Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | Rainbow's End down That Highway Where Ocean Breezes Blow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Rowney is on IR, too. We have 12 healthy fowards, 2 on IR, 8 healthy defensemen, and 3 goalies.

Waving Rowney makes sense.

If you're bringing in a 3C, sure... but otherwise, sadly, we need him. Guentzel isn't cutting it.

The rosters also get expanded after the trade deadline, they can have a 24 man roster after the trade deadline. That's what I expect them to do, I think they'll have Rowney, Kuhnhackl, either Sheary or Simon, Ruhwedel and Hunwick as healthy scratches after the deadline. I expect them to add a 3C and a rental defensemen while only subtracting Cole off the roster.

Not sure how, but was never aware of that.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Jake at 3C as a placeholder and Sheahan playing L4 is 100000000000000x better than Rowney playing 4C. Rowney sucks and without any skill on that L4, they are pointless. They can't even eat minutes.

Ideally you would want Rowney and Reaves gone. Reaves can be a 14th forward but he just doesn't fit our needs. If Rust comes back, move our skill down the roster and keep building depth.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Maybe a good start at Landeskog? He'd be a solid replacement for Hornqvist. Cheaper. Younger.

I doubt Sakic is taking that as a start. Too greedy and will be too stubborn after being proven right on what he could get for Duchene.

Besides, I wouldn't want that as a start if I was selling Landeskog. I'm looking for high end talents for a rebuilding, not decent ready now players.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Why is Colorado a seller when they are 3 points out of a playoff spot with 4 games in hand? I think tonight's win will be their 8th or 9th in a row? They aren't selling.

Face one reality... the sellers out there are the worst possible sellers for the Pens.
- Montreal? f*** I don't want anyone on their team.
- Sens? They hate the Pens and their owner is psycho. They aren't going to play kind as they got housed for the Duchene deal.
- Florida? They will not take salary on. They will only give it away. The Pens would need 2 partners.
- Buffalo? Decent trade partner but they sound like they are waiting for the deadline. We can't protect our first for them so it isn't working right now.

The rest of the East is not going to sell at this point.

- Oilers? Not good trade partners IMO.
- Arizona? Not good trade partners IMO.
- Anaheim/Colorado/Chicago/SJ are all within striking distance and they aren't going to be sellers right now.
- Vancouver? I don't see anything we'd have for them and vice versa.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Sprong ain't going back down.

Just sit Reaves, insert Rust on L4.

Sprong does not need to work on his defensive game.

JR has already hinted that he could be sent down if or when the pens forwards are healthy.

Its going to depend how Sprong and Simon are playing at that time.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Face one reality... the sellers out there are the worst possible sellers for the Pens.
- Montreal? **** I don't want anyone on their team.

Which is why I can easily see us ending up with Plekanec, Richardson or Letestu. And of those, as much as I do not want him, Pleks is easily the best option as he can at least threaten to push RS down. The latter two are firmly (IMO) 4Cs.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
When Desmith gets sent down, And If you trade Cole and get a pick for him, you could trade Rust and Gus plus the pick in the Cole deal to FLA for Bjugstad. It fits FLA's criteria as far as shedding salary, yet cap wise we can fit him in.

EDIT: You may have to waive Rowney once he's healthy to make it work.

Last edited:

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
No thanks to Martin.

Don't want Martin back
No thank you!

Thank you. I can't believe anyone actually would want him in 2018. I personally feel that he was never a very good defenseman, even in his prime. A very underwhelming player who did absolutely nothing particularly well and had no second gear. Now that same player is old and has been injured a lot.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
How often does a team sell at the deadline despite being in contention i.e. St Louis and Shattenkirk last year?

In any case, I feel like Cole's summed things up well enough. Its why I wonder about possible hockey trades targeting an underperforming player who's currently surplus i.e. Lindberg.

p.s. I just looked at Vancouver's roster and can't stop laughing about Sutter's salary.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm conflicted on what I think the Penguins will do. On one hand, the Penguins trading roster players doesn't seem to be a common thing during the season. On the other hand, it's a lot more common with Rutherford than it was with Shero. The Penguins have consistently traded at least 2 roster players every single season since Rutherford became GM. Most of those guys aren't significant (guys like Archibald, Condon and Plotnikov), but some of them are kinda significant.

This year, you've already seen Wilson get traded, and I'd say Wilson was a decently significant piece to get moved at the start of the year. He played in a vast majority of games for the Penguins last season in both the regular season and playoffs. Archibald and Fehr were also moved in 2017. 2016 had Perron and Scuderi leave for Daley and Hagelin, Scuderi sucked by the end of his time in Pittsburgh but Perron was a decently productive 2nd/3rd line winger here. Plotnikov also got moved in 2016, but Plotnikov also wasn't a NHL player. 2015 was even busier than 2016, with all of Bortuzzo, Despres, Sill (he somehow was a NHL player for that entire season), Goc and Klinkhammer being moved during the year. Most of those names aren't significant, but I think it shows how Rutherford isn't shy about moving NHL pieces if he has to.

Compare this to when Shero was the GM, the Penguins only traded Tangradi, Letestu, Lovejoy and Goligoski were traded off while on the Penguins roster from 2010-2011 to 2013-2014. That's 4 players in 4 seasons, Rutherford is at 13 (Archibald, Wilson, Pouliot, Fehr, Condon, Plotnikov, Perron, Scuderi, Bortuzzo, Despres, Sill, Goc and Klinkhammer) in 3 and a half years.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Random question: I'm using Chrome on Android and all tweets embedded get stuck at "Loading Tweet..." and never show up for me. Is there a setting or something I can change? The twitter app on my phone works fine...

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Random question: I'm using Chrome on Android and all tweets embedded get stuck at "Loading Tweet..." and never show up for me. Is there a setting or something I can change? The twitter app on my phone works fine...
There is a stickied thread that will point you in the right direction for site issues. Buffaloed (the webmaster) has a thread up on the News And Announcements Board.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Why is Colorado a seller when they are 3 points out of a playoff spot with 4 games in hand? I think tonight's win will be their 8th or 9th in a row? They aren't selling.

- Montreal? **** I don't want anyone on their team.
- Sens? They hate the Pens and their owner is psycho. They aren't going to play kind as they got housed for the Duchene deal.
- Florida? They will not take salary on. They will only give it away. The Pens would need 2 partners.
- Buffalo? Decent trade partner but they sound like they are waiting for the deadline. We can't protect our first for them so it isn't working right now.

The rest of the East is not going to sell at this point.

- Anaheim/Colorado/Chicago/SJ are all within striking distance and they aren't going to be sellers right now.
- Vancouver? I don't see anything we'd have for them and vice versa.
You are fussy buying shoes aren’t ya?

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

:laugh: No just trying to remember that other teams out there want to win the Cup, too. Pens fans seem to think all teams want to be sellers to us for some reason when they are in a good position to make the playoffs. Ya know?

Another reason why I STILL don't know how Toronto/Pittsburgh hasn't done a 3C for defender deal that makes sense for both teams. Helping a team become better and making us better, too.

Other than that - expecting teams that are just outside the playoffs to be sellers is strange. Avs are doing well. They want to make the playoffs.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
West is tough to deal with, it's a very tight race from like 6th-12th or something like that. The teams that might be "done" are teams like Arizona, Vancouver, Buffalo and Edmonton in a more "no chance they get on a streak that would get them in" kind of way.

But Colorado is very much in it, they're not in the selling mode yet, they're in the "hockey trade for now" mode.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
He's not wrong though. It's why I get why JR is waiting, the options right now are crap. Botterill will try to get the most he can for the crap he has and the best time for him to do that is at the TDL. The other options, I mean, Pens will need to wait until the picture becomes clearer and it really might not until after the TDL.

I would be happy if all he did was just upgrade on Rowney on the 4C spot and let the rest of the team just build on the recent play.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
I agree that we don't have many options and we will lose most bidding wars. One ace in the hole we may have is we are a prime destination for pending UFA's with NTC's.

I would be shocked if Toronto deals us Bozak. I think we are on the leafs no trade list. If I was Cole, I would think my best chance for a payday is to contribute to another cup winning team, I would make amends with Sully. But he may be a piece that brings us a 3c. We shouldn't trade him to another playoff team in the East though.

Reactions: PartyatMarios

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
We have 8 dmen and 14 forwards on the roster. The only waiver exempt players there are Guentzel, Sprong and Simon. How do you bring the roster back down to size?
Injuries usually solve that for them, but Simon will likely be sent down if needed. He's been fine, but he's not forcing management to keep him up here either. 8D + 13F + 2G = 23 players. Done.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I agree that we don't have many options and we will lose most bidding wars. One ace in the hole we may have is we are a prime destination for a pending UFA's with NTC's.

I would be shocked if Toronto deals us Bozak. I think we are on the leafs no trade list.
There are certain teams that would rather not deal with us, but OTT and TOR in particular really don't like us. If we make a trade with either team I'd expect them to drive up the price.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
There are certain teams that would rather not deal with us, but OTT and TOR in particular really don't like us. If we make a trade with either team I'd expect them to drive up the price.
Lou is IMO the GM who gave the anonymous quote about hoping that no one makes us better. Ottawa is looking to shed salary for futures. We don't have many futures to spare. Maybe we can pick up a couple of veteran players for a reasonable price though.

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
Hopefully we get a center soon:(

I think it depends on what caliber center we are looking for.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I'm conflicted on what I think the Penguins will do. On one hand, the Penguins trading roster players doesn't seem to be a common thing during the season. On the other hand, it's a lot more common with Rutherford than it was with Shero. The Penguins have consistently traded at least 2 roster players every single season since Rutherford became GM. Most of those guys aren't significant (guys like Archibald, Condon and Plotnikov), but some of them are kinda significant.

This year, you've already seen Wilson get traded, and I'd say Wilson was a decently significant piece to get moved at the start of the year. He played in a vast majority of games for the Penguins last season in both the regular season and playoffs. Archibald and Fehr were also moved in 2017. 2016 had Perron and Scuderi leave for Daley and Hagelin, Scuderi sucked by the end of his time in Pittsburgh but Perron was a decently productive 2nd/3rd line winger here. Plotnikov also got moved in 2016, but Plotnikov also wasn't a NHL player. 2015 was even busier than 2016, with all of Bortuzzo, Despres, Sill (he somehow was a NHL player for that entire season), Goc and Klinkhammer being moved during the year. Most of those names aren't significant, but I think it shows how Rutherford isn't shy about moving NHL pieces if he has to.

Compare this to when Shero was the GM, the Penguins only traded Tangradi, Letestu, Lovejoy and Goligoski were traded off while on the Penguins roster from 2010-2011 to 2013-2014. That's 4 players in 4 seasons, Rutherford is at 13 (Archibald, Wilson, Pouliot, Fehr, Condon, Plotnikov, Perron, Scuderi, Bortuzzo, Despres, Sill, Goc and Klinkhammer) in 3 and a half years.
All of those guys were insignificant (Archibald, Fehr, Plotnikov, Sill, Goc, and Klinkhammer) or were traded for somebody (Wilson, Perron, Scuderi, Bortuzzo, Despres). OK, maybe Scuderi belongs in both categories.

When was the last time that the Pens flat out sold someone? It's just not their MO and it shouldn't be. You need all the depth you can get in the playoffs, so they will find a way to make it work if possible. If that means sending down Simon and Sprong until there is another injury, so be it.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
Injuries usually solve that for them, but Simon will likely be sent down if needed. He's been fine, but he's not forcing management to keep him up here either. 8D + 13F + 2G = 23 players. Done.
Yeah, Simon is the guy going to get sent back. If they had balls they waive Kuhn. Rust, Sheahan, Hags, and now Jake can all PK, and until we get a 3C they may play Rowney so he'd be a fifth.

Of course if they had real balls they'd sit Reaves for everyone other than certain teams but that won't happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad