Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building - Locked in until July

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Things with Klefbom. Injury history. Quite the inconsistent history. Mainly, Chia is the type of idiot GM who will trade him for a much lower return than you’d expect. Something like a 2nd and a bad prospect (Hall) for Klefbom and a later pick that somehow turns into a good player.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
That's a pretty fair assessment.

Dumoulin's inability to put up points is so weird. He pinches, he keeps pucks in the zone, he makes great outlet passes, has a quality shot - and will actually use it. And on top of that, the team produces when he's on the ice, and yet despite all that... the points typically do not really come to him.

Fun fact: Dumoulin has more goals than Justin Schultz this year!

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
People want to blame Letang, but Schultz is one of the main reasons our D has been a disaster. Arguably, more so than Letang.

Yup, he’s not been close to last year. I don’t think Maatta is a good fit with though.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I’d argue our team would probably have a better fit of D if we had retained Hainsey or Daley over Schultz.

Also, would’ve likely allowed us to bring in another D man.

Yikes.

Where does Sprong realistically fit in, though? I mean... if you are the Penguins and Sullivan.

On any RW in the top 9 next year. I'm being optimistic and assuming that Sheary essentially has these playoffs to show the team he can contribute something beyond replacement-level play for 3 mil per while Sprong is waiver exempt, which means that if Sheary doesn't significantly improve on what he's done so far this year, he's going to be moved for cap space that would be better used elsewhere and Sprong will get his shot.

Reactions: Shady Machine

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I guess? He’s on pace for what Maatta is this year.

K41Prr4.gif

Schultz is on pace for 4 more points per 82 games despite getting his eggs scrambled. He's clearly a better offensive defenseman than Maatta.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Still our 2nd best offensive defenseman despite concussion and defense partner issues.

Right. But at over 5 mil he’s gotta be better next year. I’m not gonna rag on him too hard because he was so big in the playoffs last year, but he needs to be better at his cap hit.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Right. But at over 5 mil he’s gotta be better next year. I’m not gonna rag on him too hard because he was so big in the playoffs last year, but he needs to be better at his cap hit.

Without the concussion fog, I have every confidence that his production will improve next year. As far as his defense, I don't think he's any worse in his role this season than any other member of the defense short of Ruhwedel.

And even if he isn't, he's pretty far down the list of cap concerns for me. RH shot offensive defensemen who score 32 points in their off-years aren't coming any cheaper than 5.5 mil per.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I’d argue our team would probably have a better fit of D if we had retained Hainsey or Daley over Schultz.

Also, would’ve likely allowed us to bring in another D man.

I'm really curious as to how you can equate Daley and Hainsey in the same sentence... I mean these two couldn't be more different in how they play...

I think retaining one of those guys AND Schultz would have done wonders for us. Especially now that we have Oleksiak here. But I wouldn't want Hainsey instead of Schultz, and I wouldn't take Daley and his contract over Schultz. Our team depends on us being able to move the puck... and for that we need Schultz or someone like him.

Right, he’s the only guy outside Letang who’s good offensively... buuut he’s not that good this year.

This goes back to the part about Dumoulin... and how people only look at their points as an indicator of their production. Schultz's abilities with the puck (passing, shot, skating) are what allows our forwards to do what they do best.

If you want any sort of reminder as to what our blueline looks like without that, simply go look at some playoff games from 2017 vs 2016. Yes I get that he's no Letang in terms of his ability to transition the puck... but that's an element that this team NEEDS. And like it or not, Schultz is one of the best guys we have on the team that can do that after Letang.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brandinho

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Do people so quickly forget how much of a disaster Hainsey was at moving the puck out of our zone last year?

Schultz isn't producing as much as I would have hoped, but I'm not going to start wishing we'd kept a guy who handled the puck like a hot potato and contributed more than any other defenseman last year at stifling our transition game with Letang out.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I'm really curious as to how you can equate Daley and Hainsey in the same sentence... I mean these two couldn't be more different in how they play...

I think retaining one of those guys AND Schultz would have done wonders for us. Especially now that we have Oleksiak here. But I wouldn't want Hainsey instead of Schultz, and I wouldn't take Daley and his contract over Schultz. Our team depends on us being able to move the puck... and for that we need Schultz or someone like him.

This goes back to the part about Dumoulin... and how people only look at their points as an indicator of their production. Schultz's abilities with the puck (passing, shot, skating) are what allows our forwards to do what they do best.

If you want any sort of reminder as to what our blueline looks like without that, simply go look at some playoff games from 2017 vs 2016. Yes I get that he's no Letang in terms of his ability to transition the puck... but that's an element that this team NEEDS. And like it or not, Schultz is one of the best guys we have on the team that can do that after Letang.

Yeah, I guess I’m over exaggerating. I just hate our mix and hate the money we are spending on it. I predicted this would be an issue this year.

Hopefully are offense can overcome it.

Doogle

Jun 8, 2010
If Detroit retained 50%, would you consider trading for Daley this offseason to use as a number 6/7 defenseman? 1.5 mil per for 2 years? Obviously doesn't solve all of our defensive issues but it could be cheap depth/leadership.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Yeah, I guess I’m over exaggerating. I just hate our mix and hate the money we are spending on it. I predicted this would be an issue this year.

Hopefully are offense can overcome it.

Meh, the money doesn't bother me. Hunwick hasn't been nearly as effective as I was expecting (although he was much better pre concussion), but aside from that, I'm good with the dollars spent. I'd rather find another PMD to add to our current group - even if that came at the expense of Maatta. But then realistically, that would cost more, not less. Our top 4 cost us essentially 21m - that's very comparable to other teams around the league.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
On any RW in the top 9 next year. I'm being optimistic and assuming that Sheary essentially has these playoffs to show the team he can contribute something beyond replacement-level play for 3 mil per while Sprong is waiver exempt, which means that if Sheary doesn't significantly improve on what he's done so far this year, he's going to be moved for cap space that would be better used elsewhere and Sprong will get his shot.

You can move sheary and still have an absolutely loaded top 9 at right wing. Sprong needs to offer more than "not bad sheary and he needs to have chemistry his centre.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
If Detroit retained 50%, would you consider trading for Daley this offseason to use as a number 6/7 defenseman? 1.5 mil per for 2 years? Obviously doesn't solve all of our defensive issues but it could be cheap depth/leadership.

If they retained 50%? Yea I’d do that pretty easily.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I mean if you can fully get rid of Hunwick and his cap hit, i'd be down for Daley @ 50% but the hypothetical for that is more likely JR having to eat some on Hunwick or waiving him to the minors thus Daley would cost close to his full hit most likely. Thats where it'd be iffy.

ATM i'd be going full bore at Jimmy Schuldt.
If you strike out there, look at some Euro options, potentially. ie. a new Bengtsson that plays the left side.(Don't think theres anything out there really tho)

Last edited:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Or our points totals with Schultz this season during 2017 vs our points totals without Schultz in the same period.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad