Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | The Faster We Go the Rounder We Get

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yhat should've read "Pleks or a premium for Pageau."
Ah no worries.

Pageau, I get why people think he would be a great fit here, but the cost is just not worth it to me, personally.
Plekanec is a guy that doesn't look like he's devoid of talent now, he just looks like he's got no clue what the team is doing and is following that lead, which is why he interests me, the talent is still there, albeit aged, but you know the moment he gets to a team that is playoff bound he's going to give it 110% to make sure he goes out with a bang.
Granlund, they have Gagner playing LW on the 4th line right now and Granlund is RW to Sutter on the 3rd line, Granlund's faceoff stats are so bad they finally identified him as a winger.
O.Lindberg is also a guy I would love to acquire, he's a solid faceoff man and a natural C playing wing, he's actually a good C unlike Granlund.

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
This is OT, but someone on CapFriendly said Pens fans overrate their players way too much, but then proceeded to say Pacioretty is worth Maatta, Guentzel, Sprong, and a 1st . . .:laugh:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't think it makes sense to compare Granlund to Spooner, Granlund isn't awful defensively and he kills penalties. I'd actually use Guentzel as a comparison, although a severely watered down version of Guentzel. Guentzel has everything the Penguins want out of their 3C, he's just a ****ty center. Granlund has similar strengths to Guentzel, he's just a worse version. If Granlund can play center, he'd be great for that spot. Now, is that a gamble you want to make in February? Probably not, that's an October or November gamble for me tbh.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I don't think it makes sense to compare Granlund to Spooner, Granlund isn't awful defensively and he kills penalties. I'd actually use Guentzel as a comparison, although a severely watered down version of Guentzel. Guentzel has everything the Penguins want out of their 3C, he's just a ****ty center. Granlund has similar strengths to Guentzel, he's just a worse version. If Granlund can play center, he'd be great for that spot. Now, is that a gamble you want to make in February? Probably not, that's an October or November gamble for me tbh.

Just in terms of guys you can slot in as an offensive C was my point.
I agree with you that he's more Jake than Spooner but let's not pretend Jake is a regular PK'er either.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
This is OT, but someone on CapFriendly said Pens fans overrate their players way too much, but then proceeded to say Pacioretty is worth Maatta, Guentzel, Sprong, and a 1st . . .:laugh:
CF has a forum? lol.
lfV90gQ.gif

And hahaha...I wouldn't give them Guentzel straight up for Patches, or even Maatta. Good lord those guys are idiots.

Reactions: Shaffer

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

Quite the feather in his cap to be on the PK ranked 25th this year and 29th last year.

Well that's settled then.

uysUXKH.gif

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
CF has a forum? lol.
lfV90gQ.gif

And hahaha...I wouldn't give them Guentzel straight up for Patches, or even Maatta. Good lord those guys are idiots.
“but muh Pacioretty has scored 30 goals multiple times”

That’s his argument. I’m not lying.

EDIT: He also said Guentzel has never hit 35 points :laugh:

He got 33 points in 40 NHL games last year.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

Lol, Jake is also in his first full season and doing ok with a bit of a sophomore slump. It took Patches his 4th time to finally crack the Habs roster full time and only then did he become a 30+ goal scorer. Fans of Canadian teams are a special sort.

Jakes first 91 Games: 31, 27, 58pts (21pts in 25 playoff games).
Patches first 86 Games: 6, 19, 25pts. (0 playoff games at that point).

Hurr-durr Habs fans.

Reactions: Shaffer

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

Right... like the Pens don’t need to include Schultz.

Guentzel has more playoff points than Patches.

21 in 25
19 in 38
19 in 56

Guess who is who.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Right... like the Pens don’t need to include Schultz.

Guentzel has more playoff points than Patches.

21 in 25
19 in 38
19 in 56

Guess who is who.
Lol yeah, I get a kick out of people that think we overrate our prospects or players. It's not like a kid like Guentzel would not be highly coveted by literally every team in this league. Olli may be a step slower than he should be (fixable), but he's been a solid top 4 all season long, also young and signed, sure why wouldn't we hold him in high value? Lol. Then Sprong, our most dynamic winger drafted with a great scoring pedigree (Jake surprised most of us, Sprong was drafted higher for being as good as he was already) is someone we shouldn't value? We know in his case, we'd have to likely give him up for Patches, but not including those other two. I don't even know what kind of player that package would land.

A young forward already proving his worth.
A top 4 D, signed long term.
A potential top 6 winger.
A late pick in the 1st round (has been more than enough to land a solid prospect unless their scouting sucks)

That should net you a very very good player. Patches is good, but he's never been as good as he should have been and he's in his "prime" years.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Let's be very clear about something; Patches is a seriously good player and would make our offensive game immeasurably better. I don't know who I'd be willing to give up for him, certainly not Guentzel due to their cap hits, ages, and potential, but he'd be a fantastic acquisition. I'd do Maatta for Patches in a heartbeat, and I think Maatta's done a great job at rebounding after a couple of lackluster seasons.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Let's be very clear about something; Patches is a seriously good player and would make our offensive game immeasurably better. I don't know who I'd be willing to give up for him, certainly not Guentzel due to their cap hits, ages, and potential, but he'd be a fantastic acquisition. I'd do Maatta for Patches in a heartbeat, and I think Maatta's done a great job at rebounding after a couple of lackluster seasons.

I'd do Sheary, 1st, 3rd, and Sprong for Patches and Plekanec 50% retained.

That's about as far as I go with that.

And if they want Hunwick, by all means...

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
In general, I'm just against trading defenseman for wingers unless it's Hunwick. We need defenseman more than we need wingers.
Yeah, as awesome as patches our Kane would be on this team, we need improvements in defense and center, not wingers (or in goal). If we're spending assets on a winger it better be someone who isn't taking regular minutes or as part of a larger move.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yeah, as awesome as patches our Kane would be on this team, we need improvements in defense and center, not wingers (or in goal). If we're spending assets on a winger it better be someone who isn't taking regular minutes or as part of a larger move.

I think our top 5 are fine. People can refuse to believe that all they want, but they have to realize that Letang is coming off a lengthy layoff and he's a guy that works out trains hard during the off season and is ready months before camp, this time he was literally trying to get ready in like 2 weeks. His game will come. Dumoulin, Maatta, Schultz and Oleksiak are more than fine. I'd rather see Ruhwedel in the line-up over Cole & Hunwick just to balance the LHD and RHD but I am against moving the top 4 (Oleksiak I would rather not move at all as well) because it causes a bigger mess and is much much harder to fix. Way harder. Consider that defensemen that play a top 4 role on successful teams are still set at a premium and you quickly realize that to fix that again, you are then making a bigger mess somewhere else to get back what you had or improve upon it.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Part of me agrees that we're in need of blueliners more so than wingers, but part of me also thinks that Patches with either Sid or Geno would be incredible, and offense is going to win this team games. I'm not saying forsake the blueline entirely, but Sid and Geno (and their supporting cast of forwards) are what is going to win us Cups. We won last year on the back of stellar, timely offensive production from our big guns and unreal, clutch goaltending despite a pretty awful defensive effort most nights. Giving one Sid or Geno Patches goes a looooong way toward another Cup, imo.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Part of me agrees that we're in need of blueliners more so than wingers, but part of me also thinks that Patches with either Sid or Geno would be incredible, and offense is going to win this team games. I'm not saying forsake the blueline entirely, but Sid and Geno (and their supporting cast of forwards) are what is going to win us Cups. We won last year on the back of stellar, timely offensive production from our big guns and unreal, clutch goaltending despite a pretty awful defensive effort most nights. Giving one Sid or Geno Patches goes a looooong way toward another Cup, imo.

And that's obvious.

All I am saying is that don't sacrifice the D to make that happen. There's a way to make it happen. Even if we just target Patches from the Habs only and then pick up a relatively cheap 4th line C as well, I think I would be 100% ok losing Sheary, Sprong, and the 1st for Patches. I'd even given them Lauzon if they asked for it. That's the extent of how far I would go prospects/players wise.

1st 2018
Sheary
Sprong
Lauzon

for

Pacioretty

That's a hefty package, but Patches is signed for a couple of years, it shores up the left side, our right side is beyond fine even with that trade (Horny, Kessel, Rust, and Simon can shift to the RW as well).

Pacioretty, Crosby, Simon
Hagelin, Malkin, Hornqvist
Guentzel, Sheahan, Kessel
Kuhnhackl, Dea/Trade, Rust

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Tavares going to Tampa would be brutal for the East.

McDavid, Crosby and Malkin are the only centers I’d take over JT.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Honestly, I was starting to think this when I started looking into guys like Shaw and Danault, but this Shore discussion really hammered it in. The Penguins could probably get an extremely comparable center to Pageau for either 2 2nds or a late 1st straight up, so why move Sprong for that? That's also ignoring there are lesser options available, too.

Pageau would be a very good get. But there's just too many other centers out there who have stats that are just too similar for it to make sense to go in full hog on JGP.
Honestly, I am curious to try Dea with Guentzel and Kessel and see how that works, stylistically, he's quick and would work better with those two and Sheahan would work better with Kuhnhackl and Rust, it'd allow all 4 lines to be played more rather than 3 lines and the 4th line sort of getting minutes.

We would need to see a willingness from Sullivan to play him more than 6 minutes a game.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Tavares going to Tampa would be brutal for the East.

McDavid, Crosby and Malkin are the only centers I’d take over JT.

Tavares is posturing, he won't leave the Island (he'll probably get around 10m/yr for 7yrs). To pay him what he would want and let's be real, he's going to want his market value since it will be his final contract, would be crippling to the Bolts.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Pageau would be a very good get. But there's just too many other centers out there who have stats that are just too similar for it to make sense to go in full hog on JGP.

Yeah, that's the vibe I'm getting. Not only are there too many available centers, but there are also probably centers that aren't technically available, but JR can possibly pull off in a trade. Someone like Shore could fit that bill, a guy who's not "available" but JR could convince Nill to trade him.

Right now, my #1 target is Danault because I think it's feasible to get him for a 1st as the main piece.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I think our top 5 are fine. People can refuse to believe that all they want, but they have to realize that Letang is coming off a lengthy layoff and he's a guy that works out trains hard during the off season and is ready months before camp, this time he was literally trying to get ready in like 2 weeks. His game will come. Dumoulin, Maatta, Schultz and Oleksiak are more than fine. I'd rather see Ruhwedel in the line-up over Cole & Hunwick just to balance the LHD and RHD but I am against moving the top 4 (Oleksiak I would rather not move at all as well) because it causes a bigger mess and is much much harder to fix. Way harder. Consider that defensemen that play a top 4 role on successful teams are still set at a premium and you quickly realize that to fix that again, you are then making a bigger mess somewhere else to get back what you had or improve upon it.

We have good D but Dumo, Letang and Maatta have a flaw that really stick out. Different would be better. Adding a really good skater would be awesome.

I’d almost rather trying to get 3 middle pairs than a top, middle and bottom. Not sure how we go about that or if it’s realistic. I think we’d be better off though.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
On Granlund, he's an offensive center that is forced into heavy DZ starts due to injuries it looks like this season.
He's getting 61.1% DZ starts 5on5 and 58.4% in all situations. All while being not very good at FO's.
Compare that to last season where he got more OZ starts and produced more.

He also spent most of the year on the wing last year. This year he has 70% more FO's and played 20 less games. There's a lot of players I'd be willing to gamble on working out there. Granlund isn't one of them.
"That should've read "Pleks or a premium for Pageau."
You're right on Granlund but he'd be no different than a Spooner type acquisition.

At least Spooner spends more time in the middle then Granlund does. I'd even be more willing to gamble on Spooner then Granlund - and I do not want Spooner here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad