Salary Cap: Salary Cap + Roster building: " PPG with a clock in its wall|Tic Toc....! We there yet?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
Am I crazy to think that Carolina should be all over trading for Kessel?

They have the cap room and need drastic help on the PP. A game breaker like Kessel would have made all the difference against Boston. Also, they have an extremely mobile defense that will mesh well with Kessel.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018

They have the cap room and need drastic help on the PP. A game breaker like Kessel would have made all the difference against Boston. Also, they have an extremely mobile defense that will mesh well with Kessel.

They maybe should. Dunno if I’d want anything they’d give up considering they’re in-division.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Larry Brooks writing today about 6 of the Rangers stiffs for Malkin.

Any rumor of Malkin to the Rangers begins and ends with Kappo Kakko? Not even Hughes.

Hmmm...would I trade Malkin for the 2nd Overall. Kakko is a stud...I dunno.

He’s been alright at the Athletic. Maybe he sought help.

Or maybe he's being held to a certain journalistic standard that he wasnt before. The Athletic seems less BS than the local newspaper which Im sure he worn his welcome out at. Write right or go hungry...or go sell ice cream.

Days of professional reckoning can do wonders for performance.

heysmilinstrange

Nov 10, 2016
He's writing Geno's biography. Out of any reporter in this city, I'd trust Rossi the most when it comes specifically to Malkin. I know it's weird for people to process that, but Rossi does have an in with Malkin.

Yeah, I felt weird about it, but I was actually waiting to see what Rossi had to say about the situation because I thought he'd give the most accurate assessment.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I think you have to trade Geno for Kakko if that’s on the table, obviously. But it won’t be and the Penguins will keep Malkin.

Still more likely than trading Malkin for Strome and Vesey like Brooks just wrote :laugh::laugh:

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Burn

Mar 24, 2018
I think you have to trade Geno for Kakko if that’s on the table, obviously. But it won’t be and the Penguins will keep Malkin.

Still more likely than trading Malkin for Strome and Vesey like Brooks just wrote :laugh::laugh:
Yeah a bunch of trash doesn't equal up to the 101st best player ever.

I would even make the Rangers over pay just because he'll be in the division.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I don't think you can put off the prospect pool any longer. Things are going to change, dramatically, in three years. Geno's gone after this deal, I'm pretty sure, and Letang may well hang 'em up after another several seasons of injury-laden hockey--if he even finishes his contract.

First and second round picks should be off the table unless the player coming back via trade is like 25 years old, give or take a couple years.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
We need to remove ourselves from the idea Hornqvist is a top-6 winger. Geno needs more than Hornqvist brings, while Sid and Horny can't coexist for more than a couple shifts at a time. He's a third liner.

Most "3rd liners" are not on pace for 36g/67pts over the first half of the season...

Reactions: Trade

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

Carolina is probably one of the few small town places that I could actually see Kessel waiving to go to. Not a huge market, so he can still avoid being 'the guy', while having a good team and a center (Staal) that he could probably play with, and the team being on the upswing and fairly competitive.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Most "3rd liners" are not on pace for 36g/67pts over the first half of the season...

People point to Horny's concussion as the reason for his season going downhill, but the fact he spent 270 minutes with Sid/Geno in the first half and less than a 100 in the second half probably has a hell of a lot to do with it. Judging his suitability for the top 6 based on him not playing in the top 6 seems logically flawed to me.

And if I did think he was just a third line player, that he no longer had a fit in the top 6 our stars would accept, I would want him moved tomorrow.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

Lol, nice. Kinda funny after the Rags have been through Gaborik and Nash trades. But yeah no, Malkin is worth less than either.

Course, Brooks is a well respected, highly regarded man so...maybe lol.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I know everyone wants him gone but I'm not sure I'm on the trade Maatta at all costs boat. He was pretty serviceable the year before this.

I'd move him, but I wouldn't just cap dump him. He's not in JJ territory for me.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I know everyone wants him gone but I'm not sure I'm on the trade Maatta at all costs boat. He was pretty serviceable the year before this.

I'd move him, but I wouldn't just cap dump him. He's not in JJ territory for me.

Depends what they want the space for, but I don’t think he actively hurts the team either. He’s just ok. I think he should be part of a wide scale defensive makeover though.

Reactions: Pancakes

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
People point to Horny's concussion as the reason for his season going downhill, but the fact he spent 270 minutes with Sid/Geno in the first half and less than a 100 in the second half probably has a hell of a lot to do with it. Judging his suitability for the top 6 based on him not playing in the top 6 seems logically flawed to me.

I'm probably stating the obvious here, but the biggest problem in the fanbase this off-season is blaming quality players with well-known warts for performing below-par when par was achieved under considerably different circumstances.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh

Or maybe he's being held to a certain journalistic standard that he wasnt before. The Athletic seems less BS than the local newspaper which Im sure he worn his welcome out at. Write right or go hungry...or go sell ice cream.

you mean Hughes ;) the way kakko is going at the worlds...who nows?

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
you mean Hughes ;) the way kakko is going at the worlds...who nows?

Yeah, Kakko looks more ready right now but that’s because, in part, he’s a wing at the nhl...Hughes will need time to fill out for center but if you’re NJD, it’s not like you’re going anywhere this year regardless...Shero should, and I think will, take Hughes if only because of the position

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Dumoulin-Letang
Edler-Spurgeon
xxxxx-Gudbranson

Seems like a pretty good defence. With expansion in two years, maybe you throw 4 year deal at Edler to lower the AAV and then pay seattle to take him? Acquire Spurgeon through assets from Kessel+Schultz trades. Id just buy out JJ. His cap hit would only be 270K next season and then 1.2m then two years after that. More than manageable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad