Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | Nine Mile Skid on a Ten Mile Ride

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
The cap implications in and of themselves preclude such a move.

It a summer type deal and I don’t see the cap being a problem. The trade wouldn’t be for draft picks so cap is coming back and if they needed more they can move things around or it could be as simple as don’t RW sign a UFA

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Is it though? I wonder what his value is at 7.5 mil per to a team that looks about as far away from contending as possible.

You still have teams like Montreal that would kill for him. The whole wanting top 6 centres for the 3C spot is that other teams need them for a top 6 spot, the price would reflect that and their cap hits do as well.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Let me throw this out there:

Letang for ROR and a 2nd round pick in 2018.
Our 2018 1st for Mike Green at 50%.

Trade

Guentzel is ELITE
Apr 13, 2015

What if Sid gets sad you traded another one of his best friends and starts to slump again? What if he realizes Him and Geno are the only members of the big happy Penguin family left?

Sid might never be the same.

Hottubber

Feb 9, 2010

I’d prefer to do the 1st deal in the summer

Save our 1st rounder and sign a guy like Green or Jack Johnson in the summer as a UFA.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Kane would either be a Grand SLAM or a meltdown..... I would probably take the shot if given the opportunity.

So when you have a team that is b2b champions, you really don't risk that. But Kane for a rental minimalizes that situation. Kane re-signed does not.

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
What if Sid gets sad you traded another one of his best friends and starts to slump again? What if he realizes Him and Geno are the only members of the big happy Penguin family left?

Sid might never be the same.
You could lure Armstrong out of retirement, trade for Jack Johnson, sign Talbot, re-acquire Fleury and tell Recchi to take a hike...

Reactions: Trade

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Is it though? I wonder what his value is at 7.5 mil per to a team that looks about as far away from contending as possible.

I get why Buffalo might sell but I think the list of buyers would be through the door. He is, to the right team, a franchise changer. His value should be higher than duchene or Turris.

(don't have time to address your other posts right now but some fair points).

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
If we're goin after a Center on Buffalo it should be Reinhart. Although that to is highly unlikely. But a trade for Reinhart and Kane would solve a lot of issues upfront. And it would require a lot going back.

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
Ruhwedel is about to come off IR. We will be at the roster limit when that happens(12F, 8D, 3G). Rowney and Rust are on IR, so when they come off IR(assuming DeSmith goes back down), we will have 24 players on the roster. Who goes down?

I’d bet Simon goes down and here is our roster:

Rust/Sheary-Crosby-Sprong
Hagelin-Malkin-Hornqvist/Kessel
Sheary/Rust-Guentzel-Kessel/Hornqvist
Kuhnhackl-Sheahan-Reaves
Dumoulin-Letang
Maatta-Schultz
Hunwick-Oleksiak
Murray
Jarry
EX: Rowney, Cole, Ruhwedel

Ideally, Sheary+Cole+? are traded for a 3C or an upgrade on LW and Simon gets recalled.

Simon-Crosby-Sprong
Hagelin-Malkin-Hornqvist
Guentzel/LW-3C/Guentzel-Kessel
Rust-Sheahan-Reaves
Dumoulin-Letang
Maatta-Schultz
Hunwick-Oleksiak
Murray
Jarry
EX: Rowney, Kuhnhackl, Ruhwedel

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
In terms of next season we’re looking pretty good if we find a better fit at 3C (some FA’s available). If the cap goes to 80 mil we’d have roughly 7 mil for a 3C, physical LW and a bottom pair D (Hunwick traded for whatever pick). We can make a pretty awesome team out of that. So deep on wing.

Centres: Crosby, Malkin, Sheahan (1.8), Trade/FA

Right wing: Sprong, Hornqvist (5.5), Kessel, Rust (2.3)

Left wing: Guentzel, Sheary, Hagelin, Trade/FA

Defense: Letang, Dumoulin, Maatta, Schultz, Oleksiak(1.5), Ruhwedel, Trade/FA

Goalie: Murray, Jarry (1.1)

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
The problem there, as I see it, is that when Malkin went down for us this year, we didn't move Sheahan up the line-up like we did with Bones. We scuttled over a 23 year old who hadn't played center in the pros instead.

Whatever people want to guess the rationale behind that is, that's what happened. Given JR's public thoughts on what he's been looking for out of a 3C, I have an idea.

Personally, if we don't acquire a better offensive 3C before the deadline, I'm going to be surprised and disappointed. Sheahan's track record of production is inconsistent and he hasn't shown himself capable of exploiting Kessel so we can run 3 scoring lines, and Guentzel's presently more effective at wing shouldn't be shouldering that kind of weight on a contender in his 2nd year.

I feel like vujteks post shows that you're overstating sheahans offensive downfalls but at the same time, yeah, it's not consistently good, he's not a great attacking centre, and he's gunshy about shooting. If people want that great attacking centre, he's not the answer. Its probably not what the org wanted either, although I think they can live with it.

Whether we can add that better attacking centre, I don't know. I don't think it's in Rutherford's hands tbh. And I certainly wouldn't be surprised if we don't. There's a really short list of possible guys and good reasons why they wouldn't actually be available.

I deffo won't be disappointed though because this is what I set my expectations for during the bonino arguments. The chance of getting a centre on that level seemed low then and things haven't improved.

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
I looked for who said it first and couldn’t find it, but this is a perfect way to describe Sheahan on this team:

Sheahan is an adequate third line center.
We aren’t trying to be an adequate team.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
In terms of next season we’re looking pretty good if we find a better fit at 3C (some FA’s available). If the cap goes to 80 mil we’d have roughly 7 mil for a 3C, physical LW and a bottom pair D (Hunwick traded for whatever pick). We can make a pretty awesome team out of that. So deep on wing.

Centres: Crosby, Malkin, Sheahan (1.8), Trade/FA

Right wing: Sprong, Hornqvist (5.5), Kessel, Rust (2.3)

Left wing: Guentzel, Sheary, Hagelin, Trade/FA

Defense: Letang, Dumoulin, Maatta, Schultz, Oleksiak(1.5), Ruhwedel, Trade/FA

Goalie: Murray, Jarry (1.1)

Why are you assuming Sheahan will take less to sign here? He makes over $2 mil and is RFA. He will be tendered at that amount. Why is he going to sign for less?

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
I looked for who said it first and couldn’t find it, but this is a perfect way to describe Sheahan on this team:

Sheahan is an adequate third line center.
We aren’t trying to be an adequate team.

What Sheahan does is allow our biggest competitive advantage (top 2 Cs) to still be an advantage without giving it all back on the bottom 2 Cs. Hes not going to be a differece maker but he is good enough to win with as long as you dont have holes elsewhere. Unfortunetly we do.

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
What Sheahan does is allow our biggest competitive advantage (top 2 Cs) to still be an advantage without giving it all back on the bottom 2 Cs. Hes not going to be a differece maker but he is good enough to win with as long as you dont have holes elsewhere. Unfortunetly we do.
Read my post again.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Why are you assuming Sheahan will take less to sign here? He makes over $2 mil and is RFA. He will be tendered at that amount. Why is he going to sign for less?

Is he really going to get much more? I don’t think he’ll be here if he wants much more than that.

He’ll likely need to take a short term deal at a low cap hit. If he does well next season then he’ll get a bigger contract.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I feel like vujteks post shows that you're overstating sheahans offensive downfalls but at the same time, yeah, it's not consistently good, he's not a great attacking centre, and he's gunshy about shooting. If people want that great attacking centre, he's not the answer. Its probably not what the org wanted either, although I think they can live with it.

Whether we can add that better attacking centre, I don't know. I don't think it's in Rutherford's hands tbh. And I certainly wouldn't be surprised if we don't. There's a really short list of possible guys and good reasons why they wouldn't actually be available.

I deffo won't be disappointed though because this is what I set my expectations for during the bonino arguments. The chance of getting a centre on that level seemed low then and things haven't improved.

All fair. But my expectation is that we do everything we can to win it all again this year, and I simply don't see that happening with our current center situation. Other teams have gotten better and we have a sizable roster hole that we didn't have last year when we defied the possession gods.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Is he really going to get much more? I don’t think he’ll be here if he wants much more than that.

He’ll likely need to take a short term deal at a low cap hit. If he does well next season then he’ll get a bigger contract.

He'll just take it to arbitration on a one year deal and get at least his current salary. Team has to pay him if they offer him at all. Only way he takes less is a multi year deal negotiated before qualifying period starts...just doubt that happens

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
How do people here feel about Mike Green anyway?

If we were to move on from Letang to address other issues, he's a guy I'd be looking at.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

With a one year deal he’d hit free agency and given his performance here I’d expect a longer deal than that. They’d be buying UFA years. He’s had bad seasons but he’s rebounded well here. 26 year old 3C with size who is currently performing at a 32p pace. The cap could go up to 80M. It probably depends on what he does for the rest of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad