Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | Rainbow's End down That Highway Where Ocean Breezes Blow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
He's not wrong though. It's why I get why JR is waiting, the options right now are crap. Botterill will try to get the most he can for the crap he has and the best time for him to do that is at the TDL. The other options, I mean, Pens will need to wait until the picture becomes clearer and it really might not until after the TDL.

I would be happy if all he did was just upgrade on Rowney on the 4C spot and let the rest of the team just build on the recent play.

Unless of course there's some chump out there who will pay a kings ransom today. I actually think his ask at the TD will be less then it is now. There's just no reason to sell now for anything less than top dollar. Maybe that changes between now and then, and maybe it doesn't... but unless the player gets hurt, there's no harm in asking for it today.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Unless of course there's some chump out there who will pay a kings ransom today. I actually think his ask at the TD will be less then it is now. There's just no reason to sell now for anything less than top dollar. Maybe that changes between now and then, and maybe it doesn't... but unless the player gets hurt, there's no harm in asking for it today.
That could be true, given that a lot of teams are battling right now for a spot and will need every inch of advantage they can get.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Yeah, Simon is the guy going to get sent back. If they had balls they waive Kuhn. Rust, Sheahan, Hags, and now Jake can all PK, and until we get a 3C they may play Rowney so he'd be a fifth.

Of course if they had real balls they'd sit Reaves for everyone other than certain teams but that won't happen.
I disagree with that point. Of course I'd rather have Simon than Kuhn, but why not not both? You never know what type of depth you will need, especially in a long playoff run, and Kuhn is a serviceable 4th line player. I'd rather send down Simon until the next injury than just lose Kuhn for nothing.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
All of those guys were insignificant (Archibald, Fehr, Plotnikov, Sill, Goc, and Klinkhammer) or were traded for somebody (Wilson, Perron, Scuderi, Bortuzzo, Despres). OK, maybe Scuderi belongs in both categories.

When was the last time that the Pens flat out sold someone? It's just not their MO and it shouldn't be. You need all the depth you can get in the playoffs, so they will find a way to make it work if possible. If that means sending down Simon and Sprong until there is another injury, so be it.

I don't think the Penguins are just going to sell anyone, I was talking purely about trading players off the roster. I don't think they're going to sell anyone, but I think they could definitely move players off the roster to fill a hole somewhere else.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I would be shocked if Toronto deals us Bozak. I think we are on the leafs no trade list. If I was Cole, I would think my best chance for a payday is to contribute to another cup winning team, I would make amends with Sully. But he may be a piece that brings us a 3c. We shouldn't trade him to another playoff team in the East though.

As long as it's not Tampa or Washington, I'm really not all that worried. The rest, while quality clubs (and certainly ones that could beat us in a 7 game series), are not nearly the power houses that those two are. So as long as we're getting quality in return (aka a 3c type of player), it's fine.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
So does Bjugstad play wing or center now?

He has been playing wing most of the season, and his coach has said he (coach) thinks he's a winger. Someone (here or on the trade board) commented on his lack of lateral mobility as one of the reasons he's better on the wing then in the middle.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Lou is IMO the GM who gave the anonymous quote about hoping that no one makes us better. Ottawa is looking to shed salary for futures. We don't have many futures to spare. Maybe we can pick up a couple of veteran players for a reasonable price though.

I agree with you about Lou, wouldn't surprise me in the least that he was the one to have said that.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Yeah, Simon is the guy going to get sent back. If they had balls they waive Kuhn. Rust, Sheahan, Hags, and now Jake can all PK, and until we get a 3C they may play Rowney so he'd be a fifth.

Of course if they had real balls they'd sit Reaves for everyone other than certain teams but that won't happen.

I think Sprong goes down before Simon. Sprong is more dangerous (and has much higher upside), but I see Simon as the more complete and versatile player. Guess we'll find out in the next few months.

Crosby and Malkin like Reaves in the lineup. Until that changes, he's not getting scratched.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
He has been playing wing most of the season, and his coach has said he (coach) thinks he's a winger. Someone (here or on the trade board) commented on his lack of lateral mobility as one of the reasons he's better on the wing then in the middle.

Guys built like him are usually better down the middle just because of their length. I can't imagine him being very good on the breakout at wing.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Guys built like him are usually better down the middle just because of their length. I can't imagine him being very good on the breakout at wing.

He's played the vast majority of his career at center and did just fine. Well, except last season. But he's pretty solid all around and still takes some face offs and does well. I don't think his skating is a big issue TBH. His lateral movement isn't any worse than Bonino anyhow.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
If they scratch Sprong or Simon for Kuhn when Rust comes back that will probably culminate in a losing streak.

I would hope they would bump Rust to Malkin’s line and Hags to the fourth.
Most of the season I'd have agreed, but Hags has been great the last few games. I'd at least keep them swapped at first while Rust gets his legs back under them and see if Hags cools off at all.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
When’s Rust back anyway?

Wonder if he becomes a trade piece if our top 9 is rolling aside from a center upgrade.

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa
Am I forgetting something? Why wouldn't Lou want to trade with us, specifically? For Ottawa, with the history between teams, I can see it. They would take a lesser deal over our offer. But why would Toronto?

Or maybe a better question, would Toronto trade with Washington or Columbus over is, if our offer was better?

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
When’s Rust back anyway?

Wonder if he becomes a trade piece if our top 9 is rolling aside from a center upgrade.

You don't trade a playoff performer like Rust. Put Kuhn on the bench, let Rust, who is a better PKer, take his spot and your team just got much faster and better.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Am I forgetting something? Why wouldn't Lou want to trade with us, specifically? For Ottawa, with the history between teams, I can see it. They would take a lesser deal over our offer. But why would Toronto?

Or maybe a better question, would Toronto trade with Washington or Columbus over is, if our offer was better?
those teams should be on the leafs no trade list IMO.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
When’s Rust back anyway?

I don’t really see any of our forwards traded unless it’s an awesome deal for us.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba

Has nothing to do with Toronto and everything to do with the perception of us as a sleeping giant who could three-peat with a few key additions. He doesn't want that.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
You don't trade a playoff performer like Rust. Put Kuhn on the bench, let Rust, who is a better PKer, take his spot and your team just got much faster and better.

I don’t disagree. But we’re gonna need to bring in a center eventually. Asking Guentzel to center a line we want offense out of for the rest of the season is a lot.

Rust has that playoff resume like you said so GMs would definitely be interested. And he’s due a contract in the offseason.

I wouldn’t say f*** no if we’re bringing in a center whos here for the rest of our window.

Vegas would and should be all over a guy like Rust. And they have more centers than they need.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I don’t disagree. But we’re gonna need to bring in a center eventually. Asking Guentzel to center a line we want offense out of for the rest of the season is a lot.

Rust has that playoff resume like you said so GMs would definitely be interested. And he’s due a contract in the offseason.

I wouldn’t say **** no if we’re bringing in a center whos here for the rest of our window.

Vegas would and should be all over a guy like Rust. And they have more centers than they need.

You’ve got to figure Cole is their plan for adding a C in one way or another. We’ll see what ends up happening but I think that’s the goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia