Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Simon-Crosby-Sprong
Guentzel-Malkin-Hornqvist
Rust-3C-Kessel
Hagelin-Sheahan-Reaves

I could see the Penguins shooting to end the season with this, to be honest. It's just so tough to guess what they're going to do, and it might become even more complicated if ZAR gets called up soon (which it sounds like JR is considering).

Sideline

May 23, 2004
The more I think about it the more I like the idea of Plekanec with 50% retention. That's not likely to cost a fortune, but it pushs Rowney out of the lineup and keeps Sid off the ice for more of the hard minutes.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
This is what I'm sure JR. has been looking for from them so he could seriously come to a conclusion about what to do.

I'd still look for a LW.

I get they love Kuhnhackl, but I would love to land a better 4th line LW and C. If we could pick up Pouliot for that spot and then add a decent 4th line C that isn't incompetent with the puck like Rowney, we're set.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The more I think about it the more I like the idea of Plekanec with 50% retention. That's not likely to cost a fortune, but it pushs Rowney out of the lineup and keeps Sid off the ice for more of the hard minutes.

Plekanec + Pouliot on this roster and you take off Rowney + Kuhnhackl...

Simon/Hagelin, Crosby, Sprong
Guentzel, Malkin, Kessel
Sheary, Plekanec, Hornqvist
Pouliot, Sheahan, Reaves/Rust

This takes some pressure off of Sheahan, continues to let him build on his solid season so far and then you let Blueger and a potential veteran signing battle it out for the 4th line C next year while Sheahan solidifies himself for that 3C job. Kind of like how they brought Schultz back to life.

Reactions: Sideline

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
I get they love Kuhnhackl, but I would love to land a better 4th line LW and C. If we could pick up Pouliot for that spot and then add a decent 4th line C that isn't incompetent with the puck like Rowney, we're set.

I dont think theyd have any problem scratching Kuhn come playoff time. They did it the last two seasons. Give him a few games here and there...

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Here's a thought I haven't considered, how about moving a forward for a defenseman at some point? That's actually an idea I haven't really considered, but it might be a worthwhile option. When healthy, the Penguins defense has Maatta-Oleksiak and Dumoulin-Letang as 2 pairs, but you don't really have a partner for Schultz on the 2nd pair that you're comfortable with. You could maybe move Sheary for a decent LD that can play on the 2nd pair with Schultz, which I think would be more doable than Sheary for a 3rd line center. I'm just going to use Ben Hutton even though I doubt Vancouver would be that interested in Sheary, but Cole and Sheary out with Hutton and Plekanec in might be something worth looking into.

Plekanec + Pouliot on this roster and you take off Rowney + Kuhnhackl...

The thought of adding another depth winger to this team makes me anxious. This team already has too many of those.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

Not just Kuhn. I see a game like tonight and they could have smoked this team 8/10 to 2 if some of these guys could finish semi regularly..

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Here's a thought I haven't considered, how about moving a forward for a defenseman at some point? That's actually an idea I haven't really considered, but it might be a worthwhile option. When healthy, the Penguins defense has Maatta-Oleksiak and Dumoulin-Letang as 2 pairs, but you don't really have a partner for Schultz on the 2nd pair that you're comfortable with. You could maybe move Sheary for a decent LD that can play on the 2nd pair with Schultz, which I think would be more doable than Sheary for a 3rd line center. I'm just going to use Ben Hutton even though I doubt Vancouver would be that interested in Sheary, but Cole and Sheary out with Hutton and Plekanec in might be something worth looking into.

The thought of adding another depth winger to this team makes me anxious. This team already has too many of those.

With the exception of center the Penguins have more than enough depth everywhere. The issue is getting the mix right. Very interested to see how JR shuffles this up in the coming weeks.

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
I was thinking about Mike Green the other day.

Dumoulin-Letang
Maatta-Green
Oleksiak-Schultz

Don’t think I’d want to give up a 1st for him though, as we can use the pick some where else.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
With the exception of center the Penguins have more than enough depth everywhere. The issue is getting the mix right. Very interested to see how JR shuffles this up in the coming weeks.

I'm not sold on their defense personally, I think they really could use one more guy if Cole is going out (which he should). Ironically, I think the kind of guy they can use on their 2nd pair is Hainsey, he's the exact kind of player I'm thinking of to play with Schultz on the 2nd pair.

I was thinking about Mike Green the other day.

Dumoulin-Letang
Maatta-Green
Oleksiak-Schultz

Don’t think I’d want to give up a 1st for him though, as we can use the pick some where else.

I don't think Green is the type of defensemen I'd be looking at. I'd be looking at a Hainsey type of defensemen, not a pure OFD. I'd target Green if I was moving Letang, which doesn't look to be happening.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I know Cole has had his challenges this season but how the hell are we playing Hunwick over him? I love Sully but come on.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
I'm not sold on their defense personally, I think they really could use one more guy if Cole is going out (which he should). Ironically, I think the kind of guy they can use on their 2nd pair is Hainsey, he's the exact kind of player I'm thinking of to play with Schultz on the 2nd pair.

Honestly, I would be half tempted to keep Cole and bet on the refs putting the whistles away in the playoffs if that's what you think we need.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Cole has also been trash this year, so I don't really blame Sullivan for not playing him. Ideally, you have neither Cole or Hunwick playing everyday, ideally you trade Cole and you have Hunwick as your #7. That's why I want to see the Penguins add another LD to play with Schultz, I'd be confident with their defense if Hunwick was the #7 and Ruhwedel was the #8.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Cole has also been trash this year, so I don't really blame Sullivan for not playing him. Ideally, you have neither Cole or Hunwick playing everyday, ideally you trade Cole and you have Hunwick as your #7. That's why I want to see the Penguins add another LD to play with Schultz, I'd be confident with their defense if Hunwick was the #7 and Ruhwedel was the #8.

Not playing him can't be doing a whole lot for his value though.

I guess you can argue holding onto him for depth when someone gets inevitably hurt though.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Oh I comprehend quite well actually. And I don't promote an uneven manner in which to debate a subject and pick out one statistic and ignore all the other metrics. That's being shortsighted, disingenuous and that formula is inherently flawed. That's the epic fail here and you and your buddy riptide can continue to spew out your nonsense and it will never make it true!

Yet you have. In fact this is exactly what you've been doing. This is one of the things I find hilarious about the shit you post. You're never actually saying why one aspect is better or worse then the other (something that several people have done to you multiple times), you just keep bitching about "cherry picking" or "making shit up" or whatever else you've spewed. It's really hard to have an adult conversation with you. And this isn't just me saying this - others have said the same thing.

You mentioned 2 players, not 4. One player has been a perennial top 6 producer (Johnson), the other Eller is having a career year that would be comparable to saying Sheahans season last year was the norm for him...

It's several posts back. Brassard, Bjugstad, Pageau and Bozak. I added Bonino's stats to the list I did.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I am guilty of this. I think you are right but we are all fools. As soon as something stupid is said, we flock to it. :laugh:

Yeah I have a couple sensitive subjects that I'll jump on when people post stupid shit... and others that I can very easily just go meh and skim through post after post and ignore it completely.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Yet you have. In fact this is exactly what you've been doing. This is one of the things I find hilarious about the **** you post. You're never actually saying why one aspect is better or worse then the other (something that several people have done to you multiple times), you just keep *****ing about "cherry picking" or "making **** up" or whatever else you've spewed. It's really hard to have an adult conversation with you. And this isn't just me saying this - others have said the same thing.
I made it perfectly clear as to what my stance on the matter is. To include all points and use the same sample size for all players within the discussion. And I don't care who else said anything. This isn't a popularity contest. So, you, like them are wrong.

Now, we can keep going round and round but I'm pretty sure we won't find a resolution. I think you're full of shit, in fact I know you are. And you're of the belief that only ES production counts. So let's leave it there because we're not gonna agree. And I'm pretty sure this forum has had enough of this.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I think they might move Sheary though, just because of how good Simon looks. They have more forwards than roster spots right now, especially when Rust gets back and the Penguins add another center.

Because of him and Sprong. Between the two of them, I think it's safe to say that one could play a top 9 role - even if alternating. And even then I think that's wrong [Simon/Sprong making Sheary more expendable], and should be something avoided if at all possible - even if that means scratching one of Simon/Sprong come PO time. See how things shake out, then address it in the summer.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
We don't play DAL again til Feb.9th...
CHI was back again after the DET Sat. game.

Could deffo see some Cole interest from both of these teams and Franson interest from PIT's end since he was successfully waived...
Also the obvious 3C possibilities too from DAL...

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The criteria that was used on Sheahan though was for this season. So that's the criteria we should use for every player. That's how you can have an appropriate and fairminded debate. And the four players I mentioned are more productive. Or do you want to use lifetime stats for each player? You can't say what Eller did for his career and then only use Sheahans stats for this season, otherwise it's an uneven argument. Surely you see that, yes?

Jesus f***ing christ...

Lars Eller is also playing with TJ Oshie. Imagine that, his production which is usually around 29pts, is now on pace for 39+...it's...it's like when you put talented players with marginally decent players, they like, produce or something.

Sheahan has had a rotation of wingers and is producing numbers he's produced before in back 2 back years with the Red Wings. Meanwhile, Eller is producing numbers he only did in a shortened season and then never again and now to get offense out of him on a roster that needs more out of cheaper players, they put Oshie with Sheahan. Imagine, if you are capable, Sheahan rebounding into the 30+ pt player he is and then suddenly also having wingers that can finish to take advantage of his playmaking, you know, kind of like how lines work and production.

Last edited:
Reactions: Riptide
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad