Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | Tell me where it hurts you and I'll tell you who to call

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
JR basically saying most of what he said to Mackey.
Said he waived McKegg to see what he has on the farm.
Believes the roster as is should get better results but if they slip further out of the hunt/get further away from 1st in the Metro, he'll be forced to shake things up.
Also mentioned he's looking forward to seeing more of what he has on the farm and Billy Guerin, working with Donatelli, ultimately make the decision on who should move up/is ready for an NHL spin.

Some other things i caught:

-team misses MAF's in the room/play and he also mentioned Bones and Cullen specifically on that front.
-that they get spurts of good play out of this roster but simply not consistent enough over 3 periods every night

Regardless of how we're doing he should be pursuing a 3c in earnest anyhow. Which by all accounts he is. When we won four in a row it helped bide some time. nonetheless I'm sure there is a sense of urgency. And if we're gonna make a big move, Letang is obviously gonna command the biggest return. If JR can swing it, go big or go home!

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If JR is looking for another center and more production out of the forward lines it would make sense to me that a major shakeup trade would have to be a def for a forward.

If your trading a forward for a forward i'm not sure how much that will help you get more production.

It makes sense if the Penguins think that Simon can be a contributor in a top-9 role immediately. If the Penguins could replace Sheary with Simon, trading Sheary for a 3C makes sense.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Also, listening to that segment to see if i missed anything, JR keeps calling Tristan Jarry, Christian/Christan. :oops:

Oh yea, another thing JR mentioned was he believes if the cap jumps up to 80 there will be more teams who simply can't spend to the cap except for the big market ones. Like theres already teams who have internal caps but there will be more...

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
If JR is looking for another center and more production out of the forward lines it would make sense to me that a major shakeup trade would have to be a def for a forward.

If your trading a forward for a forward i'm not sure how much that will help you get more production.
Hagelin for a more offensive-minded player would help you get more production. Although, as others have said, he probably doesn't have much value right now so it would have to be for another guy who's struggling.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Next little while? When? When the team is completely out of the playoffs and has an interesting hill to climb? Flyers had a lengthy losing streak and is 4pts behind. JR waiting, would have made sense 2 weeks ago. At this point in time, just seems stupid.

Either shit, or get off the pot old man.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
It makes sense if the Penguins think that Simon can be a contributor in a top-9 role immediately. If the Penguins could replace Sheary with Simon, trading Sheary for a 3C makes sense.

I guess its possible, but i don't see Sheary getting traded, left wing is already a weakness on this team, i don't think they can afford to trade one of their best left wingers unless another left winger is coming back in the trade.

Trading one of your 4 left handed def makes a lot more sense to me

Maatta
Dumoulin
Cole
Hunwick

I don't know what JR definition of major shake up trade is, but mine would be Maatta or Dumoulin from those 4 players.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Despite what peeps will say about TIOPS, targeting Pouliot does make sense to me.
Ultimately, like i've been saying JR wants a beef up @ LW and a 3C with Hags and one D of their chosing gone eventually to comfortably pay Horny.

A 1:1, yeah it makes sense. I would have to see a plus on Hags in order to make a decision if Botts won't do 1:1.

If Haula is available because GMGM has a crush on Cole, I explore that. I stay the **** out of trying to go for Duchene.

Oh 100% explore that. Haula would be a major asset to bring in.

Interesting...
GRENADEEEEE! Heh.

Can this be "the signal"? Like when we think it's about to happen...we post Grenaaaaaaaaaaaaaade! in some form?

You know what...I'm not even asking or calling for a vote...that's what we're doing. Get on board.

I think an excellent comparable for Hagelin's value is what Colin Wilson was traded for over the summer, which was a 2019 4th round pick. Wilson was a lot better last year than Hagelin so far this year, but Hagelin also has the cup rings and defensive play on his side and the Predators likely undersold Wilson in an effort to quickly get cap space. He has borderline no value, but he could be traded for another struggling guy that has borderline no value.

Too tough to gauge values from last summer due to the expansion draft. I do believe Colin Wilson is worth more than a 4th. I think the number of teams that were available to make that move were limited. Wilson for Hagelin would be an equal value trade.

Does anyone know if Pageau has ever played any wing during his career? I was thinking of something along the lines of Letang for Pageau, Brassard and a first and then maybe Sprong, Jarry, Hagelin and picks for OEL

You get Pageau here and I think he could work at any position. Another major score.

With a number of younger guys in WBS still, I think they could safely do that. It better be a major 3C though like Pageau.

Jake-Sid-Simon
Rust-Malkin-Kessel
Hags-Pageau-Horny
Kuhn-Sheahn-Rowney

More ideally, Sprong in for Hags, Hags replaces Kuhn.

Reactions: OGBobbyFarnham

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Next little while? When? When the team is completely out of the playoffs and has an interesting hill to climb? Flyers had a lengthy losing streak and is 4pts behind. JR waiting, would have made sense 2 weeks ago. At this point in time, just seems stupid.

Either ****, or get off the pot old man.

I mean, i think he'd make a trade right this second if he could but just calling a GM and saying, "hey, i want/like this guy." leads to "he's not available." or a call back saying "we'd be interested in this and this(something JR wouldn't be willing to pay atm)." and the dance goes back and forth as the season rolls along to the TDL.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Sens are really weak at Left D, i mean they got Johnny Oduya playing with Karlsson last time i checked.

Sens are pretty deep at center, Duchene Brassard Pageau Smith Thompson.

I could definitely see how a Dumoulin/Maatta for Brassard/Pageau trade helps both teams.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I'm bigger on Brassard and Smith than Pageau. Great support player but need more size/jam that i believe the others provide more. Going further, i'd say Brassard would be the C i'd want...

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

Either ****, or get off the pot old man.

Says the guy taking a dump while reading Hfboards on his iPad...

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Brassard would be an excellent catch, but I don't think that would work out with either assets or cap space. It's not unmanageable though, it is possible to afford him. It just wouldn't be very easy.

I think Sheary for Pageau would probably be easier to work out, to be honest. I'm not comfortable moving either Dumoulin or Maatta for Brassard, Maatta is too young for me to move for a 30 year old Brassard and Dumoulin is too important to the defense.

Edit: If I'm trading Maatta, I want someone like ROR back. That's something I'd do instantly.

Last edited:

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
Maybe Jiggy can answer this best, but for anyone who watches wbs, does Simon have a preferred wing? Hes here as a RW but I swore he was more of a LW in camp.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Kirk mentioned it before, but does OTT really want to deal with us? I suspect the only way they would if it's for a massive over payment.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Says the guy taking a dump while reading Hfboards on his iPad...

Listen, I said you can watch me on webcam only if you stayed quiet, we had a deal and I feel betrayed.

Last time I trust someone, I'll be returning your payment of Ho Ho's and Wagon Wheels shortly, sans a few packages.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Kirk mentioned it before, but does OTT really want to deal with us? I suspect the only way they would if it's a massive over payment.

As long as we have that report by Pittsburgh CSI of Cooke's hatched up plan to maim Karlsson, we have a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad