Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | Silver and gold won't buy back the beat of a heart grown cold

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
At least in Hunwick's case, he was given his shot with Maatta before Ruh was. I don't really disagree in general that they are better players, but I still stick to my point that Ruh is currently playing better than they are.

Yeah, but on the right side which he hasn’t looked comfortable doing here. Ruhwedel is currently playing better than them.

Hunwick has also just struggled since his concussion after looking like he was figuring things out. I guess that’s a factor.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
JR does seem to be wanting to make a splash on the wing and he's probably looking at rentals @ the 3C position cuz it just seems the longer term C's he's looking at may take more time to get.

I really don't know how big he is on Kane BUT i do know JR does his homework. Before the Kessel deal, he went deep researching his charachter and so on.

Friedman does expect a bigger splash from JR and if we're talking Buffalo i gotta think that means atleast Pouliot and maybe Kane. Can't see Botts letting go of ROR...

The "bigger splash" also points to a BUF or FLA(Kane, ROR, Bjugstad).
I consider them much bigger additions than anything out of EDM minus RNH(who i doubts available anyway)...

Last edited:

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Well if he's going to go big then GO BIG! because 3 peats don't come around every day. The team needs a huge wakeup call, get what we need. We can always settle for this crappy play and see how we are by the playoffs but if we want another cup we need to do something big to shake up the team. But go big, not go stupid.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
I'm starting to warm up to the idea about Kane because at first I wanted nothing to do with him. If we are changing to the dynamics of becoming a big physical team then I would think Kane could fit?

I also agree with the consensus of getting away from our identity of rolling 4 lines of speed and skill. But I also have a theory that JR changed the dynamics to try to stay ahead of every other team that had the book on us and trying to copy cat what we did the last 2 years. That is the only thing I could think of besides protecting our stars.

It may not be the case. But its a thought

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I've been an advocate of bringing Kane in if we can do it without giving up a ton since he's a rental. Perfect player for our needs.
But he is the "prime Kunitz" replacement for Malkin's LW with better offensive abilities. It would be a waste to play him on the third line and I don't think they would. He'd play with Sid or Geno. I think they'd still need a replacement for Sheahan and slide him to 4C to maximize their Cup chances. Sheahan has been widely inconsistent, even with his defense. Unless he has untapped playoff-2016 Bonino potential, I don't think he's going to provide us anything in the POs

I have heard nothing but bad things about Kane playing with elite players. Kane has issues with tunnel vision, I seriously question whether he'd work with other players who like to hold the puck. It's not even a case of "not enough puck to go around" like people thought might be the case with Kessel and Crosby/Malkin, it's just a case of Kane having tunnel vision like Tyler Kennedy.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I have heard nothing but bad things about Kane playing with elite players. Kane has issues with tunnel vision, I seriously question whether he'd work with other players who like to hold the puck. It's not even a case of "not enough puck to go around" like people thought might be the case with Kessel and Crosby/Malkin, it's just a case of Kane having tunnel vision like Tyler Kennedy.

Hornqvist has tunnel vision also and a large faction of people on here lose their shit that he isn't surgically attached to Crosby hip.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Hunwick? Reaves? Niemi?

Whats wrong with Hunwick? His deal is far from an anchor type.
Niemi was given a chance by JR and JR could only afford an under 1M backup.
Stars wanted a tough guy. JR got the best tough guy in the league.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I'm starting to warm up to the idea about Kane because at first I wanted nothing to do with him. If we are changing to the dynamics of becoming a big physical team then I would think Kane could fit?

I also agree with the consensus of getting away from our identity of rolling 4 lines of speed and skill. But I also have a theory that JR changed the dynamics to try to stay ahead of every other team that had the book on us and trying to copy cat what we did the last 2 years. That is the only thing I could think of besides protecting our stars.

It may not be the case. But its a thought

So build a tall, fast, physical team? less migits getting thrown around into the boards all game.

Reactions: NEPA

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Kane has the ability to cause havoc sorta like Horny. Heres the shot chart just from tonight :

DRsuZ7gW4AAOFwv.jpg

Thats a guy who gets to the danger areas regularly. I know it's vs PHI but still. He'd be a solid option to play with Sid if they refuse to put Horny up there.

Reactions: Extra Texture

CommissionerGordon

Mar 10, 2017
Whats wrong with Hunwick? His deal is far from an anchor type.
Niemi was given a chance by JR and JR could only afford an under 1M backup.
Stars wanted a tough guy. JR got the best tough guy in the league.

At face value the moves have been disappointing. You seem like someone that wants to stir the pot if you're defending these moves. I better watch out for you. The best part about Hunwick is his term and salary. Niemi has been done for years. You don't need a tough guy. Which brings me to my next point. Don't smoke c***k

CommissionerGordon

Mar 10, 2017
If you do want a tough guy, you get Evander Kane. Why? He can shoot, he can skate, and he score. Off the ice. I like my players dipping in the kool-aid in their free time. Confidence.

And he plays with Malkin. Sprong probably at RW unless Sid wants him in which case Rusty would be line 2

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Sometimes you have to point out what JR may have been thinking with his moves thecoolkid. PensX isn't capable of thinking that way. Was all i was pointing out to him...

And yea, Kane would/could play with either Sid/G, i just like him with Sid if they refuse to put Horny up there.

CommissionerGordon

Mar 10, 2017
And that makes Hornqvist expendable joining Dumoulin plus Jarry/draft pick in an upgrade defense move for... you guessed it OEL

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
And that makes Hornqvist expendable joining Dumoulin plus Jarry/draft pick in an upgrade defense move for... you guessed it OEL
okay but what else are you adding to get OEL? And by adding, I mean what is the centerpiece? Because Dumoulin isn't going to be the centerpiece of that deal, and a rental Hornqvist is pretty close to valueless for them.

Reactions: Extra Texture

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009

Actually a decent point. Well done.
I'd put it as may make him expendable.

Gotta wonder if you trade for Kane if it's not a sign and trade(trade/sign) tho...

CommissionerGordon

Mar 10, 2017
Sometimes you have to point out what JR may have been thinking with his moves thecoolkid. PensX isn't capable of thinking that way. Was all i was pointing out to him...

And yea, Kane would/could play with either Sid/G, i just like him with Sid if they refuse to put Horny up there.

Being the operative phrase. Bc sometimes JR doesn't think

CommissionerGordon

Mar 10, 2017
okay but what else are you adding to get OEL? And by adding, I mean what is the centerpiece? Because Dumoulin isn't going to be the centerpiece of that deal, and a rental Hornqvist is pretty close to valueless for them.

Tristan Jarry is actually the centerpiece. And people can't stand it. The kid stops pucks. Two more games they'll recognize him as the 12th best save pct in the league

Horny must waive NTC and sign extension for the deal to have any chance

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Tristan Jarry is actually the centerpiece. And people can't stand it. The kid stops pucks. Two more games they'll recognize him as the 12th best save pct in the league

Horny must waive NTC and sign extension for the deal to have any chance
No, Tristan Jarry will not be the centerpiece. They'd love to have him probably, but he's got nowhere near that level of trade value. And Horny signing there without testing free-agency is ridiculously unlikely.

CommissionerGordon

Mar 10, 2017
Actually a decent point. Well done.
I'd put it as may make him expendable.

Gotta wonder if you trade for Kane if it's not a sign and trade(trade/sign) tho...

I wouldn't even consider trading for Kane unless it was a sign-and-trade. I'm not p*****g away assets. Probably looking at a 1st plus Sheary? Maybe get something back in return

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC

Hey no team would stop us if we are build around tall guys who can skate fast and break the other team in half all while still playing hockey and ignoring the post whistle stuff because who would even wanna mess with that team after the whistle. Of course that team is IMPOSSIBLE to have in a cap era.

CommissionerGordon

Mar 10, 2017
No, Tristan Jarry will not be the centerpiece. They'd love to have him probably, but he's got nowhere near that level of trade value. And Horny signing there without testing free-agency is ridiculously unlikely.

I know that's why I said you couldn't stand it. But the kid is a #1 goalie. Just like how Murray was a few years back. I would actually take Jarry over Murray going forward. Credibility lost. Not that you had any anyway.

Murray is just a net clogger. Luongo. Now with our s*** defense they have more opportunities bc we're not clearing our zone or turning over in neutral zone and it's leading to more chances and the result is more goals.

This Jarry kid is a shot stopper. Brodeur. He just finds ways to stop the puck. You can put him on an island and he's still stopping 0.92

Edit: given our defensive situation today

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Hey no team would stop us if we are build around tall guys who can skate fast and break the other team in half all while still playing hockey and ignoring the post whistle stuff because who would even wanna mess with that team after the whistle. Of course that team is IMPOSSIBLE to have in a cap era.

Lee -- Crosby -- Hornqvist
Kane -- Geno -- Perry

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I know that's why I said you couldn't stand it. But the kid is a #1 goalie. Just like how Murray was a few years back. I would actually take Jarry over Murray going forward. Credibility lost. Not that you had any anyway.

Murray is just a net clogger. Now with our s*** defense they have more opportunities bc we're not clearing our zone or turning over in neutral zone and it's leading to more chances and the result is more goals.

This Jarry kid is a shot stopper. He just finds ways to stop the puck. You can put him on an island and he's still stopping 0.92

Edit: given our defensive situation today
Ihfk58k.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad