Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | The Faster We Go the Rounder We Get

Status
Not open for further replies.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Pretty likely a STL or CGY(probably a few others) pay the price for a Patches atm but i wouldn't leave out the possibility of JR going for the Patches+Pleks at 50% retained package.

Believe JR would only have to clear 2.74M(the total pro-rated cap hit today) to fit both in atm. Can easily do that with Sheary being involved(i think thats how it works?).

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Pacioretty is probably going to somewhere like St. Louis, which is a hilarious match. Put the guy who sucks in the playoffs on the team that sucks in the playoffs, this should work :laugh:

I do hope they get a center for Pacioretty so they're more willing to trade Danault.

Reactions: Peat

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Are you willing to give up Sheary+Sprong+Lauzon+1st for Pacioretty?

Wow, talk about gutting our prospect pool, and for a player who's a luxury and not necessarily a need? JR would have to be out of his mind if he gave up all those assets and neglected our hole at center. Holy cow!

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Just to have a bit of fun, if Patches did come here with whats currently working where would you put him?

Beside Sid? 3rd line LW? Break up HGH?

For me, i'd probably simply drop him beside Sid to start.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Pretty likely a STL or CGY(probably a few others) pay the price for a Patches atm but i wouldn't leave out the possibility of JR going for the Patches+Pleks at 50% retained package.

Believe JR would only have to clear 2.74M(the total pro-rated cap hit today) to fit both in atm. Can easily do that with Sheary being involved(i think thats how it works?).

Flames dont need him, he would be on their 3rd line, they need a top line right winger.

I could get behind a Pacioretty and Plekanec trade. If they retained Id go for Sheary, Sprong and a 2nd or 1st. The window is now and by the time Sprong is ready for a top 6 role it might be closed.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Pacioretty is probably going to somewhere like St. Louis, which is a hilarious match. Put the guy who sucks in the playoffs on the team that sucks in the playoffs, this should work :laugh:

I do hope they get a center for Pacioretty so they're more willing to trade Danault.

I think the "Patch sucks in the POs" is overblown. Patch has never been on a good team. Even when Montreal was playing okay and made the POs, his teams had no depth and were always weak up front and especially in the middle. And other than last year (where he really laid an egg) his numbers have been okay. Not great, but certainly not "sucks in the POs" bad.

12/13: 4GP, 0/0
13/14: 17GP, 5g/11pts
14/15" 11GP, 5g/7pts

My issue with him is A) he's going to cost way too much considering the term he has left and what his next contract will be and B) only provides more of what we already have. If we're going to bring in a winger, bring in someone that adds something new to the equation. Yes he's better and more skilled then every winger we have other than Kessel, but skilled non-physical wingers is far from a need for this team.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Why adding a No. 3 center is the Penguins' No. 1 priority

Translation: we need a center who can exploit Phil at ES, because what we got ain't getting it done.

Good to hear the coach say what most here already figured out though.

Well they would have it, but the guy that would work better on that 3rd line with the 3c is now with Malkin from here on out, so now there's a situation of 2 wingers with a C that don't mesh well as a trio, no fault of any of those 3 players at all imo.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Just to have a bit of fun, if Patches did come here with whats currently working where would you put him?

Beside Sid? 3rd line LW? Break up HGH?

For me, i'd probably simply drop him beside Sid to start.

The only way Patches coming here makes sense for us is a move in which we move Sheary and futures for him as an upgrade on Sheary's role - at which point, he's taking Sheary's role as Sid's LW. Simon can play RW.

Really doubt that's a goer though. I'm more excited by the possibility that Empoleon raises of Montreal bringing back a centre and being willing to trade Danault. I think they'd have to be mental to trade him but he, as far as I can say, our best hope of trading for that borderline 2C 3C who we can keep long term at a decent cap hit. I'd be willing to spend quite big to get him.

Reactions: Riptide

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Habs are short on quality C's and know it all too well. Hence they choose to trade a young, bargain quasi top6 C, local boy with upside to boot, for not very much at all.
------

We should definitely debate this option with much vigor :D .

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Habs are short on quality C's and know it all too well. Hence they choose to trade a young, bargain quasi top6 C, local boy with upside to boot, for not very much at all.
------

Argument Against - They've had to be absolutely mad to do it

Argument For - They're absolutely mad

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Is Byron the dude that took a Weber shot to the dome?

I'm surprised he's not LTIR'd with PTSD and severe PCS, let alone play again.

------

Wait, who?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Oh, and I forgot who mentioned the possibility of Cole to Winnipeg to cover their Trouba injury in exchange for Lowry, but that would be awesome if doable... is he a Kessel fit though?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Zacha is a guy that hasn't really blossomed in NJ yet, I wonder if maybe he's a guy JR can swoop and pick up from them. Or maybe he really really wants an established 3C instead. Zacha would be pretty sweet though.

I'd rather let those two over pay for Patches and pretend like that is the missing piece, lol. It'd be freaking hilarious to see it go down. It'd be good for Bergevin too because man he could really bend both teams over a barrel if he was smart enough.

Patches is a pipe dream, JR probably kicked the tires. Bergevin is also a guy that won't trade to a team because he doesn't want that player to embarrass him after, I mean let's let that sink in, that's actually how Marc thinks. In his mind, probably easier to swallow that sort of idiocy if he's sent the guy to the West and rarely faces him.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Oh, and I forgot who mentioned the possibility of Cole to Winnipeg to cover their Trouba injury in exchange for Lowry, but that would be awesome if doable... is he a Kessel fit though?

They're also missing Scheifele, so they are more than likely just happy to get some C depth back instead of moving him to fix the hole left by Trouba. For now anyway.

They're set to go Wheeler-Little-Lowry-Hendricks down the middle.

They've had Copp play C alot and Matthias with Lowry mostly playing W.

A lot of guys they have that were drafted as "C" are playing W for them mostly because they're pretty damn deep on forward. Like Wheeler, he's a winger but he has played C before in Boston.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Someone in the Pittsburgh Penguins Center thread in the Trade Forum mentioned Brock Nelson, I wish that could actually happen, dude is massive, good hands, a monster in the corners and physical, the perfect compliment to that 3C role with Jake and Phil.

I have heard the Isles are shopping him and supposedly the Devils were interested, so maybe Snow really doesn't care as long as he gets what he wants. I wonder WHAT it is they want. Quine and Czikias can play C as well if Brock is moved, could they (would they) covet Sheary + 1st, and Cole?

Edit: The more I think about it, the more I think the Isles could definitely use more depth scorers, I know they think Ho-Sang isn't ready, but man....their winger depth is beyond dreadful.

Fritz? Johnston? Chimera is looking pretty done. Jesus christ their winger depth after the top 6 is hilariously bad, really really bad. Hell they could use Rowney even and he'd actually be a massive upgrade in the bottom 6 for them.

That guy is an offensive blackhole. Don't get me started on Shero's draft.
I'm just trying to cover as much ground as I can with "other" names. Kind of sick of hearing Pageau.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Someone in the Pittsburgh Penguins Center thread in the Trade Forum mentioned Brock Nelson, I wish that could actually happen, dude is massive, good hands, a monster in the corners and physical, the perfect compliment to that 3C role with Jake and Phil.

I have heard the Isles are shopping him and supposedly the Devils were interested, so maybe Snow really doesn't care as long as he gets what he wants. I wonder WHAT it is they want. Quine and Czikias can play C as well if Brock is moved, could they (would they) covet Sheary + 1st, and Cole?

Edit: The more I think about it, the more I think the Isles could definitely use more depth scorers, I know they think Ho-Sang isn't ready, but man....their winger depth is beyond dreadful.

Fritz? Johnston? Chimera is looking pretty done. Jesus christ their winger depth after the top 6 is hilariously bad, really really bad. Hell they could use Rowney even and he'd actually be a massive upgrade in the bottom 6 for them.

I'm just trying to cover as much ground as I can with "other" names. Kind of sick of hearing Pageau.

I would definitely be able to live with that trade, even if the price seems a little high at the moment.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I would definitely be able to live with that trade, even if the price seems a little high at the moment.
Brock Nelson would be nuts on this team. Even if they moved him to LW and still went after a C in the off season, that kid is a monster.

Guentzel, Crosby, Simon
Hagelin, Malkin, Hornqvist
Rust, Nelson, Kessel
Kuhnhackl, Sheahan, Rowney

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK

From what Isles fans say he's got an excellent shot but is better on the wing than at centre. He doesn't seem to PK much or be good on faceoffs and he's not a hitter though he does have good size.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Well they would have it, but the guy that would work better on that 3rd line with the 3c is now with Malkin from here on out, so now there's a situation of 2 wingers with a C that don't mesh well as a trio, no fault of any of those 3 players at all imo.

That's a pretty optimistic take on RS with PK. Sheahan has never worked with Kessel despite a lot of opportunities and it's anything but guaranteed that Hagelin would be the magic ingredient to finally make it work. I'm sure not willing to bet the season on it.

You are way more polite than I am.

I try. Lord, how I try. :laugh:

Last edited:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
That's a pretty optimistic take on RS with PK. Sheahan has never worked with Kessel despite a lot of opportunities and it's anything but guaranteed that Hagelin would be the magic ingredient to finally make it work. I'm sure not willing to bet the season on it.

I thought he was talking about how we could use Horny with Sheahan to get a good third line, not moving Hagelin.

That said - without saying bet the season on it or that it'll deffo work or anything of the sort - putting Rust on Kessel's line is probably the best short term fix we've got.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Tavares is posturing, he won't leave the Island (he'll probably get around 10m/yr for 7yrs). To pay him what he would want and let's be real, he's going to want his market value since it will be his final contract, would be crippling to the Bolts.

Dudes going to get a lot more than that. Try 12x8

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
Wow, talk about gutting our prospect pool, and for a player who's a luxury and not necessarily a need? JR would have to be out of his mind if he gave up all those assets and neglected our hole at center. Holy cow!
That’s what I’m saying. I’m not willing to completely gut our future for a winger who will only be here for 2 years.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I thought he was talking about how we could use Horny with Sheahan to get a good third line, not moving Hagelin.

That said - without saying bet the season on it or that it'll deffo work or anything of the sort - putting Rust on Kessel's line is probably the best short term fix we've got.

Jesus. Well I sure as hell wouldn't want Sheahan and Hornqvist as 2/3 of my 3rd line going into the playoffs.

Thankfully the coach and GM seem to be on the same page there.

Reactions: Shady Machine
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->