Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | Silver and gold won't buy back the beat of a heart grown cold

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
What about Sheary+Cole+2nd for Kane and then Jarry+Hag+1st for Bjugstad+2nd/3rd?

Your 2nd deal is absolutely terrible for FLA and they'd never ever consider it. Even if that FLA pick isn't there, the value is brutal. Hagelin is a cap dump for most teams in the league at this point. And Jarry and a 1st doesn't come close to getting Bjugstad.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Think ultimately JR wants one bigger fish. Atm i'd categorize them as Kane, Galchenyuk/Patches, Bjugstad, maybe JVR(if we're dreamin' ROR). And then since most of those are wingers or can be pushed to wing a more 2-way 3C which as it looks right now, is most likely a rental.

Maybe you miss at the big fish and settle for a Pouliot or a Colin Wilson or a Maroon or a Strome instead and still pick up your more 2-way rental 3C.

Think thats kinda how he's lookin' at it.

Kasperi kapanen

Jul 23, 2014
Your 2nd deal is absolutely terrible for FLA and they'd never ever consider it. Even if that FLA pick isn't there, the value is brutal. Hagelin is a cap dump for most teams in the league at this point. And Jarry and a 1st doesn't come close to getting Bjugstad.

I think it’s pretty close.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Someone had a couple too many bud lights tonight :laugh:
what-dilly-dilly-means--and-how-bud-light-came-up-with-its-viral-campaign.jpg

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
What about Sheary+Cole+2nd for Kane and then Jarry+Hag+1st for Bjugstad+2nd/3rd?

Guentzel-Sid-Horny
Kane-Malkin-Rust
Simon?-Bjugstad-Kessel
Rowney-Sheahan-Reaves

Every line has someone who can crash the net and create space. Idk if I like Simon on Lw3 but it’s decent for now.

I think you went more for quantity than quality in the 2hd deal regarding the assets we'd send. The first deal actually is pretty fair. That said IF we could get Kane and Big Nick you're right, our top nine would be superb! At least on paper anyhow.

Last edited:

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
In order to get such assets you're looking at Maatta, Sheary, Cole, a number one and maybe Hags as a cap dump. We'd be looking to get back guys Like Kane, Bjug and a depth defensemen. Some players could be added or subtracted of course but that's the rough guesstimate IMO.

BlackAndGold87

Jul 13, 2017
You'd have to think trading for Kane would hurt the chances of getting a 3rd line center?

How much would it take to get Kane? I couldn't see them trading Sprong. Cole/Simon/1st?

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
You'd have to think trading for Kane would hurt the chances of getting a 3rd line center?

How much would it take to get Kane? I couldn't see them trading Sprong. Cole/Simon/1st?

If you're talkin' a sign n' trade i'd have to think 2 prime things would be involved which JR would consider Olli/Sheary/1st/Sprong/Jarry are atm, one would think.
Players like a Cole or Hags would be considered lesser parts of the deal.

A Kane acquisition could open up the opportunity to move Horny on the other side of things, like someone pointed out earlier. The reality is if the cap goes to 80 and an Olli or Cole + a Sheary or Hags are gone JR can afford around 7M(a little above or a little below depending on which 2) for a winger+3C.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Whats wrong with Hunwick? His deal is far from an anchor type.
Niemi was given a chance by JR and JR could only afford an under 1M backup.
Stars wanted a tough guy. JR got the best tough guy in the league.
All swings and misses, in my opinion. JR could have spent more on a backup but he pissed away money on these other two idiots. Just because JR does his homework doesn’t mean it’ll all work out.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
And that makes Hornqvist expendable joining Dumoulin plus Jarry/draft pick in an upgrade defense move for... you guessed it OEL

Kane makes Hornqvist expendable?

They accomplish some of the same things on-ice, but judging from their track records (cue the "Kane hasn't skipped practice or faced an assault charge since 2016" brigade), you could not have two more different personalities when it comes to "me-first" vs. "team-first". The guy who alienated his last team to the point that they turfed him replaces the guy who's been a rallying point for every team he's played on? I don't think so.

If the Pens traded for Kane I'd have a hard time cheering for them. Any talk that JR had about prioritizing character would come off as pretty damn hypocritical.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
If you're talkin' a sign n' trade i'd have to think 2 prime things would be involved which JR would consider Olli/Sheary/1st/Sprong/Jarry are atm, one would think.
Players like a Cole or Hags would be considered lesser parts of the deal.

A Kane acquisition could open up the opportunity to move Horny on the other side of things, like someone pointed out earlier. The reality is if the cap goes to 80 and an Olli or Cole + a Sheary or Hags are gone JR can afford around 7M(a little above or a little below depending on which 2) for a winger+3C.

So who's backing up Murray? If any goalie is getting moved its Gustavsson(which i absolutely hate tbf, because I like his ceiling more than Jarry).

But the here and now is Jarry just proved that he can handle himself when Murray is out. We are atm not going to find a backup that is as good as Jarry without paying more assets than we need to to get that. Its completely unnecessary if we just keep him in the first place, right?

Also you and Kapanen are counting on Murray staying healthy which is a risk as of today.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I'm starting to warm up to the idea about Kane because at first I wanted nothing to do with him. If we are changing to the dynamics of becoming a big physical team then I would think Kane could fit?

I also agree with the consensus of getting away from our identity of rolling 4 lines of speed and skill. But I also have a theory that JR changed the dynamics to try to stay ahead of every other team that had the book on us and trying to copy cat what we did the last 2 years. That is the only thing I could think of besides protecting our stars.

It may not be the case. But its a thought

In reality, most teams can't copy cat something they most likely never have. That starts with having a core that starts with Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Letang, Fleury and Murray. The Pens built on top of their insane depth with more depth. I don't think a single team could copy cat the Pens other than giving themselves as much depth as they can from top to bottom, but would still fall short.

Heck, the Pens are struggling with that very same issue and they do have the main components. JR changed because he couldn't keep everyone and the stars wanted the constant drumming to be less.

JR. kept a team together because they knew they had a winning formula not one team could match after the 2016 cup run. Every team took liberties against them in 2017 that brought them down to earth, and it almost worked.

Last edited:
Reactions: Giskard and NEPA

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
In reality, most teams can't copy cat something they most likely never have. That starts with having a core that starts with Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Letang and Murray. The Pens built on top of their insane depth with more depth. I don't think a single team could copy cat the Pens other than giving themselves as much depth as they can from top to bottom, but would still fall short.

Heck, the Pens are struggling with that very same issue and they do have the main components. JR changed because he couldn't keep everyone and the stars wanted the constant drumming to be less.

JR. kept a team together because they knew they had a winning formula not one team could match after the 2016 cup run. Every team took liberties against them in 2017 that brought them down to earth, and it almost worked.

Valid points. Good post. I'm not against having a physical team and as you saw against Columbus a physical type game really woke everyone up and the team was engaged.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
So who's backing up Murray? If any goalie is getting moved its Gustavsson(which i absolutely hate tbf, because I like his ceiling more than Jarry).

But the here and now is Jarry just proved that he can handle himself when Murray is out. We are atm not going to find a backup that is as good as Jarry without paying more assets than we need to to get that. Its completely unnecessary if we just keep him in the first place, right?

Also you and Kapanen are counting on Murray staying healthy which is a risk as of today.

I just used Jarry in that showing he's one of JR's top assets. I don't believe JR would move him atm cuz Jarr's next deal gives JR solid goaltending for 3yrs(including this one) for under 6M probably. He's still up there tho for a top asset so i'd never say never.

Last edited:
Reactions: NEPA

EliteGoaltending

Jan 7, 2016
Of all the names thrown out there, I really wouldn't want Bozak and Kane.

I think there's plenty of better options/targets that would fit better than these two.
We'd need a more defensively responsable 3C than Bozak. And with Kane, I don't think that he's that good of a player, especially with that price tag(cap hit).

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
They've brought in two players - one of whom is young and huge and can actually play - and to boot, still has potential for more. You seem rather put off that just because we brought in Reaves, that that is all Rutherford is looking for. I can assure you that's not the case.

I just don't want to move away from what has brought us success. If they wanna bang and keep playing then i'm fine, but that post whistle stuff that may happen if we start bringing in these tough guys will be like old Penguins no win hockey.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
I just used Jarry in that showing he's one of JR's top assets. I don't believe JR would move him atm cuz Jarr's next deal gives JR solid goaltending for 3yrs(including this one) for under 6M probably. He's still up there tho for a top asset so i'd never say never.

I misunderstood you then. I agree with you someone is getting moved at some point in time, I just disagree that it will be this year. I really like the Murray Jarry duo in a 3 year window. I also think its a possibility that Jarry could end up the better goalie as he progresses.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Of all the names thrown out there, I really wouldn't want Bozak and Kane.

I think there's plenty of better options/targets that would fit better than these two.
We'd need a more defensively responsable 3C than Bozak. And with Kane, I don't think that he's that good of a player, especially with that price tag(cap hit).

I personally wouldn't mind Kane(just dunno how much interest JR has) at all. I agree with you on Bozak BUT JR may only have a shot at rental 3C's this year so around the deadline if only rentals are the play, i'm down.

EliteGoaltending

Jan 7, 2016
I personally wouldn't mind Kane(just dunno how much interest JR has) at all. I agree with you on Bozak BUT JR may only have a shot at rental 3C's this year so around the deadline if only rentals are the play, i'm down.
Honestly, I'd rather them building for the next year then. Throwing away assets for rentals that probably wouldn't take us anywhere further than 1st round, not worth it.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
2017-18 trade spoiler alert:

Pens lack skill.

Pens can only trade skill for other skill.

Pens then still lack skill.

Need to mini rebuild through FA and draft.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Honestly, I'd rather them building for the next year then. Throwing away assets for rentals that probably wouldn't take us anywhere further than 1st round, not worth it.

Meh careful when you say that. If that was the attitude in 2015 around this time, then we'd never have back to back Cups. And then again, he tried to go all in with awful decisions in 2014 and it was brutal. So the good/bad of JR. One went really bad and looked to have closed up a window. The other opened it up for a long damn time.

We heard when JR came to Pittsburgh he'd be trying to win each year. Treating each year like a single season NHL 18 game is dangerous, but his six-shooting wild west ways got us back to back Cups so whether it is lucky or not, he did exactly what we dreamed about.

He's not going to stop now.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

Bozak has the potential to do an awful lot for us. Whatever you think of his defense, he's a proven producer who has an established chemistry with Kessel that would allow us to run 3 scoring lines again and potentially call up Sprong for Geno's RW.

Reactions: PensandCaps
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad