Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | Nine Mile Skid on a Ten Mile Ride

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Very EA of you.

Sheahan’s rated 90 this season in the EA NHL I’m playing. He’s not on my team though. I have Crosby, McDavid, Tavares and Stamkos in my side :)

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Nope, you have to go through it all again, and this time don't cherry pick stats. I'm sorry you have to start all over, but it will help build character. Your work was uneven and unsatisfactory, do it right this time. And the people who don't know what they're talking about are the people who agree with you and this ridiculous nonsense that you're spewing. Do it again!

Only to those too dense to understand simple logic.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Only to those too dense to understand simple logic.

So, you and the the kids who agree with you. Not surprising.

But again I asked you to do the work over again. I don't want to ask a third time, ok.

888 98 twins

Got you back not your wallet
Feb 12, 2008
Burgh
How has this debate lasted like 24 hours with no resolution? I'll make it real simple:
1) Sheahan is a 3C.
2)Sheahan may or may not be good enough to be a 3C on a cup champion. It's not really relevant.
3)This team's best version of itself would be Sheahan at 4C with a better fit (AKA someone who can play with Kessel) acquired to play 3C.

I don't understand people wanting to bring in a 4th line center. Letestu, Plekanec, etc will not put this team over the top. If it comes down to acquiring a guy like that, or acquiring a LW and letting Guentzel ride it out at 3C... I'm on board with option 2. With that being said, this team's priority should be the same as it's been since we won the cup, and that's finding a 3C who can give us the depth we've dominated with.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andy99 and Nakawick

The GM

Jun 7, 2012
Tell you what, go through the numbers again, tell me how Sheahan measures up with those players as it pertains to goals, primary assists, and secondary assists. Look at ice time, PP goals, PP assists, shorthanded goals and shorthanded assists, then divide it by the numbers of games played for each player. And one more variable and pay attention cause it's very important, use the same exact metric for each player. Be it this current season, the last two seasons or even life time stats. But please measure all players by the same metrics. I look forward to you doing all the leg work as it pertains to this debate. Thanks in advance.
I also think the analysis is not complete unless you also correlate the results with what each player ate for their pre game meals

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I also think the analysis is not complete unless you also correlate the results with what each player ate for their pre game meals

My guess would be chicken and pasta. But I'm sure someone else could do a more in depth analysis.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Sheahan isn't skilled enough to play with our top 9 and he doesn't have enough situational skill and experience to be our primary follow up to Sid and Geno. We need a better hockey player who can play center than Sheahan. An all situations center.

Reactions: KIRK

Hossa die Waldfee

Oct 29, 2015
If you’re choosing to ignore what a horrible idea it is to send out their best defenseman when they’re trying to 3peat, that’s on you bro.

This board had members who wanted to trade Phil Kessel this season. It is what it is. They are attractive options for a lot of armchair GM's because of their big salary, so you can bring in multiple guys or other big salary guys.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The problem there, as I see it, is that when Malkin went down for us this year, we didn't move Sheahan up the line-up like we did with Bones. We scuttled over a 23 year old who hadn't played center in the pros instead.

Whatever people want to guess the rationale behind that is, that's what happened. Given JR's public thoughts on what he's been looking for out of a 3C, I have an idea.

Personally, if we don't acquire a better offensive 3C before the deadline, I'm going to be surprised and disappointed. Sheahan's track record of production is inconsistent and he hasn't shown himself capable of exploiting Kessel so we can run 3 scoring lines, and Guentzel's presently more effective at wing shouldn't be shouldering that kind of weight on a contender in his 2nd year.

Bones wasn't some reclamation project. When Letang went down, they didn't thrust Schultz into his role either, they just put more minutes to Daley, Maatta, and Dumoulin as they should because when you are trying to "fix" a player that has shown potential and then was in a bad situation, you try to not repeat those patterns. The 2nd year when Letang went down, Schultz did step up, after 18 games and the playoffs and a full off season with the team.

I feel like people find more ways to stomp on Sheahan than actually acknowledge the situation. Bonino comparison works in some cases, but in that one, no. Hell at some points, Cullen was above Bonino in the line-up, I'm sure that'd be a fun narrative to spin as well last year. But in any case, Bones was a consistent 35+ pt C when he got here, Sheahan has shown he can do that but then was destroyed by a moronic coach for 2yrs, he's now showing that potential again, there's no rush there.

Last edited:

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
This board had members who wanted to trade Phil Kessel this season. It is what it is. They are attractive options for a lot of armchair GM's because of their big salary, so you can bring in multiple guys or other big salary guys.
That will be a topic every summer that he is here. Him carrying is own line this run would be a nice touch.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
People that constantly fail shouldn't be pointing fingers at "assignments" when you still can't even comprehend the argument.

Oh I comprehend quite well actually. And I don't promote an uneven manner in which to debate a subject and pick out one statistic and ignore all the other metrics. That's being shortsighted, disingenuous and that formula is inherently flawed. That's the epic fail here and you and your buddy riptide can continue to spew out your nonsense and it will never make it true!

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think its fair to say Johnson is a few miles above Sheahan in terms of offence. He should be at 5.5m. He's a legit 2C.

Eller and Jarnkrok are on pace for 35 non PP points, Bozak for 33.5. Sheahan's on pace for 31. I really don't see 2-4 points over the season being a matter for huge excitement on a 3C. Sure, I'd rather have them than not, but 35 vs 31? I get thinking that having a guy like Johnson at 3C would be a big advantage, because he really would, but Eller/Jarnkrok as things stand?

With Sheahan as our third line center, we are an adequate team. We are trying to not be an adequate team.

Guentzel has done fine there, but do we really want to keep him there long term?

I don't think any one bottom sixer is the difference between being an adequate team and a good team. I get any upgrade makes a difference, but I'm pretty sure every SC somewhere has some players that most fans would consider only adequate.

All fair. But my expectation is that we do everything we can to win it all again this year, and I simply don't see that happening with our current center situation. Other teams have gotten better and we have a sizable roster hole that we didn't have last year when we defied the possession gods.

Current centre situation? Yeah. I think we need at least one more centre. I don't think anyone here thinks we're gonna do it without at least another Sheahan.

Also, if Letang could extract his head from his derriere, then we shouldn't have to defy the possession gods this year.

#1GuinFan

Apr 4, 2003
canada
Visit site
The criteria that was used on Sheahan though was for this season. So that's the criteria we should use for every player. That's how you can have an appropriate and fairminded debate. And the four players I mentioned are more productive. Or do you want to use lifetime stats for each player? You can't say what Eller did for his career and then only use Sheahans stats for this season, otherwise it's an uneven argument. Surely you see that, yes?

You mentioned 2 players, not 4. One player has been a perennial top 6 producer (Johnson), the other Eller is having a career year that would be comparable to saying Sheahans season last year was the norm for him...

You still haven't presented much of a case for 3cs from cup contenders, there are far more than 2 cup contenders. What other teams do you see as being contenders?

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
You mentioned 2 players, not 4. One player has been a perennial top 6 producer (Johnson), the other Eller is having a career year that would be comparable to saying Sheahans season last year was the norm for him...

You still haven't presented much of a case for 3cs from cup contenders, there are far more than 2 cup contenders. What other teams do you see as being contenders?

No, I mentioned four. Reread the post.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I'm hoping some of the better posters here aquire a bigger ignore list this deadline.

Getting derailed by low effort posters makes if harder to follow the good conversation that does happen.
I am guilty of this. I think you are right but we are all fools. As soon as something stupid is said, we flock to it. :laugh:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Idk, there seems to me to be a "correct" opinion on the Penguins center situation: Sheahan is a 3C, but he's not the right 3C for this team. You want someone who meshes well with Kessel, and Sheahan fits much better with grinders than skilled players. You want Sheahan on the 4th line because it means your center depth is phenomenal and Sheahan is playing with wingers who fit him better. I feel like that is the reasonable and correct opinion to have here.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
As this team keeps going on right now, I'm leaning more and more towards just moving Cole for a center and then sticking with the rest of the team. I think the team is back, and if they're playing well, you shouldn't be looking to subtract anyone off the roster.

I think they might move Sheary though, just because of how good Simon looks. They have more forwards than roster spots right now, especially when Rust gets back and the Penguins add another center.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
As this team keeps going on right now, I'm leaning more and more towards just moving Cole for a center and then sticking with the rest of the team. I think the team is back, and if they're playing well, you shouldn't be looking to subtract anyone off the roster.

I think they might move Sheary though, just because of how good Simon looks. They have more forwards than roster spots right now, especially when Rust gets back and the Penguins add another center.

Yeah I think if we get our 3C the depth + Rust will push the other problems off the roster and we'll be pretty well set.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad