

If we make a trade we have assets to move....Jets 1st, Calgary 1st, Habs 2025 1st, D corps, Mesar, etc.

If we go the UFA route, we can target an aging veteran to bridge the gap before Slaf/Mack are fully developed. (See one Stamkos, Steven - 3 year contract)

Slaf - Suzuki- Celebrini
Newhook - Dvorak - Armia
Anderson - Evans - Gally
Roy

Matheson - Guhle
Xhekaj - Mailloux

Monty
Primeau

That team has playoffs written all over it for 24/25. It has serious contender status in 2 years.

We win Celebrini
We retain the Jets pick and both of next years to fill up our pipeline and build a sustainable long term challenger (a la Tampa Bay Lightning).

Rebuild pieces become more clear but the rebuild/transition is not done. Making moves too early would be like the Sens trading a top 10 pick for Debrincat.

It's a process and even if we get Celebrini, we still have to be careful. I'm not saying Hughes doesn't still search for a top 6F but that would depend on who that asset is and what the cost is to acquire. How does that player fit our forward strategy needs. It's very fluid with the calculation on when we would compete and who might become available to us.

Whatever happens, patience is still required.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002

It's lit

8ozcm3.jpg

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

Slaf - Suzuki- Celebrini
Newhook - Dvorak - Armia
Anderson - Evans - Gally
Roy

Matheson - Guhle
Xhekaj - Mailloux

Monty
Primeau

We win Celebrini

The rebuild would not be done, they'd be out of the stage of the rebuild where they need luck or external help to build a potential core because they'd have the young NHLer/blue chip prospect depth in the system. That doesn't mean everyone will hit or become the players needed to contend.

Like, that's a pretty interesting roster potential-wise that could be a contender in as little as two seasons, but its also reminiscent of the 2022-2023 Senators and Sabres. Which is why I'd agree that they'd be better off in the unlikely event they win to sign a guy like Stamkos instead of moving picks + prospects for Zegras or Necas type.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
The rebuild would not be done, they'd be out of the stage of the rebuild where they need luck or external help to build a potential core because they'd have the young NHLer/blue chip prospect depth in the system. That doesn't mean everyone will hit or become the players needed to contend.

Like, that's a pretty interesting roster potential-wise that could be a contender in as little as two seasons, but its also reminiscent of the 2022-2023 Senators and Sabres. Which is why I'd agree that they'd be better off in the unlikely event they win to sign a guy like Stamkos instead of moving picks + prospects for Zegras or Necas type.
I guess no rebuild is done, until the idea of what we can become is fully realized. My point is, that is what I would forge ahead with, should we win the lottery. If we don't win the lottery, we still have work.

Reactions: Runner77

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
How many times has the 5th pick got first?Seems like the lottery for the most part stays the same with not a lot of movement

5th place has won 3 times:

NYI (2000): Rick DiPietro
Chicago (2007): Patrick Kane
New Jersey (2017): Nico Hischier

#1 wins by far the most
#3 has won more than #2, though

Chicago won from #3 last year: Connor Bedard
New Jersey won from #3 in 2019: Jack Hughes
Edmonton won from #3 in 2015: Connor McDavid

#2 hasn't won in 10 years: Florida 2014: Aaron Ekblad, after #2 won 3 consecutive years (2012, 2013 & 2014).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad