Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building - Locked in until July

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Rust for Sobotka isn't a move I'd want to make. If I'm trading Rust for a similar LWer, I either want a literal Rust clone, someone cheaper than Rust or someone younger than Rust.

Sobotka's quick, high energy, good at both ends, good for a 100 minutes of PK at least a season and scores most his points at ES. He's as close to a clone as you're going to get I think and, if there's contract worries over Rust, may end up being cheaper.

That's my point. The depth wasn't there. The 3rd pairing wasn't pulling it's weight, though Maatta and Letang were both burn't and made a lot of mistakes.

My end synopsis is that they thought they had to do more and made a lot of poor judgment calls due to the depth issues. They couldn't be more right. They had to do more because they always seemed like they were playing from behind, they were.

Ah with you now. Agreed. Most people are blaming the top 4 rather than the depth though and that's what I was addressing.

if we are trying to trade 2 guys that are alike.....why trade? or why would the other team make the trade?

A great question. I can see St Louis and us doing that trade to switch wingers whose dominant side is our crowded side. I've no idea why LA does it.

And, tbh, while I get the contract worries and "too many righties" worry, I've no idea why we're trading Rust. He's going to have to ask for a hella rich contract before he stops being our best value ES player not on an ELC. Wanting to be better at ES and trading Rust are close to mutually exclusive.

Ideally, if you have to trade Rust, you get a player similar to him but better. But I'm struggling to think who that would be that's available.

Elsewise... get someone who doesn't add a small amount to where we're already strong but little elsewhere.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Depends on Doughty's money. He has expressed a motivation to be the highest paid D in the NHL along with Karlsson (he mentioned something about their agents conferring to make sure they're paid about the same). That's a pretty broad pay range.

Suppose he edges Subban by $500k per. I'd be interested.

But suppose he wants $500k per less than McDavid. There's no way we can do that.

Yeah, but I think anywhere in that 10-11 mil range is reasonable and something we could manage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad