Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | Silver and gold won't buy back the beat of a heart grown cold

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
It does blow my mind people watch these games and think it's a skill issue and not an issue with mental/physical exhaustion/lack of focus/energy/lack of attention to detail.

I think, more than anything, JR had a good idea of new blood but he didn't (probably couldn't) get the new blood in he needed. We need hungry players more than anything right now.
When do we get our 5 day break? Each team gets one this year. And that's in addition to the AS break.

But I agree with the new blood thing - even if it's just a couple of rookies from WBS getting a game here or there. Call up Dipauli for a couple of games. Then give Sprong a couple. Call them up and let them know they're only here for a set number of games, and then someone else will get a shot. See how that goes. I mean it can't be any worse then what we have currently.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Just to play Devil's Advocate, do you look around the league and see a skilled D in the vein of Daley or Schultz who could be had for a salary dump (Hagelin, f/e)? I'm not sure I do.

GMs react to changing circumstances--especially when it's a multiple cup winner who set the example--and it might be that the cat's out of the bag on what can happen when you sell low on offensive players on the blueline. In a 180 of what we all expected, the center position might be easier to fix than defense.

Honestly, about the best I see that could be had for cheap would be Garrison. And I think he's more Cole level then Daley. But if we're looking for a dirt cheap rental who might be able to help, he's about the only one I can think of.

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
When do we get our 5 day break? Each team gets one this year. And that's in addition to the AS break.

But I agree with the new blood thing - even if it's just a couple of rookies from WBS getting a game here or there. Call up Dipauli for a couple of games. Then give Sprong a couple. Call them up and let them know they're only here for a set number of games, and then someone else will get a shot. See how that goes. I mean it can't be any worse then what we have currently.
2nd week in January

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Honestly, about the best I see that could be had for cheap would be Garrison. And I think he's more Cole level then Daley. But if we're looking for a dirt cheap rental who might be able to help, he's about the only one I can think of.

Garrison's a rich man's Cole, but he's got a fantastic point shot, which we could certainly use for an option in the offensive zone. Problem is he doesn't strike me as a guy who's going to be a buy-low type. He's the sort that most playoff teams could probably view as deserving a spot on the back end.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Thank goodness. Great, a break then, another at the AS week... maybe by then our guys will be good to go. Still need some changes, but that can only help us.

Yeah hopefully JR’s made a couple moves. The new guys can get used to our style in training. Our guys get some rest, a mental reset and hopefully a new enthusiasm.

JR and Sully come out of it looking like geniuses :)

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Garrison's a rich man's Cole, but he's got a fantastic point shot, which we could certainly use for an option in the offensive zone. Problem is he doesn't strike me as a guy who's going to be a buy-low type. He's the sort that most playoff teams could probably view as deserving a spot on the back end.

Maybe... but he's also a pending FA who's currently in the minors. I don't think he'd be that expensive.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

He was waived? Anyone could have had him for free.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I don’t watch the baby Pens but is ZAR the type of player that would work with Phil and Geno?

If so would he be good enough if given the chance to fill that hole by the time playoffs roll around. I guess we’d need to see what he’s got soon though.

Or does he need a lot more time to develop?

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I'd take a flier on Garrison, I've said it in the past as well. Vegas retains 50%? If JR wants another depth Dman after then I dunno who else to go after.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
The Pens are a 2 line hockey team at this point. They desperately need to make a deal for a 3C that has 2C abilities, i.e. Bozak, RNH types. They need some juice in their legs and piss and vinegar in their heart. Bring up Sprong for a few games and see what he can do. When Sullivan took over, the team was night and day different when he brought up Rust/Sheary and their legs inspired the team.

The lack of depth on this team is f***ing awful.

Hagelin/Hunwick's salaries are such f***ing anchors on this team. You can't tie up $6m in no production on a team like ours.

GMJR needs to get to work and pull some rabbits out of his hat. We need more than one deal IMO. They better do it soon because the trade deadline might be too late.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Plekanec would slot in nicely on this team. Either bumping Sheahan down or bolstering the 4th by himself. Montreal is going to be a seller this year anyway. Maybe not a long term center solution but I think he could have a couple good years left in him if we were to re-sign him.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The Pens are a 2 line hockey team at this point. They desperately need to make a deal for a 3C that has 2C abilities, i.e. Bozak, RNH types. They need some juice in their legs and piss and vinegar in their heart. Bring up Sprong for a few games and see what he can do. When Sullivan took over, the team was night and day different when he brought up Rust/Sheary and their legs inspired the team.

The lack of depth on this team is ****ing awful.

Hagelin/Hunwick's salaries are such ****ing anchors on this team. You can't tie up $6m in no production on a team like ours.

GMJR needs to get to work and pull some rabbits out of his hat. We need more than one deal IMO. They better do it soon because the trade deadline might be too late.

A. The Penguins aren't even a 2 line team at this point, they're a 0 line team. The entire team is garbage at ES.
B. I think you're grossly exaggerating how bad the Penguins depth is and how much it is hurting the Penguins. Want to see bad depth? Go look at the 2013-2014 Penguins roster, which still cruised through the regular season.
C. The idea that they "need" a 2C caliber player at 3C is just insane. That's just completely unrealistic and unreasonable. I want a 3C that fits the system well, can chip in offense at a consistent and decent rate and can play heavy defensive minutes.

People who try and argue the team's issues right now are depth aren't watching the games. Their depth does need to improve in numerous areas, but that's not at all the issue with this team right now. The actual issues with the team? The best players aren't playing like the best players. This team on paper has a stacked top-6 and a fine to good 3rd line (depending on who the wingers are). This team has 4 top-4 defensemen and a pretty solid bottom pair with Cole and Schultz. They have an elite starting goalie. There is no excuse for this team being as bad as it is right now, it's not a case of "having bad depth". It's just the team playing like ****, specifically the top end players.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Crosby is arguably the best player in hockey. He's under a PPG this year and is on pace for less than 40 ES points this year. Letang is a top-10 defenseman in hockey. He can't make a ****ing pass and he has been on the ice for over 40 ES goals against already. Murray is a top-5 starter in hockey. He's not even at a .910 save% this year, although that's not all due to him. Kessel is the only player on this team that's actually playing well on the year so far, he's producing at better ES and PP levels than he was in the last few years. Every other top end player has had dramatic drop offs in production. Crosby's ES production has been more than cut in half from what it was last year, 81 ES points/82 games to 39 ES points/82 games. Malkin is on pace to have the same amount of ES points in 82 games as he had last year in 62 games. Sheary has gone from putting up a 70 point pace last year to a 30 point pace this year. Guentzel has gone from putting up 29 goals and 54 points in 65 games last year (regular season and playoffs combined) into only being on pace for 27 goals and 48 points in 82 games. Rust has 9 points in his last 30 games while playing top-6 minutes.

It doesn't matter who your 3rd line center is when the guys who are supposed to be good aren't good. It doesn't matter if your 3C is RNH or Sheahan when Crosby and Malkin are only going to produce on the powerplay. It doesn't matter if Reaves is on your 4th line if multiple of your top-6 wingers are going to be playing at a 25 points/82 game pace for a huge stretch of the season. It doesn't matter if your backup goalie is Leighton or Jarry if Murray keeps playing below where he should be at. It doesn't matter if Cole or Hunwick play on your bottom pair if Letang is going to be making 4 turnovers a game and be on the ice for 2 goals a game.

Reactions: SEALBound
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->