Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building: The Uncoachable & The Unmovable: The Tale of The American Dream

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I'm still pretty adamant that this team's issues will take more than one off-season to fix. The best course of action this summer may just end up being the subtractions of Phil, JJ and Maatta.

I'm zero-percent interested in signing guys like Zuccarello or Johansson. They'll get too much money and too much term for guys their age/caliber.

I'd rather just make no additions if we can't find one that makes sense now, as well as moving forward.

Lomez

Too Awesome for Top 100
Mar 29, 2009
PGH, PA
Alarms should be ringing that nobody wants this supposedly elite winger.

Not sure we really know this; maybe after the finals are over and before 7/1 we have a better sense?

Bjugstad is so vanilla. I sure hope he's in play.

Not sure what "vanilla" means. His other underlying stats are pretty decent, for the price and the role he can play, he's not bad value.

Whats with this hagelin talk, all he does is skate fast. Zero offense and we have enough bottom 6 players. At 2mil i politely tell him to go somewhere else. At league mininum we can talk...

The Nordic Rica Fata. Love'em.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Whats with this hagelin talk, all he does is skate fast. Zero offense and we have enough bottom 6 players. At 2mil i politely tell him to go somewhere else. At league mininum we can talk...

He does a tad more than "just skate fast". And him at 2m would be a steal, and something we should do if it's at all possible and we can afford it cap wise. Hagelin as a depth player is a good piece to have. The issue is when you need him on L2 to make up for Kessel's short comings. When Hagelin is producing at a 35/40pt pace, it's not an issue... when he's producing at a 15pt pace, it's an issue. However his lack of offense ceases to be as much of a problem as it was previously if he's only costing 2m and you can bury him on L4.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
For the amount of love Bonino (rightfully) gets, Bjugstad gets way too much undeserved hate. They're the same caliber 3rd line center.

Bjugstad's got a higher offensive ceiling, Bonino's a bit better defensively. All in all, they're pretty damn close to equal in terms of quality, and value.

We just took two years and a dozen assets to fix the hole left by Bonino's departure. Why in the world people want to keep messing with that role is beyond me, especially with all the other glaring issues. :laugh:

Tinkering with Bjugstad is a thing you do when Geno has wingers, we've removed Phil/JJ/Maatta, and found a better LD for Schultz.

DeadPuckEra

Dec 19, 2014
If they absolutely have to get Phil away from this team... just use him as a payment for someone to take on JJ.

I mean, what would you rather have... a lukewarm bottom 6 player or two for Kessel or a JJ free D core and some picks or prospects AND significant cap space?

Use the money coming off the cap in free agency. That’s a hell of a lot of money.

Last edited:

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I hated and utterly rejected the idea of using Phil as a vehicle to rid ourselves of JJ, but if the only deal out there was the Zucker one, which Phil has already rejected, then it may be our best option.

We'd be hearing a lot more noise if there were other deals out there, I think. There's way too big a microscope on this saga for it to be this quiet.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
For the amount of love Bonino (rightfully) gets, Bjugstad gets way too much undeserved hate. They're the same caliber 3rd line center.

Bjugstad's got a higher offensive ceiling, Bonino's a bit better defensively. All in all, they're pretty damn close to equal in terms of quality, and value.

We just took two years and a dozen assets to fix the hole left by Bonino's departure. Why in the world people want to keep messing with that role is beyond me, especially with all the other glaring issues. :laugh:

Tinkering with Bjugstad is a thing you do when Geno has wingers, we've removed Phil/JJ/Maatta, and found a better LD for Schultz.

Bonino is probably just a better fit. I doubt you’ll see Bjugstad blocking 20 pucks a game and taking all the Dzone draws.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

DeadPuckEra

Dec 19, 2014
I hated and utterly rejected the idea of using Phil as a vehicle to rid ourselves of JJ, but if the only deal out there was the Zucker one, which Phil has already rejected, then it may be our best option.

We'd be hearing a lot more noise if there were other deals out there, I think. There's way too big a microscope on this saga for it to be this quiet.

I don’t like it either but their hands are tied.

Tell Arizona they can have him for their 1st and some middling prospects. They have to take JJ too, no retaining on either.

It’s a hell of a lot better than getting some third line, and/or misfit who will probably only exasperate this teams issues - so that Rutherford can say he “got something” for Kessel.

Time to cut our losses. Won’t even be bad considering all the money they will have to play with on 7/1

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
McCann-Crosby-Rust
Guentzel-Malkin-Zucker
Simon-Bjugstad-Hornqvist
Johnson-Blueger-ZAR
Wilson

Dumoulin-Letang
Maatta-Schultz
Pettersson-Gudbranson
Riikola-Ruhwedel

Murray-DeSmith

fits with about $1.5M in cap space.

Excuse while I clean the puke from my laptop....

You do realize that nearly same lineup almost missed the playoffs and was swept by an extremely average Isles team.... SWEPT

hqdefault.jpg

note: Image provided for emphasis

Reactions: ChaosAgent

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I don’t like it either but their hands are tied.

Tell Arizona they can have him for their 1st and some middling prospects. They have to take JJ too, no retaining on either.

It’s a hell of a lot better than getting some third line, and/or misfit who will probably only exasperate this teams issues - so that Rutherford can say he “got something” for Kessel.

Time to cut our losses. Won’t even be bad considering all the money they will have to play with on 7/1
The issue is that Phil may be open to Arizona, but Arizona isn't interested at all (allegedly).

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Our only hope at this point seems to be that Zucker isnt traded to someone else. JR probably goes back to Phil after the draft and says Minnesota is the best you'll get.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Hagelin was pretty awesome for Washington and was pretty easily the Penguins best defensive forward. He should be brought back, he shouldn’t have been traded in the first place, and the team knows it.

JR wanted to bring Hagelin back when we were able to cap wise. He just didn’t know you couldn’t with retention. :laugh:

Not sure if that was his plan from the start. Get Pearson hope he rebounds add some scoring and then get Hagelin back for a pick later on when we were cap compliant (he’d know LA was going to move Hags before the deadline).

Reactions: KIRK

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
How many teams WANT Phil to play for them? Boston didn't. Toronto didn't. Team USA didn't. But sure, Sully is who we should be concerned about. One guy on his team who's provided evidence to the masses that he's selfish (iron man streak / unwillingness to put an effort on L3), and has probably provided clear cut evidence to the organization (rumored practice attitude) that he's not willing to change his style for anyone is the victim in all of this.

So our team - who were abysmal defensively (as a team) -tell arguably the best defensive forward in hockey (dollar for dollar) to go pound sand at 2M? You take that deal and RUN. Game is more than just icing forwards who can shoot the puck. Now, we don't need an entire roster full of guys who can't shoot - but right now this team has enough guys who can put up 15+ goals and a severe shortage of guys willing to play hard + make a difference doing so.

Who was that Coach for TEAM USA again???? John Tortorella....??? The same meathead that's besties with our Meathead Coach???

One more thing, How did that TEAM USA perform without Kessel under Coach Meathead???

Victory is sweet....

Reactions: Jag68Sid87

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
If they feel their hands are tied, then untie them. A bad trade is worse than a bad room.

A couple of other thoughts:

- could Toronto be a fit for Jack Johnson? They really have a lot of holes on defense if we subtract Gardiner, Hainsey, Zaitsev and Dermott (for half the season, likely). Dubas is an analytics guy but Babcock loves Jack Johnson-type defensemen, historically. He would basically replace Hainsey. I wonder if they would be the team to accept Johnson for a seventh rounder in 2022 or something.

- I think we should be in on Jesse Puljujarvi. Not as a Phil Kessel replacement (not in 2019-20 anyway), but as a young player who is currently injured who is probably better than any of our current prospects. Adding him to the roster pool, without necessarily putting a timetable on when he can help us, would be an interesting move. I don't know what the Oilers would want for him, but I suspect the Holland-Tippett Oilers want to win now, turn their fortunes around as quickly as possible and surround McDavid and Draisaitl with veterans. Would the Oilers do Hornqvist and DeSmith/Jarry for Puljujarvi and 8th overall? I would settle for DeSmith and Horny for Puljujarvi and Edm's 2nd rounder if the 8th overall was off the table.

If we were to make these two moves, we could save almost $10 million on the cap without forcing a bad trade involving Kessel. Puljujarvi would start the season almost suredly on LTIR. We would have a hole on the wing but we would have cap space to try to fill it. And, the hole would not be as big as the hole we would be creating if we traded Kessel.

Obviously, it takes two to make a trade. I get that. I just think these are the types of moves we should be looking at making, instead of forcing a trade of one of our better players.

Reactions: John Titor

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
A hypothetical winger scenario of
Guentzel
Zucker
Hornqvist
McCann
Rust
Hagelin
Simon

Vs

Kessel
Hornqvist
Hagelin
Sheary
Rust
Kunitz

Pretty good tbh.

Reactions: Peat and iFishyHD

SherogoesHAM

Apr 6, 2012
I'll give it a go:

Phil/Schultz for Subban
Maatta for Miles Wood
Bjugstad/Johnson(maybe a combo deal to get rid of Johnson) for a prospect or pick
sign Hags for 2years 2mil per

Jake-Sid-McCann 15.95
Hagelin-Malkin-Horn 16.8
Wood-Blueger-Rust 7.25
Simon - Palvi - Adam J. 2.25

Dumo - Letang - 11.35
Pett - Subban - 11
Riikola - Gudbranson 4.85
Ruh .700

Murray - Desmith - 5.00

~75.15

younger, faster, more hungry, better top 4D(can shelter riik/gud). this team would have great passing ability and speed. also have the cap space and flexibility to grab someone at the deadline.

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
It’s not that they’re not at all interested it’s just that they’re not interested in being at all fair about it.
apparently that's "baseless" to say on the trade board. i wasted two hours of my life talking about that rumor with an angry Coyotes fan who didn't think Chayka had the capacity to play hardball with anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad