Salary Cap: Salary Cap + Roster building: " PPG with a clock in its wall|Tic Toc....! We there yet?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I'd be totally fine keeping the two 1sts and making the picks, assuming we get one back for Phil, which I think is a near certainty. This prospect pool is pretty atrocious and it's well beyond time to start worrying about the future--since the "future" is going to be here in a couple of seasons.

I'd still prefer to use one of the picks as a trade asset and land someone who can help this team immediately and for the foreseeable future.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'd be totally fine keeping the two 1sts and making the picks, assuming we get one back for Phil, which I think is a near certainty. This prospect pool is pretty atrocious and it's well beyond time to start worrying about the future--since the "future" is going to be here in a couple of seasons.

I'd still prefer to use one of the picks as a trade asset and land someone who can help this team immediately and for the foreseeable future.

Eh I wouldn't say this. I think Kessel definitely brings back the value of a 1st and a decent prospect at least. I don't know that he technically brings back a 1st. If you get something like Merkley and POJ from Arizona for Kessel, that's the equivalent of a 1st and a decent prospect (maybe it's a little more) but you're not getting a 1st.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Yet he's still unsigned right now. Do you remember why his name was in trade rumors at the deadline? Because Vancouver was apparently unwilling to match the term/clauses that Edler wanted in his next deal. Until he's actually signed, he shouldn't be assumed to be back. If Vancouver won't give him the term and NMC that he probably wants, he'll probably sign somewhere else with a team that will give him that. So there's a spot on the 2nd pair LD spot until he's re-signed, and Hughes will probably start on the 3rd pair.

Alex Edler's agent discusses potential contract extension with Canucks - Sportsnet.ca

It’s the other way around. It shouldn’t be assumed Edler is playing anywhere else until he does.

Why is Hughes starting on the 3rd pair? Played 18 min a night in his debut. He’ll be in top 4 and they have good partners for him. Hutton logged 22 minutes per game. Schenn played well for them after being added. Again they at least want Juolevi to push for time, they’re not gonna block his path to the league any further.

If they add a D they’re gonna go after a more impactful player than Maatta. No point in having his money on the books when Hughes/Pettersson are due new contracts.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Only if you're getting a Spurgeon or above asset. No wasting good prospects on useful mid-level players.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Hughes averaged almost 18 min a game in the five he played had 3 assist and looked great at 19. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him penciled in on the 2nd pair.

Yeah, have a feeling they’re just gonna let him roll like McAvoy or Werenski or Heiskanen.

IIRC he was hurt when Hughes jumped in but if they put them together (seems logical), Hughes-Tanev can be a solid first pairing in the NHL imo.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Reactions: Scandale du Jour

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Them quoting The Athletic. Is ice cream boy working for them these days?

Yep. They're quoting him. :laugh:

That said, I'm sure they haven't asked him to waive, because that potentially opens up a can of worms you may not get to close. And, I'm sure Sid is none too happy about Geno's name being out there. So, don't worry, we're fine for a bit, at least until next season starts, Geno has the wrong stuff on his wings and Jack Johnson behind, and he realizes he's ****** again. :laugh:

BTW, the Sid story dates back. They became close when both were out long term in 2011. The bond went to another level, as I understand it, towards the end of the Shero era/beginning of the JR era when the organization took to blaming both of them for the team not winning another cup.

My only concern now is that after spending time with his buddies at the worlds, playing with linemates and defensemen where the line's success isn't so dependent on him doing everything, and talking to his wife, I worry that he may (rightly) decide that the grass is greener on the other side.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Yep. They're quoting him. :laugh:

That said, I'm sure they haven't asked him to waive, because that potentially opens up a can of worms you may not get to close. And, I'm sure Sid is none too happy about Geno's name being out there. So, don't worry, we're fine for a bit, at least until next season starts, Geno has the wrong stuff on his wings and Jack Johnson behind, and he realizes he's ****** again. :laugh:

BTW, the Sid story dates back. They became close when both were out long term in 2011. The bond went to another level, as I understand it, towards the end of the Shero era/beginning of the JR era when the organization took to blaming both of them for the team not winning another cup.

My only concern now is that after spending time with his buddies at the worlds, playing with linemates and defensemen where the line's success isn't so dependent on him doing everything, and talking to his wife, I worry that he may (rightly) decide that the grass is greener on the other side.

By the other side, you mean Trump's best buddy's favourite league?

Reactions: KIRK

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I'd prefer him bolting to the KHL than seeing him in an other NHL jersey. Some guys should be "lifers", Geno is one of them.

I fear that depends now on the damage JR has done and whether he continues to do it on and off the ice.

Burn

Mar 24, 2018
Larry Brooks writing today about 6 of the Rangers stiffs for Malkin.

Any rumor of Malkin to the Rangers begins and ends with Kappo Kakko? Not even Hughes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad