Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | Tell me where it hurts you and I'll tell you who to call

Status
Not open for further replies.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I wish Hags made like 2.5 mil like Hansen, because he’d still be worth it at that price as a “go to” 4th liner. Much like Grabs in New York.

Sure, but if he'd been making 2.5M, then Anaheim would've gotten more for him than Perron. ;)

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Getzoff sat down with JR today and that will be played on radio pre-game tomorrow. Not that he'll tell you everything but always worth a listen.

ETA: Looks like Mackey hit on most of the stuff i wanted to hear about from JR.

Last edited:

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I wonder what "major shakeup" could be. Core player gone? wont be the coach obviously, the guy has not even lost a playoff series with us.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I wonder what "major shakeup" could be. Core player gone? wont be the coach obviously, the guy has not even lost a playoff series with us.

Yeah, you run into problems with what defines a major shakeup.

Letang would be the biggest given his time here and importance over that time. Then you’d drop down a tier to I guess someone like Dumoulin, Schultz or Maatta? Then players like Hagelin, Sheary and Cole? Cole is a UFA after this season but I’d say those are the guys who you could see any chance of a trade and who'd have an impact in one way or another. Possibly throw Hornqvist in.

If I had to guess, you’re realistically looking at Cole and hagelin. They might be soured on Letang but I bet jr gets lowballed enough with him to undermine it.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Oh geez my body is ready

Although I read that as "close to big trade", so the actual article is less concerning.

ALTHOUGH JR isn't just going to come out and say 'I'm looking for a major trade'.

Remember, the freeze is in a week. Odds of anything big happening before then are very remote. He could work on it over the freeze and announce just after, but that's 2 weeks from now, which would qualify as 'a little bit'. To me, 'close to considering a major trade' doesn't mean he's going to wait to do the legwork.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Perron for Hagelin was an effective move when both players were struggling. I wonder if we end up retaining 1m on Hags and deal him for someone else in a similar situation. I love the guy but he's quickly losing relevance on this team.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Yeah, you run into problems with what defines a major shakeup.

Letang would be the biggest given his time here and importance over that time. Then you’d drop down a tier to I guess someone like Dumoulin, Schultz or Maatta? Then players like Hagelin, Sheary and Cole? Cole is a UFA after this season but I’d say those are the guys who you could see any chance of a trade and who'd have an impact in one way or another. Possibly throw Hornqvist in.

If I had to guess, you’re realistically looking at Cole and hagelin. They might be soured on Letang but I bet jr gets lowballed enough with him to undermine it.

1. Cole and Hagelin isn't a major shakeup.

2. Cole and Sheary have are on a tier about in terms of value compared to Hagelin. Hagelin has very little value at best.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

Could be relevant to the Penguins.

I can guarantee you that if Karlsson is available, then JR has asked. I still can't see a Melnyk owned team doing it. Like Karmanos in Carolina. There's just so much owner antipathy for the Penguins organization that it's hard to envision a GM getting the green light to do something major that could help the Pens three peat.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think an excellent comparable for Hagelin's value is what Colin Wilson was traded for over the summer, which was a 2019 4th round pick. Wilson was a lot better last year than Hagelin so far this year, but Hagelin also has the cup rings and defensive play on his side and the Predators likely undersold Wilson in an effort to quickly get cap space. He has borderline no value, but he could be traded for another struggling guy that has borderline no value.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I think an excellent comparable for Hagelin's value is what Colin Wilson was traded for over the summer, which was a 2019 4th round pick. Wilson was a lot better last year than Hagelin so far this year, but Hagelin also has the cup rings and defensive play on his side and the Predators likely undersold Wilson in an effort to quickly get cap space. He has borderline no value, but he could be traded for another struggling guy that has borderline no value.

It is my understanding that you are right on the money here . . . that it's going to take something creative like this to move him.

UNLESS . . . you were making a deal with someone involving significant futures (Sprong, 1st) and used Hags as cap space to get better than a borderline guy. I am NOT advocating that. Just spitballing the possibility . . .

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
1. Cole and Hagelin isn't a major shakeup.

2. Cole and Sheary have are on a tier about in terms of value compared to Hagelin. Hagelin has very little value at best.

I think it’s a fairly significant shakeup and it’s not because of Hagelin's value. Two guys who were there for both runs isn’t small off ice.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
Does anyone know if Pageau has ever played any wing during his career? I was thinking of something along the lines of Letang for Pageau, Brassard and a first and then maybe Sprong, Jarry, Hagelin and picks for OEL

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Does anyone know if Pageau has ever played any wing during his career? I was thinking of something along the lines of Letang for Pageau, Brassard and a first and then maybe Sprong, Jarry, Hagelin and picks for OEL

I’m pretty sure he hasn’t solely played center. Especially when Spezza was still there.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
I’m pretty sure he hasn’t solely played center. Especially when Spezza was still there.

Interesting. My thought if a deal like that happened would be to run

Sheary Sid Hornqvist
Guentzel/Pageau Malkin Kessel
Guentzel/Pageau Brassard Rust
Simon Sheahan Rowney

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
JR basically saying most of what he said to Mackey.
Said he waived McKegg to see what he has on the farm.
Believes the roster as is should get better results but if they slip further out of the hunt/get further away from 1st in the Metro, he'll be forced to shake things up.
Also mentioned he's looking forward to seeing more of what he has on the farm and Billy Guerin, working with Donatelli, ultimately make the decision on who should move up/is ready for an NHL spin.

Some other things i caught:

-team misses MAF's in the room/play and he also mentioned Bones and Cullen specifically on that front.
-that they get spurts of good play out of this roster but simply not consistent enough over 3 periods every night

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
giphy.gif

I told u not 2 dox me, KREK.

Reactions: KIRK
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad